Linux-Hardware Digest #711, Volume #12           Thu, 20 Apr 00 06:14:29 EDT

Contents:
  Using a Psion 5 as a terminal (J T)
  Thanks (Will Joyner)
  37.5 GB drive and kernel 2.3.99-pre5
  portable storage
  Graphics card driver ("siapa")
  sound irq conflict (root)
  Re: 37.5 GB drive and kernel 2.3.99-pre5
  Re: logitech itouch internet keyboard/mouse (Robbie Gates)
  Re: Recommend PCI ATA66 card for Linux v2.2.14+? ("Bobby Hitt")
  Re: networking two boxen (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Graphics card driver (Dances With Crows)
  Re: can't get ide-scsi mod to work (Doc Shipley)
  Re: can't get ide-scsi mod to work (Steve Martin)
  Re: Best printer for linux box? (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Recommend PCI ATA66 card for Linux v2.2.14+? ("fREDDieV")
  How to get Mandrake 7.0 kernel 2.2.13 to recognize tape drive ("fREDDieV")
  Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed? ("fREDDieV")
  RedHat Version 6.2 in Singapore ("Mr Jackie Lee Choon Yau")
  Re: linux in notebook--modem (Xiaoqiang Su)
  Suggestions for Video Card on Linux??? (Joe Perkowski)
  Seagate SCSI Drive timeout on a Adaptec 2940 UW ("Reid Sutherland")
  Re: Network Card Drivers? ("Dino7")
  Re: Logitech mouse ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OPL3-SA3 sound chip setup problem. (Don Grafton)
  Re: networking two boxen (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Help!  Need driver for Trident Cyberblade /i7 (Jim Harvey)
  Re: FAT32 and LINUX? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: portable storage (Michael Meissner)
  Re: New Athlon 700 Box (Steffen Kluge)

From: J T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using a Psion 5 as a terminal
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 00:01:32 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my system so I can connect my Psion 5 to a serial
port as a text terminal.  I have read the how-to an I get as far as a
login prompt on the Psion with the command '/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS1
vt100'.  Unfortunately, when I enter my user name and password all I get
is:

        login failed         - on the Psion and

        Apr 18 23:44:33 keri login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM /dev/ttyS1 FOR jrt,
Authentication failure

in /var/log/messages.

I have modified the 'login.access' to include the line '+:jrt:LOCAL'.

Is there any other files I need to modify?  Or is there someway I can
get 'agetty' to report what it recieves??

Any help appeciated, Jay

------------------------------

From: Will Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Thanks
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:24:31 -0400

Well guys,

Thanks for all that replied to my posts giving me advice on how to fix
my computer.  I did what you suggested and after tweakign with some
settings I got the best performance that I can hope for...for now.
There is hardly any static noticible when i play my mp3s, and now my
computer can shut down without locking up.

I am a newbie so I may be asking more questions in the future.  So
thanks ahead of time

Will Joyner

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 37.5 GB drive and kernel 2.3.99-pre5
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:32:31 -0700

Hi.  I just got an IBM Deskstar 37GP (37.5 GB drive), installed in into my
linux box and (ta-da) it's only weighing in at about 3 GB!

with 'df' i see:
/dev/hdc1              3480423        13   3300383   0% /hdc1

with 'fdisk' i see:
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 7144 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1             1      7144   3600544+  83  Linux

I read the Large-Disk-HOWTO and saw that there might be a kernel problem
so I've upgraded.  I'm currently running 2.3.99-pre5 but the drive still
doesn't show up as a 37.5 GB drive?

what can I do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

-- Jonathan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: portable storage
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:30:03 GMT

I need to have some kind of storage mean,that is an external drive I can
use to copy and browse files. It can be a CD-RW or an Orb, or something
else.
Does anyone know what kind of drive I should buy - I'm using a laptop, and
no scsi!
Thank You
L.G.

From: "siapa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics card driver
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:49:18 +0800

Anyone knows where to get driver for Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra graphics card
driver for redhat linux6.1 ? Tenkiu..

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound irq conflict
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:58:47 -0600

on bootup it skips loading my sound card because of an irq conflict. the
settings in modules.conf say it should go on irq 10 dma 3, but in
windows it say to load on irq 5 dma 1. I tried changing these variables
in modules.conf and rebooting, but no luck. Where else / what else do i
need to change?

Its a Creative Vibra16X card running on openlinux 2.4.

thanks.

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 37.5 GB drive and kernel 2.3.99-pre5
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:08:45 -0700

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi.  I just got an IBM Deskstar 37GP (37.5 GB drive), installed in into my
> linux box and (ta-da) it's only weighing in at about 3 GB!
>

> with 'df' i see:
> /dev/hdc1              3480423        13   3300383   0% /hdc1
>

> with 'fdisk' i see:
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 7144 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdc1             1      7144   3600544+  83  Linux

also, 'dmesg' reports:
hdc: 73261440 sectors (37510 MB) w/1961KiB Cache, CHS=72680/16/63

and the drive itself says CHS 16383/16/63 on its label.  (go figure?)

------------------------------

From: Robbie Gates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: logitech itouch internet keyboard/mouse
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:12:07 +1000

Hi,
> At the moment, I am not sure if I dare to follow your complicated
> instructions of patching X11.
I've put a moderately detailed web page at
http://www.ics.mq.edu.au/~robbie/linux/itouch.html
describing what i did and with patches and keycode/symbols files.
Please note - these instructions are based on my working through
the process on my (redhatish) system, so no guarantees that i've
remembered to include everything or that it will work for you -
please keep backups of anything you change. Try it at your own risk,
and all that.  If someone does try it and finds problems with my
description, let me know so i can update the web page.

> There _must_ be a simpler way of doing this.
> Or I just do hope so...
Hmm - i feel there _should_ be a simpler way, but i'm not convinced
there is.  As near as i can tell, the only bit of the X code that
handles escaped scancodes is the bit i patched, and it doesn't seem
to read any external config files.  As i said before, i'd love to
be corrected by someone who has spent more than a day looking at the
XFree86 source :-)

> The cordless mouse coming with the itouch works  very well for me  with
> 'imwheel' (homepage at http://jcatki.dhs.org/imwheel/). Have you tried
> this one?
No, i thought imwheel was only for converting X buttons in key events
for old apps that couldn't be coerced into seeing the buttons. Is this
not right ?

> However, with
> imwheel I don't experience any problems with the mouse (e.g. the jerky
> behavior at the sides of the screens, which you describe).
As i said in my other post, XFree 3.3.6 and the MouseManPlusPS/2
driver fixed the jerky mouse.

 - robbie
--
*--------------------------------->*<----------------------------------*
|_|        robbie gates            |      [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |_|

------------------------------

From: "Bobby Hitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend PCI ATA66 card for Linux v2.2.14+?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:07:58 -0400

I'm using a Promise ultra66. You need patches to enable dma transfers and
enable kernel support. They can be had here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/old/

Bobby

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: networking two boxen
Date: 18 Apr 2000 20:45:58 -0400

On 16 Apr 2000 22:58:11 -0400, Michael Meissner wrote:

>The simplest approach is to get the boxed set from LinkSys or Netgear that has
>two pci cards, a hub or a switch, and cables (I suspect Intel, D-link and SMC
>also make similar boxed sets).  Provided you are running a recent version of
>Linux, it should support the PCI cards from any of those vendors.  I know
>LinkSys and Netgear actually mention Linux on the box.  I tend to llike the
>Intel ethernet pro cards, but they are not as cheap as some of the other
>alternatives.

Thanks for a very helpful post. I've ordered the Linksys boxed set ( a
switch and two cards ) which is advertised as "supporting Linux".

Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Graphics card driver
Date: 18 Apr 2000 20:56:01 EDT

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:49:18 +0800, siapa
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Anyone knows where to get driver for Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra graphics card
>driver for redhat linux6.1 ?

The TNT2 should be supported with Xfree86 >= 3.3.4, and RH 6.1 shipped
with 3.3.5 IIRC.  6.1 detected *my* TNT2 automagically, anyway!  What does
"Xconfigurator" do when you try to run it?

If you wish to upgrade, help/directions can be found at the URLs below:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/RELNOTES.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham/UpgradeXfree.html

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: Doc Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't get ide-scsi mod to work
Date: 18 Apr 2000 19:59:36 -0500

John Hunter wrote:

> Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with the info you've given.
> You need to cd to /usr/src/linux and as root type 'make xconfig'.
>
> Under the 'Block devices' menu item make
> no   'Include IDE/ATAPI Support'
> yes  SCSI Emulation Support

 DON'T disable IDE support, even if you have no IDE devices. Linux will
not boot without IDE enabled. This may have changed in the 2.3.xx
kernel, but it is true for all 2.2.xx versions.
 Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

--
 Doc Shipley
 Network Support

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:07:15 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > What you want to do here is to enable IDE DISK support, but
> > turn off IDE CDROM support. This prevents the kernel from
> > trying to set the CDROM up as an IDE device and allows it
> > to be set up under SCSI emulation, as John mentions.

> Let me jump in with the following question.
> What if I also have an IDE CDROM?

No problem, SCSI emulation can access a regular CD-ROM drive
with no trouble. On my system, bootup detects an IDE device
at the CD-ROM location, but it does not set it up as a
device in /dev/. Instead, SCSI emulation converts it to
/dev/scd0. Change the symbolic link at /dev/cdrom from its
current device to point to /dev/scd0 (or /dev/scd1 or
whatever, I only have the single CD-RW drive so I can't
speak to multiple drives).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: Best printer for linux box?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:20:20 GMT

In article <FIYK4.12$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Wogster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>John Hong wrote in message <8dgh50$9ap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> Easy...just get the cheapest postscript printer available.
>>Lately, it appears to be the Lexmark Optra 40.
>
>Are there Linux drivers for the Optra-40?  Lexmark is notorious for it's
>worship of the great god Micro$oft and Bill Gates, the prophet.

None are necessary.  As the original poster implied, the Lexmark Optra Color
40 groks PostScript (and PCL, too).  Stick a 16- or 32-meg SIMM in it and
it's a pretty sweet printer.  (For that matter, most (all?) of the rest of
the Optra line speaks PostScript too.  I have an Optra Color 40 at home and
have access to an Optra S 2420 and an Optra R+ at work, and they all speak
PostScript.)

It is true that most of Lexmark's other printers are somewhat brain-damaged
out of the box, but there's a growing level of support for many of them in
Ghostscript.  Use that to drive the printer and you'll be able to send
PostScript jobs to it.  The only downside is that you'll have your computer
doing the rendering instead of being able to offload page rendering to the
printer.  (Setting up an old 486 as a print server/Ghostscript renderer can
solve that problem.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (yo no quiero spam) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org

------------------------------

From: "fREDDieV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:30:22 GMT

You will have to use kernel version 2.2.13 to enable your Promise Card. The
instructions for doing this can be found at
www.uidaho.edu/~webb3172/ultra66.html

Hope this helps.

fV

------------------------------

From: "fREDDieV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: How to get Mandrake 7.0 kernel 2.2.13 to recognize tape drive
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:36:15 GMT

Hi,

I have an HP T1000e external tape drive that I want to use in Mandrake to
back up my Linux stuff. I enabled tape drive support in the kernel, but I
need to know if I should also enable ATAPI parallel device support as
well...I don't know if this drive uses ATAPI, I don't think it does since
it's an older model, it's probably IDE (which I have enabled support for),
but of course HP doesn't have any technical specs on this device posted on
their website. The device should be recognized by Linux as /dev/hd? I
assume. I do get a message from LILO about "hdg not responding, resetting
drive"...could this be referring to my tape drive? Any suggestions would be
appreciated, thanks in advance!

fV

------------------------------

From: "fREDDieV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:39:31 GMT

When I first enabled udma66 in kernel 2.2.13, I ran hdparm 4 times and got
an avg. transfer speed of 20.8mb/sec. Subsequent testing showed the speed as
high as 24.0mb/sec.

news:8dijkn$hej$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Mr Jackie Lee Choon Yau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.turbolinux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.news.groups,linux.redhat
Subject: RedHat Version 6.2 in Singapore
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:49:37 +0800

Annoucement for all the Redhat Linux Lovers.

Download Latest RedHat Version 6.2 @ www.hardwarezone.com
Under their highbandwidth application, FileX.
649 Mbytes in size on 17th Apr 2000.
If you are hooked up to the highbandwidth, you will be able to enjoy
fast download.
See ya there.
Enjoy the other FREE services while you are there.
--

Agent "Eyeballs"
Hardware Zone Pte Ltd

------------------------------

From: Xiaoqiang Su <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.security.firewalls,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: linux in notebook--modem
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:20:39 -0700

Hi,
I now run two systems on my Inspiron 3500. The reason I still keep
windows is because I couldn't figure out the dial-up with win Modem of
Inspiron 3500. Can you help me on this issue about getting modem to
work? Thanks.

Xiaoqiang

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Suggestions for Video Card on Linux???
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Perkowski)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 02:25:44 GMT

I need an affordable video card that will run under Linux.  Anyone
have a suggestions??

Thanks

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Reid Sutherland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seagate SCSI Drive timeout on a Adaptec 2940 UW
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:25:23 -0400

I have a ST39236LW (9gig 7200rpm) drive and it keeps timing out when trying
to detect the drive in linux, although the onboard SCSI detection has no
problem picking it up and Windows can see the drive with no problem either.

I've tried upping the timeout period in the kernel for drive detection, I've
tried other drives and they work, I've tried this drive in windows and it
works.

My config was that I had no drives on the card when I tried this one, I also
tried it on different Adaptec cards and even dev kernel versions. AND even
different computers all together. *sigh* looks like I'm SOL, unless someone
can tell me different.

I really, really don't want to use this drive in windows. I want linux on it
badly. :(

Thanks to whoever can possibly answer this one.

--

Reid Sutherland
Senior Network Administrator

------------------------------

From: "Dino7" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Network Card Drivers?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 02:43:27 GMT

yes, go to my page

--
Dino7
http://www.pompano.net/~dino7
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Logitech mouse
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 02:41:11 GMT

I've had this problem as well, but intermittently. Most of the time the
mouse is picked up, and the installation appears quite stable. However,
every - oh - fifth or sixth boot, the mouse is stuck dead in the
centre. Also, I'm typing this in on a Windows boot, since I'm having a
major hassle configuring my DE-Link 220P ISA Ethernet card.

Let me know if anyone gives you an answer on the mouse thing, and I'll
be sure to return to this thread if I find anything.

Chris
In article <8cvvdq$50c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "MC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The installation of COREL Linux OS is working fine. But after the
first
> restart and booting of the KDE my mouse (Logitech First Pilot mouse,
serial)
> doesn't work! I can't move it anymore! I can only climb through the
menus
> via the keyboard. That's my problem! I could solve this problem in
Win98,

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:52:22 -0700
From: Don Grafton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPL3-SA3 sound chip setup problem.

Paul Poon wrote:

> I am using Red Hat Linux 6.1. When I try to use "sndconfig" to setup my
> sound card, it can automatically detect my sound card with the "OPL3-SA3"
> sound chip but it cannot play a sound. I have tried to enter different I/O
> Control, IRQ, DMA and MPU I/O but it still did not work. Should anyone
> help me about setting up this sound card. Thanks!

Don know about the Red Hat system, but in the S.u.S.E. 6.1 package there
is a "soundon" script that has to be run to start the sound system.

Hope that helps

DRG

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Apr 2000 22:57:04 -0400

Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> > I have a Linux box and a Win98 box that I want to network.
>
> > I want to use a hub, because I will probaly want to add other nodes
> > to the network in the future.
>
> You could also use coaxial cables with BNC connectors on the network
> cards. Then you will be able to add more computers without the need of
> any hub. Howerver, this kind of network cable is only capable of 10 Mb/s
> at half duplex.

It will also provide you no ends of amusement hunting for the segment that
isn't connected if you grow past 2 computers in your network (besides its
getting harder to find new controllers that do BNC).  In the old Cygnus
Cambridge office we also had the problem that one machine (a personal laptop)
couldn't see certain other machines on the network.  Twisted pair (RJ45) in a
star topology (hub/switch at center) is much better.

> With twisted pair cables and a hub you could get exactly the same
> performance. There are also hubs that are capable of 100 Mb/s. If you
> replace the hub with a switch you could also have full duplex.
>
> However, 10 Mb/s at half duplex should be enough for a home network.

Unless you are doing something like backups to fast tape drives through the
network.  With my DAT3 tape drive, I see 50% utilization of my 100 Mbit network
when doing the dump (obviously if I only had 10 Mbit hubs, the dump would go
slower).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: Jim Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help!  Need driver for Trident Cyberblade /i7
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:58:14 -0500

"Frank A. Gerbode" wrote:

> I am the not-so-proud owner of a new Compaq Presario which has an on-board
> video chipset that
> is probed as a Trident Cyberblade /i7.
>
> XF86Setup identifies the chipset OK, but Xwindows does not work with it.  I
> called RedHat support and they
> say that they do not have a driver to support this chipset, and suggested I
> check on the internet to see if anyone has put together a linux-compatible
> driver for the Trident Cyberblade /i7.
>
> I wonder if anyone has run into this difficulty and/or has any ideas where I
> can get an driver.
>
> I'm dead in the water until I can resolve this, so would very much
> appreciate an answer soon.
>
> Many thanks!

I believe it can use the standard SVGA driver. It's the same chip as in the
I-opener.  There is an XF86Config on http:www.linux-hacker.net/imod/XF86Config
that may get you started.
--
Jim Harvey - Naperville Ill.                                   WB8NBS/9
This message comes to you from Netscape 4.72 under Linux on an I-Opener

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAT32 and LINUX?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:11:06 -0400

"David C." wrote:

> Laura Conrad writes:
> >
> > When I started using LINUX in 1977, I was told that if I wanted to use
> > linux and windows partitions on the same drive, I should use FAT16 for
> > the windows partitions, rather than FAT32.  Is this still true?
>
> 1977?  Wow!  I didn't think Linux was out then :-)

I didn't think _Windows_ was out then either! :-)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: portable storage
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Apr 2000 23:15:42 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I need to have some kind of storage mean,that is an external drive I can
> use to copy and browse files. It can be a CD-RW or an Orb, or something
> else.
> Does anyone know what kind of drive I should buy - I'm using a laptop, and
> no scsi!
> Thank You
> L.G.

Well you didn't specify how much storage space you need, whether you need to
hook the space up to multiple computers, your budget, how fast it needs to be,
and whether or not you will be using it heavily like a disk, etc.

If you need lots of space (multiple gigabytes), the best solution is probably
an external scsi drive and a pcmcia scsi controller (such as the Adaptec 1460
16-bit controller or Adaptec 1480 if you have cardbus and need speed in
accessing the data).  This will probably run you about $500 ($300 for a 9 gig
external drive, $175 for the 1480A, $25-$50 for the cable).

If you don't need more than 640 megabytes, and especially need to use the data
on other computers (read-only), then a CD-RW may be appropriate.  Note, CD-RW's
can only be written as one complete operation, which means you can't modify the
data on the disk, you have to rewrite (and have 640 megabytes free on the
computer with the CD-RW).

I don't know much about the ORB.

Jaz (1 gigabytes) and Zip (100 or 250 megabytes) are other possibilities.
Note, these disks aren't made for intensive use, but are good for transfering
small amounts of data.  Depending on the laptop, you might be able to get a zip
or jaz that fits in your second slot instead of the cdrom.  If that isn't
available, you probably have to go with the parallel port versions, which are
slow (presumably when 2.4 comes out you would be able to use the usb versions
as well).

Since you mention a laptop in the first place, have you considered getting a
larger disk for the laptop.  I just upgraded my Toshiba to 18 gigabytes and I
see 25 gigs is available.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Subject: Re: New Athlon 700 Box
Date: 19 Apr 2000 03:12:50 GMT

Florian Schiel  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   [ There is an alternative to the AMD chipset in the new(ish) VIA KX133
>>   [ chipset.   Motherboards  using this chipset are clocking the FSB  at
>>   [ 133MHz,  achieving a bandwidth comparing  to a 266MHz  "traditional"
>>   [ FSB.  They will need PC-133 RAM.
>This is not correct.
>
>The VIA KX-133 Chipset still uses 100MHz on the FSB, since the Processor
>is not (yet) designed for more. The advantage is, this chipset can run
>the Memory on a different speed than the processor:

You are right, thanks for pointing that out. It is the memory
bus and not the front side bus that is clocked at 133MHz on the
KX133 chipset.

Cheers
Steffen.

--