Linux-Hardware Digest #711, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 07:13:31 EST

Contents:
  Problems installing Debian 2.0 on toshiba laptop ("Siw Njåtun")
  Re: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?! ("Andrew Roberts")
  Linux + RS485 (Sebastien HUET)
  Re: Diamond fusion 16mb ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ATI RAGE PRO USERS??? (Dennis Abuan)
  Re: EtherNet Card Problems (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: how much do I really need? (Rod Roark)
  Re: GNOME ... ? START ME UP! ("Alien")
  Re: SB16PnP-How? (Precious Metal)
  Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD (Gilles Kirouac)
  Re: TNT video card and Linux 5.2 redhat ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Teles 16.3c ISDN card + kernel 2.0.36 (JALinuxUser)
  Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive... ("John L. Barthle Jr.")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Joseph T. Adams)
  Cwitching colour depth with an ATI Xpert@Play ("Andrew Roberts")
  Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 (Claudio Morgia)
  Red Hat 5.2 (Nicci Tynen)
  Re: No hassle sound card for Redhat (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
  Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Big Swap-space necessary? ("Alex Wouda")
  SMP Linux on Tyan S1836DLUAN 440GX (Gianni Mariani)
  Re: wanted scrap (Ben Myers)
  Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card (Vincent Cunniffe)
  Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM?? (david parsons)

From: "Siw Njåtun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.debian.bugs.dist
Subject: Problems installing Debian 2.0 on toshiba laptop
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:53 GMT

I have a Toshiba Satellite 230 CX. I am experiencing problems installing
Linux (Debian 2.0) from a CD.

At first I tried to boot the computer from the CD by changing the boot
sequence BIOS setting. However, that was the only BIOS setting I changed. It
appeared the computer tried to boot Linux but aborted immediately every
time.

Next I disabled CPU caching. This seemed to solve the problem. Everything
seemed OK at first, but then it turned out the machine was working extremely
slowly. (The installation process took HOURS.)

I have had a look at some recommendations for Linux  installation on
different Toshiba laptops, but I have not found mine.

Any suggestions (especially concerning BIOS settings and configuration of X
windows)?

Ari Börde Kröyer
Kopervik
Norway

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:45 GMT

Forgot to give my email address!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sorry you just can't hit reply, I'm using someone else's setup to access
NG's.

------------------------------

From: Sebastien HUET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux + RS485
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:32 GMT

-- I am looking for experience using linux + rs485/422 --

someone ?

Regards.

Seb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Diamond fusion 16mb
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:24 GMT

Use this   http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

From: Dennis Abuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI RAGE PRO USERS???
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:32 GMT

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced setting up a
linux box with the following card:

ATI RAGE Pro 2X AGP w/ TV-OUT

and if so,

what are your experiences hooking up the TV out
to a TV to see if any of the drivers for the
video card show anything on the screen..

The reason why I am asking is that I am developing
a embedded linux box with this specific card built
in and would like to know if the drivers that linux
already has is enough to run the video board.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

BR,

Dennis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: EtherNet Card Problems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:45:35 GMT

"destiny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>  eth0: Interrupted while Interrupts are masked! isr0x0 imr 0x0

>My current setup is an AMD K6 233 CPU with 128M ram.
>eth0 is a Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II at irq 5, io 6100
                                           ^^^^^
>eth1 is a 3Com  3C905B (PCI) at irq 5, io 6000
                                 ^^^^^
[...]

Put one of them onto a different IRQ and try again. While the PCI
architecture allows proper IRQ sharing , not all the Linux
drivers do as well.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how much do I really need?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:01 GMT

Lika Meinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I read some articles about linux, more specificly about it not
>requiring a very powerful machine to function with, and I began to geet
>interested. I own a 386 laptop (that was put asside) with 6Mb RAM, and
>85Mb HD that I would like to know if there is any possibility of
>instaling linux with x-windows system on it.
>If there is anyone who has done something like this or can give me a
>solution I would apreciate it.

With X it will be a tight squeeze, but might work.  See
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/tip-lowmem.html for a description of
what I did with a similar machine.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: "Alien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GNOME ... ? START ME UP!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:12 GMT

At /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients  I add a case for Gnome to start gnome-session.
At /root, edit file ".wm_style" and change it from FVWM95 to Gnome. then
save it and run startx. That's it.

Alien

Jim Smith ¼¶¼g©ó¤å³¹ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Precious Metal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SB16PnP-How?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:23 GMT

==============6E4E7190419B642C82CEC522

eric malloy wrote:

> How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this info about it out of
> NT:
>
> IRQ=5
> DMA= 00
> DMA= 00
> I/O Range: 0220-022F
> I/O Range: 0300-0301

I have the SB 16 Vibra PnP.  I built the soundcard into the kernel (rather
than a module) and ranpnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
cd /etc
isapnp isapnp.conf

make sure isapnp isapnp.conf  is somewhere in one of your bootup scripts

Don't forget to put in the stats for your soundcard when you add it into
the kernel.

--
Precious Metal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm

==============6E4E7190419B642C82CEC522

<HTML>
eric malloy wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this
info about it out of
<BR>NT:

<P>IRQ=5
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>I/O Range: 0220-022F
<BR>I/O Range: 0300-0301
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the SB 16 Vibra PnP.&nbsp; I built the soundcard into the kernel
(rather than a module) and ranpnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
<BR>cd /etc
<BR>isapnp isapnp.conf

<P>make sure isapnp isapnp.conf&nbsp; is somewhere in one of your bootup
scripts

<P>Don't forget to put in the stats for your soundcard when you add it
into the kernel.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Precious Metal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
<A
HREF="http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm">http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Kirouac)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:54:06 GMT

 I have read that Linux is SystemV derived while there are the BSDs,
FreeBSD, NetBSD,
 OpenBSD.

 If my objective is mainly to build a data server, which one should
I select?
 Does it matter?

 Can you recommend a reading on this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TNT video card and Linux 5.2 redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:16 GMT

I had the same problem with starting XFree86 with my Diamond Viper 550 until
yesterday.  I downloaded and upgraded the XFree86 to version 3.3.3.1.

Try donwloading the rpm version of Xfree86.  I also had trouble with
installing XFree86 from the files downloaded from www.XFree86.org.  The rpm
files are available at any of the redhat mirror site under the
updates.redhat.com/current/i386/ directories or something like that.  Here
are the files that your are going to need:

XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-VGA16-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-devel-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
Xconfigurator-3.89-1.i386.rpm

Once the files are downloaded run from the directory where the rpms where
downloaded:
         rpm -Uvh --force XFree86*
         rpm -Uvh --force Xconfi*

You can know run Xconfigurator to configure XFree86 with the Diamond V550
card.

This will make the installation much easier and you should be able to finally
get XFree86 to work properly.

Christian Dodier

From: JALinuxUser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Teles 16.3c ISDN card + kernel 2.0.36
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:23 GMT

Hi,

Wonder if any of u can help me out with a little problem i'm
having with my Teles ISDN card & Linux...

I can't seem to get the kernel to recognize the interrupt
i've set for the card... here's the details..

I'm using kernel 2.0.36 and a Teles 16.3c ISA PnP card...

Here's the relevant section of my /usr/src/linux/.config :-

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_ISDN=m
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y
CONFIG_ISDN_MPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_HISAX=m
CONFIG_HISAX_EURO=y
CONFIG_HISAX_16_0=y
CONFIG_HISAX_16_3=y
CONFIG_HISAX_TELES3C=y
CONFIG_HISAX_TELESPCI=y
CONFIG_HISAX_S0BOX=y

I've compiled the ISDN subsystem as a module and also the HiSax drivers
for Teles 16xx all as modules.

Booted up with the new kernel

Here's my /etc/isapnp.conf file :-

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

(CONFIGURE TAG2620/209717183 (LD 0
(IO 0 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
(INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
(NAME "TAG2620/209717183[0]{TELES.S0/16.3c Plug&Play}")
(ACT Y)
))
(WAITFORKEY)

Did an "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and got the following :-

========================================= lspci not found, so PCI resource
conflict not checked Board 1 has Identity bd 0c 80 07 bf 20 26 27 50:
TAG2620 Serial No 209717183 [checksum bd] TAG2620/209717183[0]{TELES.S0/16.3c
Plug&Play}: Port 0x300; IRQ10 --- Enabled OK

OK.. no problem so far... then i did the modprobe hisax like this and
got the results as follows:-

# modprobe hisax type=14 protocol=2 irq=10 io=0x300
ISDN subsystem Rev: 1.44.2.9/1.41.2.11/1.48.2.27/none/none loaded
Teles 16.3c: IRQ(10) getting no interrupts during init 1
Teles 16.3c: IRQ(10) getting no interrupts during init 2
Teles 16.3c: IRQ(10) getting no interrupts during init 3
HiSax: Card Teles 16.3c not installed !
Initialization of hisax failed
ISDN-subsystem unloaded

From: "John L. Barthle Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:54:28 GMT

    Upgrade the kernel to 2.0.36 or higher, during the config script turn
on IDE FLOPPY support.  I was having the same problem as you were until I
upgraded. Once the kernel supports it, the drive is /dev/hd(x)4 mounted on
/mnt/zip (which you will have to create).  I believe the x is dependent on
the ide channel it's on.  For example, my zip drive is hdd4 because it is
set to secondary slave. Good luck and email me if you need any help.

                                                                    John
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph T. Adams)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:45:41 GMT

Steve ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Amen...A word that is mentioned quite infrequently in this group,
: productivity.
:
: It doesn't matter a hill of beans how technically superior your OS is
: if there are no applications for it that the general public want to
: use.

Linux was not aimed at the "general public" until very recently.  Its
application base was and is quite adequate for the great majority of
existing Linux users, and is rapidly expanding to take into account
the different needs and preferences of the "general public" as well.

: Vi, And EMacs and ppp-on, ppp-off, and slrn and tin an trn and tetris
: and ispell and on and on and on don't cut it when you have a plethora
: of Windows applications that blow the doors off the Linux crap...
: Users are NOT interested in going back to the 1970's....

Most of those apps are designed for computer professionals, not home
users.  Substitutes such as XEmacs, wvdial, Linuxconf, and the various
KDE and Gnome utilities exist to meet the differing needs of home
users and/or those new to Linux.

BTW Unix, generically speaking, is state of the art; it has not been
improved on and remains not only the most stable and reliable OS for
PC-class machines, but the *only* stable and reliable OS for PC-class
machines.  The fact that its roots go back almost as far as DOS, and
that it relies on a foundation of proven and mature computer science
rather than fads, does not mean it's "outdated." If anything, an "OS"
that is really a buggy DOS extender plus a third- or fourth-rate
graphical shell is what's outdated.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cwitching colour depth with an ATI Xpert@Play
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:38 GMT

I have as mentioned in a previous post a 4MB PCI Rage Pro card, I have
finally got it to run in 1024x768 but it keeps defaulting to the 8-bit
setting.  How do I change it to run at true colour?  Is there a setting I
need in the config file or is there a command line switch to with STARTX?
Someone suggested I may need a graphics server from suse.com but doesn't
RedHat 5.2 already incorporate that server?

------------------------------

From: Claudio Morgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:30 GMT

I have an ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 CardBus on a Mitac 5033T: with
some imagination, I guessed that it features a DEC 21143 chipset, so it
can be drived with the 'tulip_cb' driver under Linux.
 I'm using linux-2.2.3 on AMD K6-2/333.
 This card is recognized and powered on but in a couple of seconds
starts emitting messages like that:
 eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001
fffbff7f 8ff50000, resetting...

 eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 10baseT media.

 It continues with these messages until I stop the pcmcia service at
all.
 I had compiled the latest tulip driver 0.9 as a module for CardBus but
it does not work.

 Does anybody knows how to fix the problem of media recognition? It is
some other problem behind that?

 Claudiuccio

------------------------------

From: Nicci Tynen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Red Hat 5.2
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:54:47 GMT

Hi,

I have two basic questions:

Kernel:  2.0.36-3

1)  I have an Alps MD-4000 printer/scanner.  I know the scanner isn't
supported and I know Alps doesn't officially support Linux (they'll come
around sooner or later).  I was told that others have gotten their Alps
printers to work under Linux using the postscript driver.  I tried it
but just got postscript garbage on print out.  If this has successfully
done, could you let me know the trick?

2) I have a SoundBlaster PNP Awe32 sound card.  I got it installed, ran
sndconfig and I can play cd's and .wav/.au files.  On boot up I see the
error:
    Soundblaster audio driver ...
    SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
   AWE32-0.4.2c (RAM8192k)
    sh /sbin/sfxload: no such file or directory
    failed ... /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/awe_wave.o
    sound: device or resource busy
and when I try to play midi (I installed the kernel patch) I can see
it's playing a file but I don't hear anything.

Anyone got any thoughts?

TIA,
Nicci

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
Subject: Re: No hassle sound card for Redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:21 GMT

In article ln@localhost, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller) writes:
>I have an old Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (PAS16) in my system that I have not been
>able to get to run.  So, I want to get a new sound card.
>
>I don't have  many requirements for the sound card, since I don't play any
>games on the machine.  Just something to make some noise every once in a
>while, like while using TiK (AIM client in Tcl/Tk).
>
>However, one of the requirements that I have is that the card just plug in,
>configure the kernel appropriately, compile, load and boot.  That is, I don't
>want to fiddle with PnP sound cards, and I'm out of PCI slots, so it has to be
>ISA.  Any recommendations?
>
>On the other hand, if you know how to configure the PAS16 to run with the
>2.0.36 kernel on Redhat 5.1, I'll be happy to listen to recommendations.

Have you tried using the OSS (Open Sound System) utility from 4Front
Technologies? (http://www.4front-tech.com) It sits in the background and
handles any sound calls instead of the kernel having to do so. It supports
the PAS16, although they do say you can't have more than one in your system,
and I'm sure the 20 US dollar registration would be cheaper than getting a new
sound card :-) Before you ask, no I don't work for them, but am a very happy
customer of theirs (happy because I _really_ don't want to recompile a very
nicely working kernel<g>) The OSS is shareware, so you can even try it to see
if it fits your system before having to shell out any cash (works for 20
minutes before needing re-initialisation ( ./soundoff then ./soundon )

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Have Fun
Jim
--
James McBoyle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the Kings and Queens of
the world of the idiocy of war. Therefore She invented tacticians...
(Diane Duane, The Door into Shadow)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:13 GMT

I'm trying to find out which hardware PCI-controllers are supported under
Linux. Can anyone tell me some options for hardware RAID-systems that will
work under Linux?

Thanks!

Arjan

From: "Alex Wouda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Big Swap-space necessary?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:54:07 GMT

(newbie)

Hello,

I notice when I running several programms (processes?) in X-windows with
system monitoring-thingy, that my swappartition of 128 mb isn't used a lot.
Would it be wise to change this size, and if so, how do I do manage?

Thanks

Lex

------------------------------

From: Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP Linux on Tyan S1836DLUAN 440GX
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:25:28 GMT

For those of you who helped me with answers, I hope this is useful.

BTW - if anyone has their PNP Vibra16 going, can you post
a small how-to.

And a plug for the suppliers - (we bitch about bad ones, well
it's time we plug good experiences too)
http://www.dynastyexpress.com - CPU/Memory/HDD/Case/Floppy
http://www.paragoncomp.com/ - Motherboard
http://www.advancedvision.net/ - DVD Drive

for destination ... http://www.nlug.org/smp/

1) Tyan Thunder 100 S1836DLUAN 440GX
2) 2.0.36 / Redhat 5.2
3) 2x128MB PC100 ECC (MB set to EC), Maxtor Diamond 17.2GB IDE,
ATI XPERT@PLAY 8Mb, Toshiba M1202 DVD, Enlight EN-7237,
2xPII 400Mhz
The built in Adaptec 7895 Dual SCSI controller is detected just fine,
I have yet to add anything to it.  I still need to figure out the
Vibra 16 PNP sound issues but it seems a couple of tweaks of
the pnptools and that should work.  The built in Intel ethernet
was detected just fine, no issues.
4) RH 5.2 - will go to 2.2.X kernel.  Compiled the 2.0.36 kernel with
SMP support and the basic things seem to work fine, there was a
build error, I had to compile the serial com drivers as modules.
5) Workstation/Development system.  Software RAID file server.
6) Zippy
7) The MB is large but it seems to squeeze in fine.  The drive
connectors are right up against the the drive assembly.  The
second serial port consumes a slot.  It woud be nice if this
case had a DB9 punch out, the100BT RJ45 jack squeezed the
DB9 serial connector out.  It would be nice if the MB came
with an external SCSI I/F cable.
Remarkably easy to build.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Myers)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.aptiva,alt.comp.hardware.superdisk,cn.bbs.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ib
Subject: Re: wanted scrap
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:24 GMT

Where are you located?  What do you pay, by category of scrap?  I have
a few hundred pounds of boards and drives... Ben Myers

"matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>faulty hard disk drives,tape backup drives, cellphones

Ben Myers
Spirit of Performance, Inc.
Harvard, MA
tel: 978-456-3889
fax: 978-456-3937
MC, VISA, AMEX accepted.

------------------------------

From: Vincent Cunniffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:47:00 GMT

> I saw the same type of behavior last night on my RH5.2 system.  I ended
> up having to load the eepro100.o module (insmod eepro100.o), then run
> Linuxconf, verify that the Ip, GW, mask, etc were correct and exit and
> 'activate changes'.
>
> It's been running fine (I have the same type of NIC - Intel PCI) since
> then.  I have to find out how/where to add the insmod eepro100.o line
> (and a couple other fs lines) so they happen automatically at boot up.

/etc/rc.d/rc3/rc.local

Regards,

Vin

------------------------------

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Subject: Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM??
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:30 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Eric Lee Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:21:32 GMT, User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
>>I was running Linux with 32MB of EDO ram (4*8MB Simms)
>>with no problem.  Then I bought 2*32MB Simms and
>>put those along with two of my 8MB simms in for a total
>>of 80MB RAM.  However, Linux seems to recognize only
>>64MB.
>
>Upgrade to version 2.0.36 of the Linux kernel. It will properly recognize
>your memory and fixes various important bugs.

   It *may* properly recognise your memory, and it may not.  Alas, since
   the time I wrote the enhanced memory detection patch in 2.0.3+ (for
   1.2.13) the preferred method of getting memory size changed to Yet
   Another bios call, and the e801 call has been obsoleted on many
   motherboards.

   A newer enhanced memory detection, which I'll be sending off to Alan
   Cox and Linus later this week (in my copious free time.  Ho ho.) tries
   bios call e820 as well as e801 and 88.  Brave people can grab the
   patches from http://www.pell.chi.il.us/~orc/Memory now, though.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ e820 returns a spiffy memory map, which Linux doesn't
                  \/                                             care about.