Linux-Hardware Digest #784, Volume #12            Tue, 2 May 00 04:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon (Yanglong Zhu)
  Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon (Yanglong Zhu)
  Re: IDE CD-RW (Dances With Crows)
  linux hd problems ("Mark Willits")
  Linux 6.2 Trident Blade 3d 8mb Video Card (Ted)
  Digital Research Technologies (DRT) UDMA/66 Card and SIS 5597 ("John Mazza")
  Re: K7 Athlon 700 or BP6 dual celeron (William M. Perry)
  Re: 386 ("John Wilson")
  powerup restart with ATX (Frank)
  Re: K7 Athlon 700 or BP6 dual celeron ("Andreas St. Pierre")
  es1371.o ensoniq sound missing symbol (Vijay Boyapati)
  Kensington Scroll Mouse under Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Redhat 6.0 and Soundblaster 64 PCI (Martin Petz)
  Re: SuSE 6.3 vs Soundblaster AWE64 (Sven Bovin)
  Re: Creative Soundblaster Live! OEM ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS Deluxe
("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Suggestions for best CDR recorder for Linux???? ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Genius NewSketch 1212 HR III under Xf86 3.3.5 ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: scsi-scanners ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Abit KA7 and Linux ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Server Hardware Configuration for RedHat 6.2 ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: Looking for a good scanner ("Nathan Appleton")
  Re: reliable cheap modems for linux? ("Nathan Appleton")

From: Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 22:12:53 -0700

Steven Fosdick wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I urge you to try install RHLinux on a Presario 5834 (or some thing similar) to
> > verify what I'm saying.
> >
> > Its not so much a conspiracy against Linux. But this is for their profit, I guess.
>
> I personally doubt if Compaq or any other PC vendor make much money from
> technical support even if they do charge premium rate for it.  After all they have
> to employ people to provide it.
>
> Neither do I think that any computer manufacturer with his head screwed on
> would deliberately set up a sittuation that would result in more calls to a
> usully overworked (and therefore slow) helpdesk and risk the bad feeling
> amongst the customers that it would cause.
>
> Many computer manufacturers probably consider the Linux marked to small
> to be worth supporting (or else don't know of it) but any deliberate moves
> to stop other OSes running would likely open up the manufactuer to
> accusations of anti-competitive conduct and some lawyer would probably
> find a way they could be sued.
>
> Now if you can provide more information about what happens when you try to
> boot from a Linux floppy like others have asked we may be able to help
> diagnose what is going on (even if it is sabotage).  "It doesn't work" really
> doesn't help anyone solve anything - what is the last thing that appears on
> the screen?  Are there any error or other suspicious messages?

Thank you for the nice discussion.

I actually got them to take it back tomorrow. Therefore it would be the end of story. I
am actually willing to find out what was going on with this particular computer. But at
any rate it is a really strange behavior. I called 5 or 6 support reps. They could
figure out what problem that is. A jumper problem? I do think that is possible. But
that
is the only hard disk. If it is not set as the master drive do you really think the
machine can still boot normally from hard disk? Hey, I know the BIOS setting crap.

------------------------------

From: Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 22:31:32 -0700

==============28FE5D06302A6EDBFBFB43D7

Yanglong Zhu wrote:

> Steven Fosdick wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I urge you to try install RHLinux on a Presario 5834 (or some thing similar) to
> > > verify what I'm saying.
> > >
> > > Its not so much a conspiracy against Linux. But this is for their profit, I
>guess.
> >
> > I personally doubt if Compaq or any other PC vendor make much money from
> > technical support even if they do charge premium rate for it.  After all they have
> > to employ people to provide it.
> >
> > Neither do I think that any computer manufacturer with his head screwed on
> > would deliberately set up a sittuation that would result in more calls to a
> > usully overworked (and therefore slow) helpdesk and risk the bad feeling
> > amongst the customers that it would cause.
> >
> > Many computer manufacturers probably consider the Linux marked to small
> > to be worth supporting (or else don't know of it) but any deliberate moves
> > to stop other OSes running would likely open up the manufactuer to
> > accusations of anti-competitive conduct and some lawyer would probably
> > find a way they could be sued.
> >
> > Now if you can provide more information about what happens when you try to
> > boot from a Linux floppy like others have asked we may be able to help
> > diagnose what is going on (even if it is sabotage).  "It doesn't work" really
> > doesn't help anyone solve anything - what is the last thing that appears on
> > the screen?  Are there any error or other suspicious messages?
>
> Thank you for the nice discussion.
>
> I actually got them to take it back tomorrow. Therefore it would be the end of
>story. I
> am actually willing to find out what was going on with this particular computer. But
>at
> any rate it is a really strange behavior. I called 5 or 6 support reps. They could
> figure out what problem that is.

I mean they couldn't figure out ...

> A jumper problem? I do think that is possible.

> But that
> is the only hard disk. If it is not set as the master drive do you really think the
> machine can still boot normally from hard disk? Hey, I know the BIOS setting crap.

==============28FE5D06302A6EDBFBFB43D7

<tt>Yanglong Zhu wrote:</tt>
thing similar) to</tt>
their profit, I guess.</tt>
money from</tt>
After all they have</tt>
screwed on</tt>
calls to a</tt>
bad feeling</tt>
to small</tt>
moves</tt>
to</tt>
probably</tt>
you try to</tt>
to help</tt>
doesn't work" really</tt>
appears on</tt>
be the end of story. I</tt>
computer. But at</tt>
reps. They could</tt>
I mean they couldn't figure out ...
possible.</tt></blockquote>

you really think the</tt>
BIOS setting crap.</tt></blockquote>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: IDE CD-RW
Date: 01 May 2000 23:40:20 EDT

On Mon, 01 May 2000 23:07:35 -0400, Alex
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Dear all:
>
>I am wondering where to find the info on how to make a IDE CD-RW to work
>under Linux? I remember I have seen it somewhere but can not find it
>now...
>point me to the web site and I will play around with it...

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Really, when you have a problem with something new, http://linuxdoc.org is
the *FIRST* place you should look.  Then go on over to
http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml and search for keywords in the Linux
newsgroups.  Or you can have a look at /usr/doc/howto or similar and
see what you find.  The first thing is knowing where to look, the second
thing is following the directions, the third thing is knowing how to ask
for help if the first 2 don't work.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

------------------------------

From: "Mark Willits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux hd problems
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:40:45 -0500

I tried to install mandrake linux 7.0 on my computer and share it with Win
98 on the same drive. Somehow the partision did not work out right and I had
to format the C:.  I ended up putting Win 98 back on for now.  I also have a
D: that I have a lot of files like mp3 and what not on there. It also
screwed up the partision on the D:.  I am wondering if I install linux and
the D: will I lose all the files on the drive that are already there since
the partision is already messed up.   I don't what kind of partision is on
the D: right now but I do know that Windows will not recognize it. Thanks

Mark

------------------------------

From: Ted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux 6.2 Trident Blade 3d 8mb Video Card
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 04:30:07 GMT

Does anyone know how to make the Trident Blade 3d 8mb Video Card compatible
with Linux 6.2 before I buy a new Video Card.  Linux 6.2 works with the
card, but I can't do graphics like xwindows, thanks.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "John Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardawe,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Digital Research Technologies (DRT) UDMA/66 Card and SIS 5597
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 04:32:55 GMT

Does anyone know of a driver or a technique to use this card with any flavor
of Linux?  I have tried it, and it is flat-out not recognized.  DRT has been
as useful as a football bat in helping to solve this problem.  Due to my
existing Win95 and NT setup, I really can't blow away my drives and start
over, and of course, Linux needs to be installed to a drive on the DRT
controller.

Also, has anyone had luck getting Linux to work properly with the SIS
5597/5598 video controller chips?  On my machine it results in an unusable
display.

Thanks in advance all!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William M. Perry)
Subject: Re: K7 Athlon 700 or BP6 dual celeron
Date: 02 May 2000 00:19:30 -0500

Ed Jamison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Steer clear of celeron, try the athlon...

Definitely do the athlon - too many people are having problems with the
abit board, both in and out of linux-land.  A friend of mine just spent a
week trying to get his stable, to no avail (w/o overclocking at all).

On the other hand, mine works flawlessly after about a week of severe pain
shuffling cards and hard drives.

-bp

------------------------------

From: "John Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 386
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 06:50:37 +0100

Thanks guys that was very useful. I will let you know how I get on, when I
get round to it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Subject: powerup restart with ATX
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 06:06:03 GMT

I'll ask again -- How can I make an ATX machine powerup automatically
after a power outage? It can't have anything to do with the BIOS
because the BIOS can't be read until after power is on.

I'm sure someone knows how to do this. Do I just hardwire the power
button?

Regards,
Frank

------------------------------

From: "Andreas St. Pierre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:09:29 +0200

I considered the same configuration a few weeks ago and I decided to buy
the Athlon:
pros
- The Athlon should be faster due to the bus
- The Athlon does not cost very much more.
- I read an article in a magazine that was about a year old which stated
that two Celerons are not faster than a PIII with 600 MHZ.

cons:
- I you want to develop SMP software the dual-board will be your choice.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:42:33 +1000
From: Vijay Boyapati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: es1371.o ensoniq sound missing symbol

Hi, I have a 2.2.14 kernel which is super-ku.

I'm having a problem getting sound to work with an ensoniq card 1371
(which is supported). I compiled the appropriate modules (es1371.o
sound*.o etc) and put them in /lib/modules/2.2.14). I then ran
/usr/sbin/sndconfig

and it saw my card and the drivers fine but complained thusly:

es1371.o: unresolved symbol
synchronize_irq

es1371.o: unresolved symbol
waitqueue_lock

Any idea of how to fix this problem? Do I have to recompile my kernel
again? If so, what is important for those unresolved symbols to become
resolved again?

Any help would be extra ku.

Vij.

Replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
would be super-extra ku, cause sometimes it's find it hard to find stuff
in this massive news group!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kensington Scroll Mouse under Linux
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 02:00:36 -0400

Regards all,

Has anyone had experience setting up the Kensington Scroll mouse under
Linux so teh scroll feature is available?  Any suggestions or links
would be appriciated!

Scott

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:59:35 +0200
From: Martin Petz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 and Soundblaster 64 PCI

Stefan Zantopp schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> does Redhat 6.0 support my Soundblaster 64 PCI?
> Is OSS included in 6.0 already?
>
> cu
> Stefan

i had a sb pci 128; and it was supported by rh6.0.

cu,
martin

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.3 vs Soundblaster AWE64
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:03:08 +0100

Frederic Vivien wrote:

> "Maurice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > hi...
> > Hope that someone can be of any help
> > Installed SuSE 6.3 and have a Soundblaster AWE64
> > soundcard.
> > Apparantly the driver is not by default installed and I follow
> > the howto's, the driver still doesnt seem to be installed?
> > ( output of  > cat /dev/sndstat says me that nothing is there )..
> >
> > Any tips as no sound is driving me insane !?
>
> I have Suse 6.3 and the Soundblaster AWE64 (if I'm not mistaking) and
> it worked fine when I found in the manual that you have to configure
> it using the OSS (? : open sound software) soft.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> F.V.

I also have an AWE64 and SuSE 6.3.  It works fine with the
OSS drivers.  They are commercial, but if you bought SuSE
6.3, you got a `free' (i.e. pre-paid) license for them.

 Sven BOVIN                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 labo kwantumchemie |IJzerenmolenstr 26|
 Celestijnenln 200F |   bus 116        | Wampenberg 88
 B-3001 HEVERLEE    |B-3001 HEVERLEE   | B-2370 ARENDONK
  Belgium           | Belgium          | Belgium
 tel : +32 16327380 |                  | tel : +32 14678310
 fax : +32 16327992 |                  | fax : +32 14678310

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Soundblaster Live! OEM
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:28:02 -0700

There are several drivers that will work with the SB Live!, have a look a
the Linux Hardware Database (http://www.linhardware.com) for lists organized
by specific model.

http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?315

news:8e2em4$4mj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS
Deluxe
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:29:52 -0700

Linux Hardware Database - Sound Cards (http://www.linhardware.com):
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=12

ALSA, OSS, and other drivers organized by specific product (i.e., sound
card).

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for best CDR recorder for Linux????
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:31:22 -0700

Several CDR products rated for use under Linux at Linux Hardware Database
(http://www.linhardware.com):
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=14

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Genius NewSketch 1212 HR III under Xf86 3.3.5
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:33:48 -0700

Might not help with the NewSketch, but the Wacom Graphire works with Xfree86
4.0.  See the comments on this Linux Hardware Database
(http://www.linhardware.com) posting:
http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?831

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi-scanners
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:35:49 -0700

This site might also be helpful, several scanner related ratings, how-to's
and user reports:
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=13

Without knowing the brand of your scanner, I can only suggest you take a

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KA7 and Linux
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:37:10 -0700

> yes.

How would you rate this MB for use under Linux?
http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?1149

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Server Hardware Configuration for RedHat 6.2
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:39:19 -0700

Try Linux Hardware Database - compatiblity ratings, user reports,
workarounds, drivers, guides, etc.:
http://www.linhardware.com/

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a good scanner
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:40:14 -0700

Linux Hardware Database - Scanners
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=13

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: reliable cheap modems for linux?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:41:29 -0700

Linux Hardware Database - Modems (compatibility ratings, user reports,
drivers, etc.):
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=11

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...