From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Subject: Re: CPU or Motherboard more likely to crash system?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:44:44 GMT

...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] used the keyboard:

>When checking out the motherboard and cup prices at a local computer
>shop the guys laughed when I told them how often it crahsed "once a
>month?!". I told them that might be very common for windows users but
>I run linux ;)

An interesting story you got there, tells much about the so called
"high availability" of Windows... anyway, since I'm not here to troll,
I'm going to ask you this:

Did the Alt-SysRq sequences work when the computer froze? If you don't
know what I'm talking about, check out

    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

and see if it works. It might be that some process is locking you up
afterall.

    Grega Bremec
    grega.bremec-at-gbsoft.org
    http://www.gbsoft.org/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 29 Sep 2000 00:35:47 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My system crashes about once a month or so and I've narrowed it down
> to either the motherboard or cpu. Does anyone know which of the two
> are more likely to crash the system? I have an AMD 333mhz CPU and a
> rather generic motherboard - but both are pretty new.

Normally, I'd say the motherboard by a big margin.  But I'm not a fan
of AMD's quality controls, so I'd say the CPU is still a possibility.

Nevertheless, the motherboard is still the more likely culprit.

> The system merely freezes for no apparent reason, and when it does
> this the screen sort of dims a bit with a greenish hue accompanying
> it as if losing colors, and Ctrl-alt-del does NOT work to reboot.

You're sure it's not the video card?  Look at the board near the slot
the video card is in to see if you can see scorch marks.  When I had
similar problems, the burn marks were pretty evident upon a close
inspection.

> When checking out the motherboard and cup prices at a local computer
> shop the guys laughed when I told them how often it crahsed "once a
> month?!". I told them that might be very common for windows users but
> I run linux ;)

My computer crashes about once a week now; won't come out of DPMS
power save.  Bad news.  At the moment, I'm hoping it's bad video card
drivers, as the problem shows up in Win2K Advanced Server and not in
Win2K Pro, and the system works fine for another week after a hard
reboot.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "l'bodacious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: asus p3vx4 wont load linux
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:49:44 GMT

What storage system, video adapter, scsi, etc..? Then perhaps an answer!

------------------------------

From: FyreFiend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Imagewriter II on a 486?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:42:02 -0400

Thanks, I'll try a null modem cable.
I know it RS-422 but I was afraid I might blow out my UART or the
printer.
 I I'm pretty sure it 9600bps but I could be wrong. I don't know about
parity and stop bits but that's my next thing to find. If you want I
can post that here or e-mail you when I find it.

Thanks Again,
Fyre

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:39:05 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(B'ichela) wrote:

<SNIP>

------------------------------

From: Ignacio Vidal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: _Help needed_ with COM5 modem
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:18:56 -0300

I've got an USR 56k internal modem (NO winmodem) installed and running
in W98 an Linux (Redhat 6.1 and SuSe 6.0).
The same problem happened an first time (for my PC) under Windows.
Just "force" the installation in a lower COM port (ie 3) under Windows
(dont let W98 make auto-configuration)
It works fine

Ignacio

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Natalia Sarv wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a US Robotics 56k modem which *is* hardware. The problem is that
> > Windoz98 defined that it's set up on COM5 (?) and uses IRQ12. And I've got
> > no way to change it (CMOS setup, hardware settings, ...) My Linux RH6.2 has
> > no more than 4 ports as usually and can't see COM5.
> >
> > How could I get COM5 and make it work properly? Will be grateful much for
> > your help.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Natalia
>
> Its being on COM5 only applies to MS-Windows.  Do you have 4 serial
> ports in
> you system?  Are you using them?
>
> You didn't mention the model number of the modem or whether it was a PCI
> modem.  I will guess that it is PCI.
>
> Currently, the easiest way to use a PCI modem is to down load the new
> serial
> driver from:
>
>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/serial/
>
> Install it and reboot.
>
> If you aren't using COM3 and COM4 disable them.  If you don't have them,
> see
> what happens.  In the unlikely event that you can't do anything about
> this,
> you will need to make "/dev/ttyS4".
>
> If you want to make sure that the OS has found your modem, execute the
> command: cat /proc/pci"
>
> JRT

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,alt.periphs.pcmcia
Subject: Re: tfm560e pcmcia modem is a compatible with linux ???
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:05:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sylvain Barbay  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I plan to acquire a pcmcia tfm560e modem card, which has a cirrus logic
>chipset.

I'm assuming you mean a Trendware TFM-560E.

The old TFM-560E model appears to use the Cirrus Logic MD5651-T chipset
which is okay with Linux.  I have no confirmation on this particular
modem, but it should be fine.

The new TFM-560E "Plus" model is Lucent LT Winmodem.  I'm not sure what's
so "Plus" about that, but there you are.

Good luck,
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Backup drives
Date: 29 Sep 2000 02:20:30 -0400

"John Bald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can anyone recommend a tape backup drive in the $250-$350 range that
> works well under Linux?  I'm currently running Suse 6.3.  Any drives
> to stay away from?

In that price range, you're definitely talking about a QIC-style drive,
like a Travan TR-4 or NS-20 drive.  I prefer DAT, but you won't find a
new drive in the $250-350 range.  (Although you may be able to find a
used DAT or 8mm drive for real cheap at a flea market.)

A SCSI model will definitely be compatible.

I think ATAPI tape drives are supported through the IDE-SCSI module.  If
you plan on using an ATAPI drive, wait for someone who knows more on the
subject to answer you with certainty.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Oldenburg)
Subject: Netgear FA311 with Redhat 7.0
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:31:54 GMT

Has anyone had any luck compiling a driver for or just getting a
Netgear FA311 card to work in Redhat 7.0? If so, exactly how did you
do it? I'm desperate.

Chris Oldenburg

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI/CD-Writer problems
Date: 29 Sep 2000 02:34:39 -0400

Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 2) Does the cable/adapter going from the card to the burner actively
>    terminate the high bit?  This is essential in going from the Wide card
>    to the narrow device.

Actually, it's weirder than that.

If a narrow drive is attached externally to a wide bus, then it must
come after all wide devices, and a terminating-adaptor must come betwen
the last wide device and the first narrow device.

If a narrow drive is attached internally to a wide bus, the opposite is
true.  The wide devices should go at the end of the ribbon cable (to
terminate all wires), and the narrow device should use a non-terminating
adaptor.

The Adaptec 2940 series of cards have a 50-pin header for internal
narrow drives as well, so no adapter is needed.  But this connector can
not be used if the other two (68-pin) connectors are used - to do so
would create a Y-shaped bus, which will make everything fail

If the 50-pin header is used, then the card must terminate the high
wires.  The SCSISelect utility can be used to set this.  (I don't
normally use the auto-detect termination mode - it sometimes guesses
wrong.)

> 3) Did you sacrifice the appropriate goat(s) to your SCSI chain?

Most really weird problems end up being a function of:

- Improper termination.  Note that internal LVD drives do not usually
  come with on-board termination.  You usually have to terminate an LVD
  bus with a standalone terminator, or a cable that has a built-in
  terminator.

- SCSI ID conflicts

- Too many devices.  8-bit SCSI allows 7 drives.  16-bit (wide) SCSI
  allows 15 drives.  The one exception to this is Ultra-Wide SCSI - it
  only supports 7 drives, even though IDs can be in the range of 0-15.

- Cables that are too long.  The limit for a bus (including both
  internal, external, and cabling inside external devices) is:

        6m for slow SCSI (5M/s or less)
        3m for fast and fast-wide SCSI (10M/s)
        3m for Ultra and Ultra-wide if there are 1-3 drives
        1.5m for Ultra and Ultra-wide if there are 4-7 drives
        12m for LVD (including Ultra2 and Ultra160)
        25m for HVD

  If you mix devices of different speeds on a single bus, the length
  limit for the bus will be the the length for the drive with the
  shortest cable limits.

- Non-compliant cables.  SCSI cables have specific capacitance and
  impedance properties.  Some cheap cables don't conform to spec.  If
  Ultra160 is used, a twisted-pair cable is required.  (Twisted pair
  cables also help for other versions of SCSI, but it's only required
  for Ultra160)

For all the ugly details, see http://www.t10.org/

-- David

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SV: modem....
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:55:13 -0500

Marre wrote:

> well....
> it is an external modem.....
>
> Marre

Then you should have no problem with it. I'm using the same with no
problems. To check the modem out, use minicom. check that /dev/modem is
linked to the correct physical device.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert (Rage 128, AGP) - RedHat 7
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:59:27 GMT

Brian wrote:

> I just installed RedHat 7...  Much to my surprise my ATI Xpert (Rage 128,
> AGP) would not work properly.  RedHat detected the card, but when I went to
> test it, it failed every time, under every resolution.  Is this a problem
> with XFree86 4.01, which is used by RedHat 7?  If so, is there any way to
> fix this?  By the way, also RedHat could not start up it's graphical
> installer on my system, so it defulted to the old menu based one...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help!  =)
>
> - Brian -
>
> (P.S. please send copies of responses to my email as well as the newsgroup.
> Thanks.    [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

 http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/r128.html

JRT

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8019(AS)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 02:01:55 -0500

Holy wrote:

> Realtek 8019(AS) chipset LAN card, how to set up it in linux?
> I use Redhat 6.2, but it can't detect it.
> Do I need to set the LAN card in jumperless mode or PnP mode?
> Anyone can kindly help me?
> Thx a lot!
>
> -Holy

If the card is plug-n-pray, use the dos utility disk that came with the
card to turn of the pnp and set the IRQ and IO.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SuSE Linux 6.4 for Power PC
Date: 29 Sep 2000 08:11:43 GMT

--=_alternative 002D02F380256969_=

I have been trying to install SuSE Linux V6.4 on a power pc using an ascii
emulator in yast's ascii mode.  However, I can only get so far through the
installation before I hit big problems.  When I have to choose the code
page to use, it doesn't seem to matter which I choose because all of them
mess me around.  All the character maps seem to map the wrong keys to the
wrong buttons, in fact most buttons usually end up representing the enter
key.  This means that I am unable to continue with the installation
because no matter what key I press it is interpreted as the enter key - a
problem when you need to use the cursors to select items other than the
defaults.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help???
--=_alternative 002D02F380256969_=

power pc using an ascii emulator in yast's ascii mode. &nbsp;However, I can only get
so far through the installation before I hit big problems. &nbsp;When I have to choose
the code page to use, it doesn't seem to matter which I choose because all of them
mess me around. &nbsp;All the character maps seem to map the wrong keys to the wrong
buttons, in fact most buttons usually end up representing the enter key. &nbsp;This
means that I am unable to continue with the installation because no matter what key I
press it is interpreted as the enter key - a problem when you need to use the cursors
to select items other than the defaults. &nbsp;</font><font size=3 face="Times New
Roman"> <br>
Does anyone have any suggestions that might help???</font>

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ati rage PRO compatibility
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:18:05 +0100

Is is the Rage Pro or the Rage 128 Pro? I have the expert2000 which uses the
Rage 128 Pro chipset and Mandrake 7.1 set it up perfectly without asking any
awkward questions. I think it might be using XFree86 4.0 though so if your X
is still 3.whatever it might not work. I'll check on that.

Adam

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:25:50 +0100

Just set up my new PC and it worked flawlessly. No problems with X at all.
Mandrake (7.1) didn't even ask me for any parameters. It might be down to
the version of X it uses but I could be wrong.

Adam

news:b9lA5.140$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange keyboard problem in Enlightenment
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:33:49 +0100

I have an odd problem with my keyboard and the enlightenment window manager.
For some strange reason, on certain programs, notably games, the keyboard
refuses to work (at all). Other programs work fine. This is highly bizarre
and I wondered if anyone had any similar problems.

The system is:

AMD Athlon T-Bird 800
ATI Xpert 2000 32Mb VIVO AGP
128Mb RAM
10 Gb Linux partition (actually I think its about 3 for / and 7 for /home)
No sound, nothing else of any importance (as far as I can see anyway)

The keyboard is an AT keyboard with an ATX adapter attached. It works
perfectly in GNOME, KDE and WindowMaker. I am running Mandrake 7.1 if that
helps.

Adam

------------------------------

Subject: Re: What platforms can linux run?
From: Jim Randell <[EMAIL PROTECTED][8+1].co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:45:23 GMT

Holy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What platforms can linux run? (besides the x86-based platforms such as
> PIII, notebook)

This site has quite a good list:

  <URL:http://perso.wanadoo.es/xose/linux/linux_ports.html>

--