Linux-Hardware Digest #711, Volume #13           Wed, 11 Oct 00 18:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Linux catastrophe - Initial PCI probe hangs (Eric Werme)
  Re: UDMA 66 on Redhat 7.0!!!!!!!!!! ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Videoconference recommendations. ("Scott D. Smith")
  Re: Dr PC needs technicians (Edward Lee)
  All in one printers ("Philippe BLATIERE")
  laptop problem ("Virgilio")
  Re: Linux catastrophe - Initial PCI probe hangs (Eric Werme)
  Re: All in one printers
  Re: UDMA 66 on Redhat 7.0!!!!!!!!!! (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Winmodem (Andy)
  Re: looking for terabit ethernet cards for linux (Joseph Michael Bay)
  Re: Drive Order (two drives) (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Modem (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux catastrophe - Initial PCI probe hangs ("Andrey Andreyev")
  Re: SCSI U160 under Linux ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: R.H. 6.2 + multi processor = OK?? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Adding SCSI to existing system ("Steve Wolfe")
  Fast Track Raid 66 Controller ("Peter Aagaard Kristensen")
  LNE100TX...o.k., last time! ("Michael W. Davis")
  Max number of partitions per disk? (Hal Burgiss)

From: Eric Werme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux catastrophe - Initial PCI probe hangs
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:27:09 -0400

I have installed Linux on various kinds of PC's, but I've never seen a
problem like this before:  I have three brand new Gateway 2000 E5400
PC's, and I can't even start installing Linux on them.  The problem
seems to be with the initial PCI probe that is done by every version of
Linux I've seen, and selecting the "expert" mode doesn't help.  After
Linux loads and uncompresses itself, I see a screenful of normal
messages (no error messages) and then the system hangs - every time.
Here's the last few messages I see before the system hangs:

    PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb91
    PCI: Using configuration type 1
    PCI: Probing PCI hardware

I have tried RedHat 6.1, 6.2, and 7.0, and Mandrake 7.0.  The
installation boot images all have the same problem, and normal Linux
boot floppies don't work, either.

Each has a single Pentium III 733MHz processor with 256KB of cache,
128MB (PC600) memory, and a Matrox AGP video card.  (I tried a PCI video
card from another Linux machine, but that didn't help.)  The
motherboards have built-in sound and ethernet.  I don't see any obvious
identification markings on the motherboards, but the chassis are marked
"Gateway ATX Mid Tower HAW E5400."  Here's the BIOS version information:

    BIOS version:  OR840700.86E.0225.P03.0004071345
    SMBIOS version:  2.3
    boot block revision:  2.7

These machines came with Windows NT 4.0 installed, and that OS seems to
work fine.  (Gateway provides no support at all for Linux.)  I am really
stuck here.  If anyone has a clue about this, please help.

    - Eric Werme, NSWCDD, Dahlgren, VA

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA 66 on Redhat 7.0!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:02:37 -0500

You need to look at:

http://www.geocities.com/wrattz/linux1.html

Wayne's web page will explain the whole procedure to you. Very straight
foreward. I've done it myself esveral times... btw - you're looking for linux
howto's, I think the ultra 66 instructions are on the second page...

Kirk

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just downloaded the latest R&H and to my surprise It didnt support my
> promise ATA 66 controller card. I found a patch for R&H 6.0 and downloaded
> it and tried it but I got a kernel panic error even before I could even do
> anything.
>
> Is there another patch out there? is there another way around the
> problem?? or will I have to wait will Kernel 2.4
> BTW when does 2.4 come out??? I am in desperate need to run Linux on my
> system.
>
> thanks for the help.

Kirk R. Wythers                         University of Minnesota
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Department of Forest Resources
tel: 612.625.2261                       1530 Cleveland Ave. N.
fax: 612.625.5212                       Saint Paul, MN 55108

------------------------------

From: "Scott D. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Videoconference recommendations.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:24:53 -0500

Hello all,
I know about the video4linux pages. That said..... I am considering buying
some hardware to do videoconferencing in linux. What would be the suggested
devices? Cost is a factor. Ease of setup is the other.

I have found an article on a USB Creative Video Blaster II setup and config
but it looks like Creative is selling version III of the device. (same thing?)

I have also considered the Hauppauge WinTV PCI but I don't really need the
TV tuner just the video in if I use a 8mm camera.

Another related question... Useability? Compatibility with something like
M$ Netmeeting that the other end will probably have. PictureTEL?

TNX,
Scott

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dr PC needs technicians
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:39:24 -0700

the I Team wrote:

> Do you know how to fix a computer? (or perhaps you know somebody who does)
> DrPC needs technicians all over Europe to do on-site hardware and software
> support.  DrPC Elizastraat 11 rue Elise B-1050 Brussels tel +32.2.640.76.72
> fax +32.2.640.51.94  email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Jane Ray

No problem!  I charge $50 per hour including traveling and sleeping.
Commuting from the US west coast is probably 10 hours each way.  I can
probably work a couple of hours per week and traveling for the rest.  Perhaps
you can find someone local for the job.  Perhaps you can post in a local
newsgroup.  Thank you very much.

------------------------------

From: "Philippe BLATIERE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: All in one printers
Date: 11 Oct 2000 19:46:15 GMT

Hello everybody

I would like to buy a new printer
But I want it to have some additionnal features : fax, copy, color scan
Of course, I don't want it too expensive (not laser)
And, of course, useable with linux (text but also graphics, photo ...)

I think about HP OfficeJet 710, T45 or T65

So my question is ...
Do anyone have experienced those printer with linux
what do you think of it
good choice, other choices, problems, comments, etc ...

Thanks in advance

--
Philippe from France (excuse my english)
Sir, la sauvagerie est un sujet que je connais bien mieux que vous ne

------------------------------

From: "Virgilio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: laptop problem
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:02:25 +0200

Hi

i have a 5700ctx ominbook by HP
but the distribution mandrake 7.0 not allow me to configure the graphic
interface on X window

in fact my laptop can run correctly only @ 1024*768  in XGA

but there isn't nothing to help me!!

any help is good for me thanks!!

p.s.
windows 98  work good   ....   :-((((((((

------------------------------

From: Eric Werme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux catastrophe - Initial PCI probe hangs
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:51:24 -0400

I found out some more information:  the troublesome motherboards have the
Intel 840 chipset...  (Is that maniacal laughter I hear?)  The onboard LAN
support is Intel 82259; onboard audio is "ICH AC'97."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: All in one printers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:14:45 GMT

On 11 Oct 2000 19:46:15 GMT, Philippe BLATIERE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hello everybody
>
>I would like to buy a new printer
>But I want it to have some additionnal features : fax, copy, color scan
>Of course, I don't want it too expensive (not laser)
>And, of course, useable with linux (text but also graphics, photo ...)
>
>I think about HP OfficeJet 710, T45 or T65
>
>So my question is ...
>Do anyone have experienced those printer with linux
>what do you think of it
>good choice, other choices, problems, comments, etc ...

Why slap on a mediocre scanner and fax machine on to a mediocre printer?  Use
an $80 scanner and a fax modem and you get far superior results.

Plus, you won't have to replace them again when/if you upgrade your printer.

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:21:40 GMT

Bryan Siemon wrote:

> If you are talking about that patch from promise, its not going to work. You
> have to get one of Hedricks's patches.  I do recommend you get a clean source
> of 2.2.17 from kernel.org, though as the kernel that comes with RH doesn't
> really like these patches. You can get the patch for your kernel here:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ You also have to add
> the card's IO addys to lilo.conf as an append line (even with the 2.4
> kernel). Boot from a boot disk (or CD) and CD to /proc, and open pci with
> pico. (if you /proc/pci, the list of devices will scroll down the screen too
> fast to read) You will see the Promise card listed along with 5 addresses.
> When you append lilo.conf, you will put ide2=first address,second address+2
> ide3=third address,forth address+2. For example, my append line looks like
> this: append="ide2=0xa400,0xa000 ide3=0x9800,0x9400" Yours will look
> different. Also, if you moved drives around you have to edit fstab and
> lilo.conf to reflect the changes. You can do all of this with a boot disk/CD.
> You should also check out the UDMA how-to available at www.linuxdocs.org.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Bryan
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded the latest R&H and to my surprise It didnt support my
> > promise ATA 66 controller card. I found a patch for R&H 6.0 and downloaded
> > it and tried it but I got a kernel panic error even before I could even do
> > anything.
> >
> > Is there another patch out there? is there another way around the
> > problem?? or will I have to wait will Kernel 2.4
> > BTW when does 2.4 come out??? I am in desperate need to run Linux on my
> > system.
> >
> > thanks for the help.
> >
> > --

I have a Promise Ultra 66 in my system.

Although what you quite correctly describe is necessary to get the system to
boot WITHOUT the patch installed,  I don't have that in "lilo.conf" and my
system boots fine.  All I have is the global parameter "linear" and
"append="ide2=dma" and I am not sure if the second is necessary.

I do note that I had to boot the system twice the first time I booted the
patched Kernel (2.2.16) before it worked.

Also: "/usr/local/sbin/hdparm -c1 /dev/hde" tacked on to the end of my
"rc.local" file seems to make a slight increase in performance.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:25:59 +0100

Peter Robinson wrote:

> I'm unable to gat a winmodem on an IBM laptop to register with Redhat Linux
> 6.2. I was wondering if anyone has had similiar problems, and a solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter Robinson

Is it a PCMCIA modem, if so what make and model ? I had an IBM labtop with a
Project 336K modem which i could never get to work. However the same modem
works fine in my Dell Latitude labtop running SuSe 7.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph Michael Bay)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.religion.kibology
Subject: Re: looking for terabit ethernet cards for linux
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:20:37 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karlo Takki) writes:

>Ether Bunny: the Other White Meat.

There is nothing in the world more helpless
and irresponsible than a bunny in the depths
of an ether binge.

--
"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of sXXXch,    Joe
... or the right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to        Bay

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drive Order (two drives)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:43:54 GMT

Michael wrote:

> I'm getting a newer Hard drive today and was wondering if it matters which
> drive is first.
>
> New drive: Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus ATA/100 32GB
> Promise Ultra100 controller card
> This one is for Win98
>
> Old drive: Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus ATA/33 10.2GB
> This one for Linux Mandrake 7.0
>
> Do they need to be on seperate channels?
> Will the 33 slow down the 100?
>
> Being as win98 wants to be on first drive, can I put LILO on the ATA/100
> drive with a boot partition. If so hw do I set one up?
> Thanks Michael

I think your question is a little scrambled.  You can boot Linux from the
ATA/100 drive installed as the second drive.  But, you can't "install LILO"
on it.  Actually, the master boot record has to be on the first drive.  And,
apparently, you have already installed that.

What the executable program "lilo" does is take the information in the
"lilo.conf" file and set up the system to boot.  You should probable read the
LILO HOOT:

 http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

first.

JRT

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Oct 2000 16:46:08 -0400

"Roger De Rapp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello , Im soon going out to buy a new modem, and Im reverting back to
> linux, What one do you guys recommend that will run at 56k that is supported
> under the redhat distribution series???

anything external that connects with an rs232c serial interface.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Andreyev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:22:08 -0500

I have same problem when i plug two ethernet board (does not mean if it's
PCI or ISA board).
And it hangs on IDE probe for me. =(

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI U160 under Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:48:54 -0600

> How is SCSI U160 support under the current (2.2.17) kernel release?
> I'm thinking of getting an Adaptec 29160 scsi controller and a
> U160 disk -- no mention on the HW compatibility howto, nor have
> there been any comments on the Linux groups that I've seen...

  The "ultra160" is the protocol on the SCSI bus, and has nothing to do with
how the SCSI adaptor talks to the rest of the system.  As long as you have
the driver for your card, you can use anything that the card supports, from
SCSI-1 to ultra/320.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: R.H. 6.2 + multi processor = OK??
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:49:33 -0600

> Hello,
> I am looking forward to buy a bi-processor PC (a DELL poweredge to be
specific) and use LINUX Red hat 6.2 on it. It would be my first experience
of LINUX on a dual processor, so I am wondering whether LINUX and more
specifically red hat is stable on this king of computer??

  It works great.  However, there are a few things to be aware of, read the
SMP-howto, and you'll do fine.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Adding SCSI to existing system
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:56:09 -0600

> I have recently purhased a Mentor MP810C SCSI interface and two hard
disks.
> Could someone tell me how to add these devices to the system. Presumably I
> need to add drivers and the like. I tried re-running the installer which
> found the SCSI adaptor, but couldn't then find the installation of Linux
> upgrade (possibly because I boot from a floppy disk).
>
> I'm a bit of a LINUX newcomer with regards to setting a system up so any
> help on this would be appreciated.

  Boot to your IDE drives, and compile the kernel with the correct drivers
for the SCSI drive.  Install, reboot.  Then follow the steps in the "hard
drive upgrade" howto to copy over your files and do the LILO trick.  change
the /etc/fstab on the SCSI drive, and reboot to your SCSI drive.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Peter Aagaard Kristensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fast Track Raid 66 Controller
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:17:30 +0200

Hi Everyone
I have bought a Promise Fast Track Raid IDE 66 controller, because I want to
setup 2x60mb harddrives as a raid drive. When I connected the controller to
my computer Linux would'nt boot. It said that it could'nt find the irq of
the controller, and that it would probe it later, then it found the other
IDE drives and then just stopped. The controller is ok, I tried it in a
windows machine and it worked fine. I use Linux RedHat 6.1 with kernel
2.2.16-3(because of the large harddrives). I'm using one of the 60mb drives
now as a normal IDE drive and it works fine, so its proberly not a problem
with the drives either.
Bios tells me that the controller uses irq 9 and I cannot find anything else
which uses that irq, so its proberly not a irq conflict. However bios cannot
determinate the irq of my graphiccard(a very very old one) so its possible
there is a conflict between the controller and the graphiccard.
So if anyone knows how to find out the irq of a graphiccard I would very
much like to know.
And if you've had a similar problem with the Fast Track controller or got it
to work I would like to hear from you also.

Sincerely
  Peter Aagaard Kristensen

From: "Michael W. Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LNE100TX...o.k., last time!
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:43:09 GMT

I bought the Linksys LNE100TX (version 4) solely because there is a "Linux
Tested" sticker on the front of the box (and Linksys has been easy to setup
in the past).  I have tried RedHat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.0 installs on this
computer (AMD K-6/2 500MHz).  No luck configuring the card!!!  Mandrake 7.0
(Lothar) does not report a network card!

I go to the Linksys web pages to get the 0.93 (or so) version of tulip.c.  I
try the commands they suggest (gcc...), but you need pci-scan.h and
kern_compat.h (no problem...download them from www.scyld.com ) ...compile
errors!!!

Can someone show me how masterful they are with linux...and COMPLETELY spell
out (A-Z) how to get this card recognized (/proc/pci does show the
card...with unknown maker/type).  Assume a brand new FULL install of RedHat
7.0 or Mandrake 7.0.

I appreciate all the help/feedback you can dish out!!! Thanks.
Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Max number of partitions per disk?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:07:43 GMT

I've got 11 including the extended but get an error when trying to put a
fs on number 12:

 [root@feenix /root]# mke2fs -v -c  /dev/hdc12
 mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
 /dev/hdc12: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up superblock

I thought 16 was the limit. ???

--
Hal B