  Re: Jaz 1G removable hard-drive (Eric)

From: "Ken Abrahamsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP35480A scsi tape drive config
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:26:13 -0700

OK, this was a few years ago, so the details may only be close but.....
I *struggled* with one of these same Hp drives for 1-2 weeks on a Dell
server running NT 4.0 server.
FWIR, tapes on this HP tape drive will *immediately* eject after loading IF
the current drive setup/configuration is different from the existing tape
header record. The magic key to solving this is to do a FULL reformat of
each tape which will not mount.
So you ask, how do you format a tape when the fool tape drive spits it right
back out?????
At least under NT backup, there was an option to suppress reading the tape's
header record upon loading the tape in the drive. Under Linux, I'd suggest
looking for something like this option too. Sorry I don't know what it is
though. Maybe someone can tell you the command now that you know what needs
to be done. Once you find it and get the tape to stay in the drive. REFORMAT
the tape (assuming your tape drive has now been configured/optioned the way
you want it; ie; recording density / compression on/off, block size, etc).
Once reformatted, the tapes will now remain loaded in the drive but also
still check them for the usual media defects before using them.
Hope this helps.
ken
==========

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: use un-cachable RAM as swap on RAM drive
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:54:56 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Remko & Marlies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is it possible to allocate the uncached part of the memory as a RAM drive
> and use this drive as part of the virtual memory in order to seperate
> cacheble and non-cacheble RAM? Or should I just donate this 32 MB to my

Here's exactly what you're looking for:

    http://home.austin.rr.com/bkeryan/slram/

Enjoy,

Greg

------------------------------

From: Clark Brash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux don't want to boot with Promise FastTrak66 Raid Controller!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:30:02 -0000

Thomas,
I'm not to familiar with Linux, but did have a similar problem with
Windows 98 and a Promise Ultra66 Controller board.  Seems that the board
though being IDE sees the deck as a SCSI and to get my system to work I
had to enter SCSI as my first boot step.  You might want to go to the
Promise web site http://support.promise.com/install/id_install.asp?
product/fasttrak66 and read their suggested fixes and adapt them to your
Linux system
Hope this helps, Clark

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ghost partition
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:32:05 -0500

At startup, I have three partitions; 'fdisk' shows the two I put there.
Ideas?

[from 'dmesg' output]
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda4

[from 'fdisk']
Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2495 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1        33    265072   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2   *        34      2495  19776015   83  Linux native

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Cliff Sharp   |  Hate spam? Take the Boulder Pledge!                      |

------------------------------

From: Jon Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: atlon thunderbird, problems with vi and screen writing
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:02:03 -0700

I have red hat 6.2,  and a 950 Mhz athlon with asus a7v motherboard.
I have several odd problems that i haven't encountered before.  I have
redhat 6.2 running
on a pentium system with none of the peculiarities.

when editing a file with vi, frequently get message
error opening swap file
at the same time it seems to get stuck for a few seconds.  it can happen

either when opening or closing a file.  it doesn't happen consistently.

Sometimes characters appear on the screen, not on one of the terminal
windows.
(I use gnome terminal usually, but i don't think that matters)
In a recent example, i was running a make file in a terminal window and
the first line
was GNU etc. and The GN appeared outside the terminal window.  Refresh
desktop
clears the offending characters.

In writing to file using g77, frequently not all of the file is
written.  The same program has
no trouble on the other Pentium compter (the files are cross mounted so
i use the same
executable)

As far as I know the two computers are configured the same, although I
can't be absolutely
sure since they were confugured at different times.  I don't know if it
is a configuration
problem or something funny with the cpu or motherboard or perhaps one
should use
a different kernel.?

One of the oddities is that the problems seem to happen randomly.

--
Jon Wright
University of California, San Diego

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSI694 and Promise ATA100
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:07:24 GMT

Jabroni154 wrote:

> I am trying to get full ATA100 support together
> for my Linux install but I've had some difficulties.
> I have the MSI 694D Pro with the Promise 100
> controller.
>
> 1st attempt:
> - Installed RedHat 7.0 on IDE0,IDE1
> - Compiled 2.4.0-test9 with Promise chip support
> - Tested/verified kernel
> - Moved HDs to IDE2/3
> - Changed fstab and lilo accordingly to mount
>   correctly
> - Attached CD-ROM drives
> - Made a few kernel tweaks, recompiled
> - Tried to rerun lilo
>     Error : Cannot write to hda, read-only
> - Changed lilo to point to hde
> - Hosed, LILO hangs at LI since LILO does not
>   detect ide2,ide3
>
> 2nd attempt:
> - Reinstalled Redhat 7.0 on IDE0,IDE1
> - Compiled 2.4.0-test9 with Promise chip support
> - Tested/verified kernel
> - Added append="ide2=...,... ide3=....,..."
> - Moved hard drives to IDE2, IDE3
> - Tried to boot 2.4.0-test9 - failed, irq timeout
>   on both drives
> - Tried adding "ide2=0x...,0x...,18 ide3=....... ide=reverse"
> - Failed again, same problem
> - Moved drives back to IDE0,IDE1
> - Deleted append
> - Went back to old kernel w/drives on IDE0,IDE1
> - Attached CD-ROM drives
>
> My question is, can I recompile the kernel at all without
> going through this pain of swapping back and forth, i.e. can
> I get LILO to recognize hde somehow and boot correctly so I
> can change lilo.conf to point to hde instead of hda. Also, if
> I leave the CD-ROMs off, I can do lilo from the command prompt
> without the error just fine. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Aaron

Do you have the global parameter: "linear" in your "lilo.conf" file?

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH + HDD problems
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:22:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  When I attempt a RHLinux install my system reports a hard disk
> `oops0000' and `compressed file at block 0'. I tried cfdisk but
> get the same report. I can't install RHLinux 6.2
>
>  Can someone help me get this hard disk into serviceable condition
> so I can install Linux?
>
> --
> Joe

More information please.

Have you ever had anything on the disk?

Do you have anything on the disk that you want to keep?

If yes to the first question and no to the second; then: try DOS fdisk.
Just format it for one partition for the whole thing or the 8.4 GB if it
is larger.  Then try Linux again.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:31:31 -0500

Jon Wright wrote:
> I have red hat 6.2,  and a 950 Mhz athlon with asus a7v motherboard.
> I have several odd problems that i haven't encountered before.

Post the output of `hdparm -i /dev/hda` and `hdparm -v /dev/hda`.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

From: "Vincent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Jaz 1G removable hard-drive
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:19:54 +0800

In dmesg, scsi: 0 hosts, so cannot mount.

"CDM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news:8t6b5r$bie$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Ghost partition
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:12 GMT

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:32:05 -0500, "Clifton T. Sharp Jr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At startup, I have three partitions; 'fdisk' shows the two I put there.
>Ideas?

>[from 'dmesg' output]
>Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda4

>[from 'fdisk']
>Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2495 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hda1             1        33    265072   82  Linux swap
>/dev/hda2   *        34      2495  19776015   83  Linux native

What does cfdisk show?  I've always liked it more than fdisk.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Dunbar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,ar.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Miss and Mach config files from differnt distribution.
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:25:49 -0500

Hello All,
      I like some of the configuration files that are in the Caldera
Linux distribution.  I also like some of the configuration files that
Red Hat uses in there package.  What I would like to do is miss & mach.
I like the config files that Caldara used to config printers and modems
can I copy them into Red Hat and expect it to work?

Thanks in Advance
Kevin

------------------------------

From: Nicholas Yue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:18:54 +0800

Igor wrote:

> If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> one of them).

        You might also want to have a look at FlyVideo'98.

        http://www.lifeview.com

        They have W2K support and also URL links to Linux.

        The application software that comes with it is quite buggy (overlay
display problem). The drivers works fine.

        I use AVI_IO (http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/) instead.

        The card uses the Conexant (formerly BrookTree) chip BT878
(http://www.lifeview.com/DOWNLOAD/Main.htm)

Cheers

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mystery Processor wont run Redhat 6.1
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:48:04 -0400

Hi,
    I was given a 90 Mhz computer with 80megs of ram.
I put in a hard drive that already had Redhat 6.1 installed
on it. When I try to boot it up, I got a message, "Checking
if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode....No
Kernel Panic This kernel doesn't support cpu's with broken WP.
Recompile it for a 386." A friend who gave me the computer was running
an older version of Win95 and when he tried to install
Win98, he got a message saying that the computer needs
a processor that is a 486 or better.

                                                      Thanks
                                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: "Jason Carlisle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet card problem...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:25:53 GMT

Well, upon talking to someone in #linux, I found that 2.2.15 doesnt support
the 3c450.  Now ive recompiled a newer kernel.. (2.2.17) which fixed my old
problem but I'm still having problems.  The 3c450 is being detected as eth0
irq:5 io:0x4900, and eth1 3cSOHO100-TX  irq:10 io:0x4000.  The eth0 ip info
is configured statically, and loads on boot with no problem.  eth1 fails to
retrieve ip info from dhcp.  So now im faced with the exact opposite
problem.. i can reach my lan but not the internet.  does anything ever just
WORK? :(

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't boot on Sparc/SuSE
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:33:32 GMT

I installed SuSE 7 on a SPARC Ultra 5 yesterday - installation went
fine, booted from the CD and ran YAST etc, then when I went to reboot
it wouldn't boot - gets as far as:

Boot device: a File and args:
Warning: Fcode sequence resulted in a net stack depth change of 1 The
file loaded does not appear to be executable

and does no more. From mooching around Deja I gather that this may mean
that the machine thinks there's been a hardware change - at a guess,
does the mbr need to be flashed to the eeprom?
I've got some experience of Linux on Intel boxes, but none whatsoever
of Sun machinery and no manuals. Any ideas anyone?
TIA
Ben

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ata100 (a7v) and linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:59:34 +0200

Andreas Förster wrote:

> When trying to install Linux (SuSE 7.0) when my WD 30GB-drive is connected
> to the ATA100-connector, it always says, that it can't find a harddisk.
>
> Any idea ???
>
> Perhaps I need another driver to be linked into the linux-kernel ...

Post your question to SuSE support, or read their FAQ's??
You will probably need to supply a driver for it to recognize teh ATA100
disc.
(BTW. I ran in to a RH7.0 boot disc update on freshmeat for ATA66/100
support, so search freshmeat too)

Eric

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:01:24 +0200

Vincent wrote:

> In dmesg, scsi: 0 hosts, so cannot mount.

Then insert the driver for your scsi controller

Eric