From: "Rodney D. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial/parallel port card [UPDATE]
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:15:02 -0800

An update on my printer situation.

The problem, was a pre-1990 cable that was not IEEE compatible.

--
Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Member of Digital Freedom Alliance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Carter)
Subject: Re: Onstream DI30 Tapedrive broken?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 17:13:06 GMT

. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: thanks for the info. that are bad news.... time to buy some tapes.......

It probably is time to stock up on tapes, especially if the rumor I've
heard is true.  Someone reported on one of the Linux newsgroups that
OnStream has filed for bankruptcy.
--
Rick Carter

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
From: "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for LCD Monitors?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:54:37 GMT

Basically I've got a bit more info (which probably won't change
anything...but you know how paranoid a newbie can get...so I'm attatching it
here...).
The monitor is a Proview BM568, and is designed for Plug n Play.
Consequently, it goes perfectly well on Win stuff, since there are already
some drivers for Proview monitors - one of which works (although it is not
for exactly this model, but...).
Reading a bit about PnP support on Linux, I get concerned - will there be
the right kind of drivers available, or is a PnP monitor going to cause
problems (a bit like a WinModem) since it depends on Windows already having
the
right drivers, and under Linux I might not find them?
Thanks a lot,

Robert.

Stig Brautaset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have
problems
> > using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN
Crystalvision

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: cern.linux
Subject: RDRAM
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:00:28 +0200

==============F2C161929B3A934D7A3D0643

Hi!

I would like to hear from people using Linux boxes with RDRAM inside
(RAMBUS, RIMM).
Especially is it is _really_ faster that PC133 or PC100 SDRAM.
Any comments on DDR SDRAM are also welcome.
Needless to say that numbers are better than arguments ;).

Thanks for sharing,

Andre

==============F2C161929B3A934D7A3D0643

begin:vcard
n:David;André
tel;work:+41792013849
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CERN;NA60
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;2
fn:André David
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 31 Mar 2001 18:37:54 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
]using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
]680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
]distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
]since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
]what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
]sites.

You shouldn't. All X ( which is where the monitor stuff is) needs to
know are the two refresh rates ( hor and vert cync rates) and perhaps
the polarity of the sync pulses ( spent a day tearing out my hair trying
to get an LCD projector working before discovering that it needed the
opposite value sync pulse).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.multimedia
Subject: Re: Cheap PCI sound card supported by Linux and OS/2?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 18:36:48 GMT

Klaus Staedtler-Przyborski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> stated:

> Other Cards than the SBLive are the Crystal 3.06 Driver based Cards:
> A-Open AW320 (very cheap and simple) and Terratec DMX X-Fire 1024
> (similar to SBLive)

Do you know if this particular card will work with Warp 3 (Connect)?

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home Page: http://home.netcom.com/~rgibson/index.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 31 Mar 2001 18:43:45 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Basically I've got a bit more info (which probably won't change
]anything...but you know how paranoid a newbie can get...so I'm attatching it
]here...).
]The monitor is a Proview BM568, and is designed for Plug n Play.
]Consequently, it goes perfectly well on Win stuff, since there are already
]some drivers for Proview monitors - one of which works (although it is not
]for exactly this model, but...).

I never have been able to figure out what modem drivers were supposed to
be all about. The monitor just accepts signals, in totally standard
formts, from the video card and displays them There is nothing tricky or
fancy there. They do not give a damn about the OS nor does the OS care
about them. That is all part of the video card, whose only purpose is to
translate those bits to a standard signal the monitor can understand.
The OS could not do anything about it anyway if the video card could not
drive the monitor. As I said the only thing the video card may need to
know is what the horizontal and vertical refresh frequencies are.

]Reading a bit about PnP support on Linux, I get concerned - will there be
]the right kind of drivers available, or is a PnP monitor going to cause
]problems (a bit like a WinModem) since it depends on Windows already having
]the
]right drivers, and under Linux I might not find them?

I think it is like saying that the plug in cable plugging in the
computer has PNP support, because you just plug it in and it works. The
only thing that PNP support could give you is for the monitor to tell
the video card what its frequencies were.

]Thanks a lot,

]Robert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantinos Agouros)
Subject: Re: VIA KT133A Chipset - Trouble Locating Kernel Patches
Date: 31 Mar 2001 09:45:54 +0200

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Can anyone please point me in the right direction. I would like to get
>ata100 working.
>I have RH7 running with UDMA33 on kernel 2.2.16. Hardware monitoring
>would be nice as well ;)
Hmmm I have it running at that speed using Kernel 2.4.2. And after downloading
lm_sensors I also have hw-monitoring. Don't forget to configure i2c into
the Kernel.

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 31 Mar 2001 19:21:14 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:54:37 GMT, Robert Hardy staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
[quote moved to bottom of post, duplicate NG trimmed]
>Stig Brautaset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have
>>> problems using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the
>>> TAXAN Crystalvision 680) - I am just putting together a system and
>>> will want to run some distribution of Linux (no preference as yet).
>>> Will I need drivers and such - since I know that they supply Win9*
>>> etc drivers with the product (not sure what they do), but they
>>> don't have any Linux drivers for download from their sites.
>>
>> You should not have any problem /at all/ using any monitor that will
>> connect to your graphics card.
>Basically I've got a bit more info (which probably won't change
>anything...but you know how paranoid a newbie can get...so I'm
>attatching it here...).  The monitor is a Proview BM568, and is
>designed for Plug n Play.  Consequently, it goes perfectly well on Win

Like Stig said, it is highly doubtful that you will have problems.  Read
on to learn more:

For CRTs, the only important things that XFree86 needs to know about the
monitor are its HSync and VSync ranges.  These are printed in the
monitor's manual or available on the manufacturer's website, or XFree86
can use VESA-standard modes that any monitor made during the last 3
years should support.

LCDs are very similar to CRTs *IF* the connection between the LCD and
CRT is an analog one (made using a 15-pin VGA cable.)  Then things work
just as described above, though the HSync and Vsync ranges mentioned are
typically very narrowly defined for an LCD; VSync is always 60Hz.  This
is really suboptimal; LCDs are digital while CRTs are analog, and the
D->A->D conversion occurring with an analog cable can produce "pixel
swim" and jitter.  'Doze video drivers may have settings to try and
reduce these artifacts; XFree86 has none that I know of.  If you notice
these problems with your 'Doze setup, they may be worse with XFree86.

The only other problem I can think of that you might have is if the
video card you're using connects to the LCD using a non-VGA digital
interface.  At that point, the question becomes, "Does XFree86 have
support for this video card?"

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:58:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter) wrote:

> Linux is smarter than Win9x/NT about networking.  You can bring network
> interfaces up and down all day long, change IP addresses, twiddle MAC
> addresses, etc., and not have to reboot.  Win2K sometimes lets you get away
> with some network changes without rebooting (you can usually set/change an
> IP address), so it seems to have caught up with Linux somewhat in that
> regard.  I've also heard that NetWare is fairly smart about dealing with
> changes in network configuration, but I don't have much experience with it.

Out of curiousity, if you've unplugged the line from your NIC (let's
say it's eth0) and plugged it back in and connection isn't working,
short of rebooting, what's the easy way to restart that network
interface and get it working again?  I know in the BeOS you can
restart networking in the Networking preferences app, but what's
the Linux way to it?

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: Problem: Windows recognizes linux hard drive as floppy
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:58:08 GMT

"NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thus, don't try to access it. Get TweakUI (comes on most
> Windows install disks);

If you don't have this, and you run Windows, you need it.  It's
available free for download from Microsoft as part of something
called Power Tools, and there are several good reasons to have
it sitting around, not least of which is the capability NyQuist
is talking about...

> and find the tab which says which drives windows can see; uncheck A:
> and reboot

This is a quick and dirty solution, but it should work.  I once
had my CD-ROM drive unchecked for months when Windoze stubbornly
refused to recognise it and wasted several minutes every time
I opened MyComputer or used the Find dialog.  The problem, I
ultimately determined, was that I'd put my Linux swap partition
in the secondary partition as a logical, and Windows does NOT
LIKE non-FAT logicals.  When I moved my swap space elsewhere
and turned that partition into a FAT, my problems went away.

Do you have any non-FAT logical partitions, or are all your
non-FAT partitions primary?  If in doubt, Have fdisk print
your partition tables and post the results.  If there's
much descrepancy between the Windows fdisk's idea of your
tables and the Linux fdisk's notions, post both if possible.
(You don't need to post both if they just lay the tables out
differently, only if there's a real difference, as in which
partitions are on which drives or something like that; yes,
I've seen that happen; Linux had it right, of course.)

> > I do not know how to get my computer to startup unless both hard drives
> > are connected. I don't care if Windows is unable to recognize the linux
> > drive, but it does seem concerning to have this fake floppy around.
> >
> > Any ideas what I can do about this?

You could also try installing a third-party boot menu (there are
many, but BOSS is one decent example, and free; there are also
commercial ones).

Or, if you have the gumption to mess with repartitioning, you
could shave a small bit off the Windows partition on the primary
slave and put a small Linux partition there and make that /boot,
then use the other drive for your root filesystem.  That way
Linux could be booting from the primary master but using space
mostly from the slave.  The /boot partition would only need
to be a few megabytes (8 or 16, depending whom you ask), which
is nothing on a multi-gigabyte hard drive.  You also could then
install LILO on the /boot partition -- meaning it'd be on the
primary master, but not in the MBR, which is exactly ideal.
(In the MBR it can be overwritten by Windows, especially if
you ever do a Windows install.  On the slave drive, it can
be hard to get it to boot, depending on your BIOS and what's
in your MBR.  In a partition on the primary master is IMO the
best place for LILO on a multiboot system.)

> Please e-mail.

Posted and mailed.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:58:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) wrote:

> Windows should *NOT* be confused by standard Linux (0x82 and
> 0x83) partition type codes.

If they're *primary* partitions, it probably won't be.  However,
logical partitions will confuse Windows if they're *anything*
other than some kind of FAT.  (Well, Windows '95 OSR2 at least;
I have not tested other versions with this, but I suspect MS may
not have fixed this one in '98 and Me.  Don't know about NT/2K.)

[Going Off Topic...]

Windows was tested in a single-OS environment.  It shows.
One of the reasons I like Linux is, it's indifferent to
the existence of other OSes.

What's weird is, DOS also does just fine with this.  (Of
course, it can't read the other OSes' filesystems, but
at least it has the good graces to ignore the ones it
doesn't understand.)  This is one of the reasons I don't
believe that Windows is built on the MS-DOS 6.22 codebase
as many have claimed.  I think MS reimplemented Windows
95 from scratch, for better or for worse (or most probably
for some of both).

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: RDRAM
Date: 31 Mar 2001 20:00:24 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:00:28 +0200, André David staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
[nonexistent NG removed]

Please use plain text.

>I would like to hear from people using Linux boxes with RDRAM inside
>(RAMBUS, RIMM).  Especially is it is _really_ faster that PC133 or
>PC100 SDRAM.  Any comments on DDR SDRAM are also welcome.
>Thanks for sharing,

Cheap   128M PC133 SDRAM:   $ 35
Cheap   128M       RDRAM:   $114
Medium  128M PC133 SDRAM:   $ 65
Medium  128M       RDRAM:   $200
(from pricewatch.com, take with grain of salt)

Call me crazy, but RDRAM would have to perform at least twice as fast as
PC133 SDRAM to match the price/performance ratio here.  And for many
user applications, 2*N meg of speed S RAM is a performance win over N
meg of speed 2*S RAM, since it keeps the application from having to hit
the (S/10) speed disk drive.

Just something to take into consideration along with all the other
numbers you'll get....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Houghton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:08:16 +0100

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Basically I've got a bit more info (which probably won't change
> anything...but you know how paranoid a newbie can get...so I'm attatching it
> here...).
> The monitor is a Proview BM568, and is designed for Plug n Play.
> Consequently, it goes perfectly well on Win stuff, since there are already
> some drivers for Proview monitors - one of which works (although it is not
> for exactly this model, but...).
> Reading a bit about PnP support on Linux, I get concerned - will there be
> the right kind of drivers available, or is a PnP monitor going to cause
> problems (a bit like a WinModem) since it depends on Windows already having
> the
> right drivers, and under Linux I might not find them?

I think all the Windows monitor "driver" files do is tell it the
frequency ranges etc. W2K doesn't seem to bother with them. I think PnP
just means the monitor can identify its model to the PC through the VGA
connector.

You shouldn't have any problem just using standard 60-75Hz VESA modes.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk