  Re: Hardware Problems? (Steve Martin)

From: "cOn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: mount
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:14:08 +0500

=======_NextPart_000_000C_01BFD950.FEA68440

hi,
does anyone know how to mount a win98 partition on RH 5.2?
I tried both the=20
mount -t msdos /dev/hd* /mnt
and
mount -t vfat /dev/hd* /mnt
although it works but i want to get rid of this error, which occurs =
everytime i access the mounted fs:

fat_clusters_flush:did not find calid FSINFO signature. Found 0x0 =
offset=3D0x1e0

thanx,
cOn

=======_NextPart_000_000C_01BFD950.FEA68440

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>does anyone know how to mount a win98 partition =
on RH=20
5.2?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I tried both the </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>mount -t msdos /dev/hd* /mnt</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>and</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>mount -t&nbsp;vfat /dev/hd* /mnt</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>although it works but i want to get rid of this error, which occurs =

everytime i access the mounted fs:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>fat_clusters_flush:did not find calid FSINFO signature. Found 0x0=20
offset=3D0x1e0</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thanx,</DIV>
<DIV>cOn</DIV></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_000C_01BFD950.FEA68440==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can Linux do this?  KIOSKS - Lite Linux desktop? Lock-down configs?
Date: 18 Jun 2000 09:58:08 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:42:18 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>SECURITY
>-------

>Prevent anyone displaying on X remotely (man xauth)

No man page or xauth required:

        xhost -

will do.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ext2 filesystem.....
Date: 18 Jun 2000 10:00:59 EDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:30:47 GMT, B
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>i recently put a 210 Mb hdd in it (in addition to my 540 Mb hdd) and it
>already had the MS fat filesystem on it, and it runs REALLY slow (like the
>dox say) and i want to know how to make it user the ext2 filesystem.

fdisk it, then mke2fs it.  Simple as that.

>number 2)
>i have a yamaha Opl-SAx sound card and was wondering how to use the on board
>ide controller for it (i couldnt find it in all the options when i compiled
>the kernel, and i cant find any docs on it)

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt for starters.  Keep in mind that even
if you do manage to get it working, it will be very slow.

>number 3)
>i cant get apache (v 1.3) to look for user dirctories. i have made a
>'public_html' directory on the user i wanted to test it with, but i get
>"Forbidden" error, no matter ,who owns the files/directory, or what chmod
>values i set on them

In httpd.conf, what's the value of ServerName?  It should match your
machine's fully qualified domain name if you have one, your IP address if
you're connected to the Net but have no FQDN, or "localhost" if you're not
connected.  (Found that out the hard way, I did.  Apache apparently
converts the http://whatever/~myhome to http://ServerName/~myhome when it
does lookups for ~s.)

>number 4)
>when i boot to my compiled kernel, the computer does not finish finding
>module dependencies, it will chug away at it for a while, and one night i

# cd /usr/src/linux
# rm -rf /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION
# make modules_install
# depmod -a

I posted a longer explanation of this yesterday; search Deja if
interested.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Great ZIP problem
Date: 18 Jun 2000 10:03:56 EDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 07:27:45 GMT, root
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I have a new PC with a VIA82C586 IDE controller. But I have trouble with
>Zip.
>In summary, when I connect the Zip drive to the ide controller, Linux
>isn't able to recognize
>the Hard Disk (a Samsung 20 GB UDMA 66). I thought there was an IRQ
>problem, but the BIOS
>recognizes all IDE drives correctly.

Check the jumper settings and make sure they're correct.  Also note that
if you moved the hard drive to another spot on the IDE cable, Linux will
have problems until you update /etc/fstab.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: soundblaster pci 128 in linux?
Date: 18 Jun 2000 10:12:31 EDT

On 18 Jun 2000 07:50:44 +0200, Graham S.
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>i am having some prob's getting how soundblaster PCI128 to work under
>linux (debian 2.2, 2.2.16 kernel)
>i tried re-compiling the kernel with a few diff sound chip supports,
>ES1371 (the best one it has as neer as i can tell)
>however (on the soundblaster website) the card is said to be,  ES3100
>or CT4700 neather of witch ihave.

What's a "cat /proc/pci" show for the card?  If it is an ES1371, it will
say something like:
      Vendor id=1274. Device id=1371
in the output.  Replace the obvious number if it's a 1370.  And my Ensoniq
AudioPCI card has a CT47xx chip on it, yet the card is detected as an
ES1371 and works well with the ES1371 driver.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help! Does This Mean I Can't Run Linux?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 13:55:28 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>My video card is not supported by Linux... does this mean I can't run
>Linux with this video card?

First, Linux doesn't need a graphic card (I assume that you meant graphic
card, not video card. If you meant video card: Linux doesn't care about
it) to run at all. Second, every graphic card could be used as console,
the only possible problem could be that there's no special X-Server
availabel for the chipset of your card (check www.xfree86.org), but
you could use the generic XF86_VGA16 server anyway.

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Speed Of Life (Buzzcocks),

------------------------------

From: gbass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cordless Mouse Problem
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:30:05 GMT

This line must be added to your /etc/x11/XF86config

ZAxisMapping 4 5

From: gbass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech Cordless Wheelmouse Problem
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:30:04 GMT

I have many problems with my Logitech Cordless Wheelmouse. It is very
crazy. It goes everywhere on the desktop without your command and it opens
menu, or closes windows, always without your command.
I tried a lot of parameters but with no effets.
I tried with a Microsoft Intellimouse, but it is the same.
The /etc/X11/XF86config seems to be well conigurated. I tried many
protocols (Microsoft-imps2-ps2-MouseSystems...), I tried
device /dev/psaux, /dev/gpmdata...But nothing resolved my problem.

I use Red Hat 6.2 with XFree86 3.3.6-2.

Thank you.

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change BIOS setting from ATA66 to ATA33
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:40:33 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm attempting to install Linux on my machine and it doesn't recognize
> the ATA66 driver.  I simply want to change the setting from ATA66 to
> ATA33, install Linux, add the ATA66 module to the kernal and then change
> the setting back to ATA66.  However, I don't know how to modify this
> setting.  I would appreciate any help that you could give.

Read the The Linux Ultra-DMA Mini-Howto (
http://www.moisty.org/~brion/linux/Ultra-DMA.html )
--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Books
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:14:51 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:02:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Faheem Mitha)
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:52:03 +0100, Stu
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>    I have installed a Linux distribution at home and started to get used to
>>using it. I need a reference book which will fill in the knowledge gaps and
>>get me up to speed quickly.
>[snipped]>
>
>I have three books which I use regularly. Two of them have already
>been mentioned on this thread. They are:

bytes bit out

>2) Michael Kofler: Linux: Installation, Configuration, Use.
>(1999,Addison-Wesley)
>
>This is probably the book I find myself referring to most
>frequently. It is relatively modern and up to date, and has lots of
>software specific information which I find useful. It is good for
>telling you what is out there. (For example, I first learnt of the
>existence of slrn by reading this book). It is also basically a user's
>manual. Somebody said in this thread that a new edition is coming
>out. If true this is good news. You may want to check when the new edn
>is coming out and wait for it if it is soon.

and a few more

>                                  Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

Indubitably the single best book, in fact I would call it a bible,
for linux if you want solid engineered information.  Like Faheem
Mitha this is the one I turn to all the time and the one that
invariably has the facts right.   An example, no where else will you
read to leave lilo alone until you have worked out how to run the
install comfortably with out the mbr and /or multi boots started.
Excellent tome.

------------------------------

From: "Ralf K. Wiegand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris,comp.sys.sun.admin
Subject: ATi Rage 128 PRO AGP 4x
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:32:18 GMT

I have a new ATI Rage 128 PRO AGP 4x (ALL_IN+WONDER 128 Pro0 card.
I'm running a Linux RedHat 6.1.
Xconfigurator reports:

ATI | RAGE 128 PRO AGP 4x
xserver March64

After going though the configuration procedure, any of the displayed
chipsets do not work.

a startx shows:
PC Fatal server error
no screens found

(--) Mach64: PCI: unknown ATI.......

Shouldn't this say AGP?

I also have a copy of Solaris 8 Intel(dual boot as final configuration),
but didn't try to install because of the above problems.
Any advice would be great.

Please if anybody has a clue, my e-mail address is :
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks YOU
Ralf.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel)
Subject: Re: Can't use "setserial" command to setup modem.
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:01:31 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:30:06 GMT, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>   I have an internal ISA Rockwell modem, I realise it could be a winmodem
>although I have my doubts because I used to use Corel linux and it worked
>fine.
>   I am now running Mandrake 7.0 and cannot manage to setup my modem. If I
>log in and load Kppp and click connect it will initialise, dial very
>slowly and hang up. If I try to reconnect It says "Sorry the modem doesn't
>respond."
>   I also tried to set it up with the "setserial /dev/ttyS2 autoconfig"
>command but I get a message saying "Device or resource busy."
>  I then tried doing it the long way with "setserial" but I did not know
>what value to put for "uart" how do I find this out?
>   How can I get my modem to work? And why does linux think that it is
>busy?

To see how/what is detected at boot run dmesg.  The ports will be
listed with all the info you need.  Then try echo "ATDT/n > /dev/ttySn
with the modem connected to the phone line.  You should hear a dial
tone at the right port.  Distributions differ on how they set up some
things so you will surely need to just chip away with the docs.
Anyway you know it works.  The busy message comes from some programs
not releasing the modem even after ending their run.  Again one has to
just keep at it till the correct modem release procedure is found
and the user maybe be a factor so be root.
Try man killall and then maybe killall pppd after a test run.
Good luck.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:03:33 GMT

wrote:
>I've had some experience with this.
>
>Apps
>----
>
>Netscape doesn't run well on 486 SXs apparently it runs much better on
>DXs. If there SXs, then set up a font server on a fast computer.
>Netscape 4.7 will run on a 486SX33 with 16MB ram if you have all day to
>wait. Try netscape 2.02, but IIRC you have to install a.out

        32M is enough to comfortably run Netscape and friends on a full
        desktop machine with office applications a couple of large source
        tarballs building in the background.

[deletia]

        I would be surprised if 16M isn't really enough to run Netscrape
        by itself...

--
        If you know what you want done, it is quite often more useful to
        tell the machine what you want it to do rather than merely having

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:05:25 GMT

On 18 Jun 2000 09:58:08 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:42:18 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>SECURITY
>>-------
>
>>Prevent anyone displaying on X remotely (man xauth)
>
>No man page or xauth required:
>
>       xhost -
>
>will do.

        Typically, you will need to explicitly enable a host before
        they can access a particular Xserver under Xfree & Linux.
        So that part of the manual should be pretty much superfluous.

From: "Steven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motorola VoiceSurfr 56K under Corel Linux?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:27:55 -0500

I have a Motorola VoiceSurfr 56K Internal modem and I am trying to get it to
initialize under Corel Linux.

I tried setting it under all available ports, but I either get the message
"modem not found" or "sorry modem is busy".

Any tips would be appreciated!

--
Steven

(to reply remove "nospam")

------------------------------

From: Andreas Tretow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:44:49 +0200

"Graham S." wrote:

> i am having some prob's getting how soundblaster PCI128 to work under
> linux (debian 2.2, 2.2.16 kernel)
> i tried re-compiling the kernel with a few diff sound chip supports,
> ES1371 (the best one it has as neer as i can tell)
> however (on the soundblaster website) the card is said to be,  ES3100
> or CT4700 neather of witch ihave.
> (is there some where i can dl thease drivers or what?)
>
>  Can any one help me out here?

> Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger.
> http://im.yahoo.com/
>
> --
> Posted from web115.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.88]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

mine works fine (hmmm, that was rhyme...) on RH6.2 using sndconfig.
there was a ES1370 detected. maybe you have another version of this card
?

Andreas
--
Andreas Tretow

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Problems?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 13:00:46 -0400

Vilmos Soti wrote:

> Once I also had signal 11 errors and it turned out that the computer shop
> didn't configure the motherboard correctly. The CPU got 0.1 V less than it
> was supposed.

Another thing that might cause signal 11 errors (and presumably other
problems as well) is a flakey SIMM. I had one that caused compiles to
crash. Replaced the stick, all was OK.