Linux-Hardware Digest #553, Volume #12           Sun, 26 Mar 00 10:13:05 EST

Contents:
  parallel port under linux (Tanveer)
  Re: parallel port under linux (nina)
  Pcmcia and ISDN ("Xircom USER")
  Re: Problems Shutting Down Linux (Keith McGaughran)
  Re: Geforce 256, DRI, XFree86 4.0 and 3D Accel. (Andy)
  Xfree86 4.0 with trident blade 9880 (Ralph C Blach)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: cpuburn-1.2 testing utilities: burnBX RAM tester improved ("Ginfest")
  Re: Trident blade 3d AGP trouble (Ralph C Blach)
  dual boot with Win2k??? (Andy)
  Typhoon sound card - have I got a chance ("Adrian Beane")
  Re: Which of these Printers? (Stefan Poppe)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Steffen Kluge)
  USB printer (Himal Mandalia)
  Re: where can I find cheap linux systems? (Mjd440)
  Epson 850 (davidmac)
  Re: Problems Shutting Down Linux (Torkell Tagseth)
  Re: Need help to make my Aureal Vortex Advantage sound card work under Linux (Robie
Basak)
  Sound : no sound with Ensoniq pc1371 and Mandrake 6.1 (david dubois)
  Re: Problems Shutting Down Linux (Tim Kelley)
  hdparm warns ORPHANED SECTORS (Dragos-Anton Manolescu)
  Re: MS intellimouse explorer (Alexis Bilodeau)
  adding an additional SCSI hard drive ("Tom McLoughlin")

From: Tanveer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: parallel port under linux
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:30:29 GMT

i have recently installed redhat linux 6.1. i have a epson 220 stylus
printer attached to the lpt1 port. it works perfectly in windows but under
linux i am unable to use it.

the 'printtool' is unable to detect any printer on /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1
or /dev/lp2. if i redirect any output to any of these files i get the
error message stating that there is no such device. i have checked that
the 'lp' module gets loaded but *** i do not get any 'lp' listing
in /proc/devices ***.

please help me make linux detect my port and printer.

From: nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: parallel port under linux
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:14:51 +0200

Tanveer wrote:

> i have recently installed redhat linux 6.1. i have a epson 220 stylus
> printer attached to the lpt1 port. it works perfectly in windows but under
> linux i am unable to use it.
>
> the 'printtool' is unable to detect any printer on /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1
> or /dev/lp2. if i redirect any output to any of these files i get the
> error message stating that there is no such device. i have checked that
> the 'lp' module gets loaded but *** i do not get any 'lp' listing
> in /proc/devices ***.
>
> please help me make linux detect my port and printer.
you should update your lpr***.rpm to lpr-0.48-1 from
updates.redhat.com/6.1

and there is a line in /etc/conf.modules missing to load the parallel
port kernel module:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

then it should work, nina

------------------------------

From: "Xircom USER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pcmcia and ISDN
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:46:09 -0800

I have slack 7 and kernel 2.2.13.
I have the card Xircom ISDN Creditcard and how do I configure it, I know it
is supported!

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:47:29 +1000
From: Keith McGaughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Problems Shutting Down Linux

Bill Tourloupis wrote:

<snip>

> 3. Problems shutting down linux.
>     Every time I try to shutdown linux with the halt option, I get a whole
> lot of
>     junk of what seems to be machine code being displayed on the last
>     (halt) command.
>
> If anybody has come across similar problems, and has resolved them, could
> they let me know.  It would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem it turn out to be related to my mother board a mvp3 based
epox board
I just flashed a newer bios that fixed the problem
so if you have a mvp3 based board try your manufactures web site for a new bios

lots of luck
--
Keith McGaughran
Sydney Australia

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce 256, DRI, XFree86 4.0 and 3D Accel.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:16:22 +0100

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:23:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) wrote:

I've just downloaded ver 4.0, but can't find ANY mention of a server
for my GEforce DDR, anybody know what I'm supposed to select as a
card? (I've used xf86config and also XF86Setup)
Any help appreciated muchly, ta.
Andy.

------------------------------

From: Ralph C Blach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Xfree86 4.0 with trident blade 9880
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:23:13 -0500

Has anybody run Xfree86  4.0 with the trident blade 9880?  The Xfree 86
3.x drivers dont work at all.
Do the 4.0 drivers  it work well?  Please post your comments.

--
Ralph "Chip" Blach
KF4WBK

------------------------------

From: "Ginfest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: cpuburn-1.2 testing utilities: burnBX RAM tester improved
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:33:50 GMT

Thanx Bob, I found that your "CPU Burn" is the definitive test for CPU
stability(or not), will give the RAM tester a shot.
Mike G
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Ralph C Blach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trident blade 3d AGP trouble
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:31:29 -0500

Cece,

Bad News/Good news.  the latest versions of Xfree86 3.x from for the blade.
They dont work.

Good news, the trident web page has a driver for the blade.

Heres the web page
http://www.tridentmicro.com/html/driver/blade3d.htm

Chip
Cece wrote:

> Hi. I had been running 2 hard disks, one with Windows 98, the other with
> Redhat 5.2.  I just got a new machine, and took my drives to put in it.
> This ATX mothrboard came with a trident 3d blade AGP graphics card.
> Nothing I do can make Linux work in X.  I found that this card is on the
> unsupported list. I guess i don't know these ATX machines well, as I
> thought I could just switch cards back to my old Trident #D IMAGE 975.
> Well, I found you can't just do it. I don't know if this board must have
> an AGP display, or could I put in a pci display? I saw a setting or two in
> the BIOS. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or better yet, Has anyone
> been able to get this card to work? My monitor is also a bit of a problem.
> I was only able to get it before in an Interlaced mode, but now-nothing.
> It's a Gateway 17 inch EV-700 (like a crystalscan 17)
> I appreiate any help! Thanks,
> Cece

Ralph "Chip" Blach
KF4WBK
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dual boot with Win2k???
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:25:57 +0100

Hi, I'm just trying to reinstall Redhat ver 6.0, after installing
Windows 2000.
Normally I would install NT4, then Linux, and have Lilo written to the
MBR, and choose my OS from there.
It seems things may have changed with Win2k :-(   In that during the
installation process, and I have the choice of where to install lilo,
it wont let me choose the MBR option, or even to locate it on the
Linux partiton, the installaion routine starts to loop, the only way
out is to choose the menu option, install X, then tell it to quit the
installation process, and boot Linux from floppy, which while being
feasable it's a sloooooow process (compared to the way I used to do
it)

Any thoughts..................

Any.

------------------------------

From: "Adrian Beane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Typhoon sound card - have I got a chance
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:54:07 +0100

I have just installed RHL 5.1 (came on the back of a book).
I have it running ok except I cannot persuade it to recognise my sound card.
Its a cheapy Plug n Play called Typhoon Wave 3D.
Has anybody managed to find drivers for this card or persuade it to accept
any other setup?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

--
You do have to be mad to work here
and it doesn't help

------------------------------

From: Stefan Poppe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which of these Printers?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:06:23 GMT

Thanks for your comments, I will try to find some more details about=20
that Lexmark.
The problem is that I am not the only user of this computer and the=20
other half prefers using Windows and because the other printers were=20
tested very well ...

Bye, Stefan

--=20
Stefan Poppe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G400
Date: 26 Mar 2000 12:16:06 GMT

In article <38dd747a$5$ovryyvat$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone have the G400 working in Linux?  I have SuSE 6.3 and will
>probably be using KDE if not X11.

I've got the G400 MAX running with XFree86 3.3.5 and 4.0. No
problems whatsoever. 3.3.5 didn't successfully probe the video
RAM size, so I specified it manually, but the default assumption
(16MB) would have worked just as well. Version 4.0 recognises
the G400 and makes good use of all the memory. It also has that
nice overclocking option that really makes things go faster.

If you have an XFree version older than 3.3.5 (I'm not familiar
with your SuSE distro) check www.xfree86.org for G400 support.

Btw, you'll be running X11, regardless of whether your desktop
is KDE or something else.

>Iff you have the G400 can you adjust the vertical refresh rate to
>something (anything) other than 60Hz?  72Hz or better would be optimal,

If you have the G400 you can run 1280x1024 at 120Hz... :-) The
bottleneck is likely the monitor here. Be sure to specify the
correct horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates (from your
monitor's manual) in the XF86Config file, the X server will
figure out the rest. Search the XF86Config file for "horiz" and
"vert".

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: Himal Mandalia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB printer
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:41:40 +0100

Has anyone out there had any problems configuring a usb printer? I do.
I'm running a Powermac G3 with kernel 2.2.14(usb code backported from
2.3.50). The hardware's not really important here because my usb mice,
keyboard and joystick work great. The printer is a Epson Stylus 1200,
and I've read up some instructions at www.linux-usb.org, but to avail. I
created the character device using "mknod /dev/usblp0 c 180 0" and it
does seem to be recognised as a device, but nothing to do with my
printer.
I'm sure there are others out there with problem.

ps. yes i have compiled support for usb printer into my kernel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mjd440)
Subject: Re: where can I find cheap linux systems?
Date: 26 Mar 2000 13:51:41 GMT

I don't have the link handy, but it's something like www.unixpc.com or
www.pcunix.com.  I came across their web site the other day and they seem to
have some decent deals.  Pre-configured linux (distribution of your choice) on
P200/166 systems for @$300 or less.

------------------------------

From: davidmac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson 850
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:48:31 -0600

I just got an Epson Stylus Color 850.  Are there any linux drivers for
this?  I can print black text ok with a generic Epson driver under Suse
6.3.

TIA

davidmac

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Torkell Tagseth)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:59:48 +0200

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:24:07, Bill Tourloupis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. I am unable to boot linux off the primary root partition.
> I have installed LILO on the primary root partition, and have flagged
> this partition as bootable, however, for some reason I am unable to boot
> linux  off it.  Whenever I do, I get "LI" being displayed, which suggests
> that LILO does not to recognise the disk geometry of the hard drive.
> No matter what I do to resolve the problem, I am still getting the same
> result.

I had the same problem when I first installed lilo. 'lilo -l' (or adding
'linear' in /etc/lilo.conf) fixed it.

Hope that helps,
--
Torkell
icq #43970757

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: Need help to make my Aureal Vortex Advantage sound card work under Linux
Date: 26 Mar 2000 22:12:17 GMT

http://linux.aureal.com

From: david dubois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound : no sound with Ensoniq pc1371 and Mandrake 6.1
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:59:59 +0000

Hello,

Impossible for me to have sound with Ensoniq 1371 and the Mandrake 6.1.

When I read dmesg I have :
es1371: version v0.13 time 18:19:49 Sep 15 1999
es1371: found adapter at io 0xb800 irq 10
es1371: features: joystick 0x200
es1371: codec vendor  revision 0
es1371: codec features none
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement
es1371: dma timed out??
so I think all is correct.

When I run sndconfig there is no error message but I heard nothing!!!!!

One thing important : I use my hifi system so what I need to do to be
sure that there is a really problem with my configuration and not with
my hifi system? Can I play a sound file and be sure that it will be play
only in my PC?

This is what I have in /etc/conf.modules :
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
# OSS/Free portion - card #2
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm1-oss
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound es1371
alias char-major-14 es1371
options es1371 joystick=0x200

When I do cat /dev/sndstat :
"cat: /dev/sndstat: Aucun périphérique de ce type"
The traduction is : No such peripheral of this type.
In the /usr/src/linux-2.2.13/Documentation/sound/README.OSS I have this
explanation :

"In general the easiest way to diagnose problems is to do "cat
/dev/sndstat".

If you get an error message, there are some problems with the driver
setup:

        - "No such file or directory" tells that the device files for
        the sound driver are missing. Use the script at the end of
        linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux to create them.

        - "No such device" tells that the sound driver is not in the
kernel.
        You have to reconfigure and recompile the kernel to have the
sound
        driver. Compiling the driver doesn't help alone. You have to
boot
        with the newly compiled one before the driver becomes active.
        The Linux-HOWTO should help in this step.
"

but I can't find the file Readme.linux.

So, can somebody tell me where is exactly the problem?

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:31:15 -0600

Bill Tourloupis wrote:

Bill,

Try /sbin/lilo -v from the command prompt.  That should make sure there are no
probs with your /etc/lilo.conf

> 1. I am unable to boot linux off the primary root partition.
>     I have installed LILO on the primary root partition, and have flagged

<snipped>

--
Tim Kelley

Subject: hdparm warns ORPHANED SECTORS
From: Dragos-Anton Manolescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2000 08:33:02 -0600

I have a WD153BA; Linux (2.2.14) works fine but hdparm reports:

# hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=WDC WD153BA, FwRev=16.13M16, SerialNo=WD-WM9480048436
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=57600, SectSize=600, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=30043440
 WARNING 13529376 ORPHANED SECTORS :: KERNEL REPORTING ERROR
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2 mode3 *mode4
 Drive Supports : ATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3 ATA-4

I have tried to find out what the warning means and whether I could
get rid of it. Apparently other people have ran into this, but I was
not able to find an answer. If you could shed some light over this, I
would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Dragos

------------------------------

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS intellimouse explorer
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:49:07 GMT

Jim Dechter wrote:

> Is there a mouse driver available for the new Microsoft intellimouse
> explorer or at least for the optical intellimouse (PS2) which might work for
> the explorer mouse?  When I try the generic two-button PS2 mouse, I get no
> mouse.
>
> --
> Habit is a great deadener.
>           --Samuel Becket, Waiting for Godot

Did you try the MS Intellimouse PS/2 mouse ?

It should work...

--
Alexis Bilodeau
    ----

From: "Tom McLoughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adding an additional SCSI hard drive
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:06:17 -0800

I am running RedHat 6.1 on a i686 system with a 4.3 gig SCSI hard disk as
sda. When I installed and formatted a second SCSI hard disk and then boot
the machine, I get a Kernel Panic message." cannot mount /sda8 and the
system crashes. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Tom