Linux-Hardware Digest #802, Volume #13           Sat, 28 Oct 00 21:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one? (The Old Bear)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU? (Mark Post)
  Re: Root out of space ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Tape streamer for Linux (John-Paul Stewart)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (Joe Schaefer)
  Voodoo4500 and corel linux (jmd)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (Tim Haynes)
  Re: Modem Setup ("Bagpuss")
  Installation impossible HELP.... ("Sebastien")
  Re: Anyone using an LCD screen with Linux RH 7.0? ("Larry Silkaitis")
  RH7 kernel compile errors after fresh install... ("MaxOCP")
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: RH6.2 and Adaptec/DPT 3200 RAID ("Brian McKerr")
  Re: RH7 kernel compile errors after fresh install... (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Sound Card Works with Headphones, Not with Speakers (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Sound Card Works with Headphones, Not with Speakers (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Linux on a pocket pc??? (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Problems installing RH 7 (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Sound Card Works with Headphones, Not with Speakers ("Paul Kuliniewicz")
  Re: Installation impossible HELP.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1 (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: Using IDE CDROM and CDRW drives at the same time (Chris Rankin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Old Bear)
Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:08:22 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela) writes:

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
>Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:23:57 -0400
>
>        The question really comes down to what one REALLY rather deal
>with. Being I am more comfortable with 10base2 and its coax than
>10base-t. I am biased towards that approach myself.

Aha!  You're familiar with working with coax and probably cable TV
coax with F-type connectors.  These are a piece of cake to put on
coax, unlike the BNC connectors used for 10base2.  The BNC has
three or more pieces, needs to have its center pin crimped in a
separate motion that crimping the body, etc.

Get someone to show you how the RJ-45 crimps onto Cat5 and then
try doing a few for practice.  I think you'll find it very easy
and quick to do.

Having worked with both, my opinion is that Cat5 is much more
forgiving, less costly if you screw up a connector, and very
fast to work with.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: 28 Oct 2000 22:01:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by olcnffvat gur
: abezny vavg naq trggl & ybtva cebprffrf naq fgnegvat lbhe cebprffrf
: frcnengryl sebz gura bajneqf, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.

Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere

Peter

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 28 Oct 2000 17:14:13 -0500

"Craig Newstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A couple of lines from /var/log/dmesg ...
> Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
> Processor #12 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
> I/O APIC #13 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
> Processors: 2
> Why does it say Processor #12, and not Processor #1?  Just wondering.

I remember reading about this.  This is a guess based on my foggy
memory, but I think the kernel gets to assign CPU numbers when it
enables the other processors.  (CPU0 is always that, because it's
already on.)  I think Linux doesn't even try to number them in any
particular order, but I don't remember why.  Perhaps to cope with
off-chip APICs?

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:17:17 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 06:45:03 -0500, "Craig Newstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
>Linux itself seems to be running fine - but how do I know if linux is
>seeing/using the 2nd CPU?

cat /proc/cpuinfo

-snip-
>If it doesn't see the 2nd CPU automagically, how do I get linux to register
>and use it?
>Do I need to recompile the kernel for this to work?

If it is not seeing and using more than one CPU, you will have to recompile
your kernel specifying SMP support (Symmetric Multi-Processor).

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Root out of space
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 28 Oct 2000 17:18:17 -0500

"Gerald R. Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> System: RedHat Linux 6.1 / Apache 1.3.14 / MySQL 3.22.32 / PHP 4.0.2
>
> Tried to create a new user this morning but could not (password file
> couldn't be locked).
>
> I then discovered that the / (root) partition is out of space! Root is 150mb
> on this system. I checked logs and found nothing, then noticed that
> /proc/kcore is 134+mb.

/proc is not a real file system.  kcore is the kernel's memory, or
something like that.  It doesn't actually use space on your disk
(nothing in /proc does).

> What can cause this, and how can I correct?

If your / is only 150MB, you should have nothing (except maybe /tmp
and a few others) mounted on it.  Probably you have /home or something
sharing a partition with the root, which is Very Bad.  For now, delete
files to free space.  For later, repartition and make sure no big
directories are on /, or that / is big enough to hold all of them.
You can use `du' to figure out where all your space is going.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape streamer for Linux
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:20:19 GMT

Neil Durant wrote:

> I'm considering buying a tape streamer for backing up my little 2-PC
> network.  Ideally I would like a 10Gb+ tape streamer, perferably IDE
> (although I do have a SCSI interface) and preferably internal.
>
> It must work on Linux, and preferably also NT.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?
>
> Neil
> Neil Durant
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                        Fax: 08700 520159

I use Seagate's TapeStore 20GB model.  It's tapes (Travan
TR-5, NS-20) hold 10GB native, or perhaps 20GB compressed
(if you believe Seagate).  It was cheap (under $450
Canadian, even though it was a special order from my
favourite computer shop) but it's slow.  It comes in IDE and
SCSI versions (I use IDE), and works reliably under Linux.
I don't know about NT but my unit came with software for
various Windows versions.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

HTH,

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
From: Joe Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Oct 2000 18:25:25 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by olcnffvat gur
> : abezny vavg naq trggl & ybtva cebprffrf naq fgnegvat lbhe cebprffrf
> : frcnengryl sebz gura bajneqf, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.

V pbhyq gryy lbh, ohg gura V'q unir gb xvyy lbh...

--
Joe Schaefer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jmd)
Subject: Voodoo4500 and corel linux
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:29:32 GMT

i finally got  a friend to try linux and he's having problems
installing Corel Linux on his intel box with voodoo 4500(?). is this
card not supported yet?

tia
jeff

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 28 Oct 2000 23:35:13 +0100

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by olcnffvat gur
> : abezny vavg naq trggl & ybtva cebprffrf naq fgnegvat lbhe cebprffrf
> : frcnengryl sebz gura bajneqf, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.
>
> Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere

Of course there is. Nothing to it. You just have to ybbx va frpgvba 6 bs
gur znacntrf, that is all ;)

~Tim
--
Gabrielle and Madelene were just dolls.         | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Bagpuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem Setup
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:50:01 +0100

Try everything these guys have been saying but if that still does not work,
try going into your BIOS and looking for a setting similar to "PlugnPlay OS"
or "PNP OS". My modem never worked under Linux until I set that to "No", the
same applied to some Win95 machines at work for some reason :¬|

Hope this helps

--
Bagpuss
Your friendly cloth cat

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Sebastien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installation impossible HELP....
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:12:12 GMT

Hi,
     I've got the Linux-Mandrake installation cds and when I boot from it,
installation starts but stops at the X configuration. Impossible to
configure graphics. I have an Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 32DDR and it's not in
the hardware list. I tried every one of the list and inpossible to go
further X configuration.

What can I do to install Linux-Mandrake if it doesn't support my hardware
and wont install itself completly. Exactly the same thing happened when I
tried to install Corel Linux that's why I changed for Mandrake, that I
thought was better but the same thing.
I  can't find any documentation on this installation problem it seems
everybody takes for granted installations are 100% automatic and successful.
PLEASE HELP ME... Thank you for your time..

One thing I find strange is that DrakX is not capable of installing linux
with at least a standard SVGA driver in those cases.

------------------------------

From: "Larry Silkaitis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone using an LCD screen with Linux RH 7.0?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:05:47 -0400

I use a Viewsonic VPA138 and an on 640x480 LCD.  The viewsonic is great.
The old LCD is OK but only has 256 colors.  To completely see items I have
to run a virtual desktop.  In the list of monitor may LCDs are listed.

--
__________
Larry
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "MaxOCP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: RH7 kernel compile errors after fresh install...
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:44:32 GMT

Hi, I have been trying to get RedHat 7 running on my ABIT KT7-RAID with 2
hard drives on the HPT370 controllers and cdroms on the other 2 ides, but
having been running into trouble... I tried installing the HPT370 kernel
patch, but I got compiler errors when trying to compile the kernel... I
thought it was because of the patch, but I reinstalled everything and just
tried to compile the kernel from a fresh install and got a bunch of errors
once again... I had to install RH7 with the hard drives on the normal ides
of course because the installation can't detect them on the HPT controller.
Anyone know what might be going on here? If I can get the kernel compiled I
think I would be ok... I have the required ide settings to pass to LILO if
only I can get my kernel patched (or upgraded to 2.4..., which also gave me
compile errors)

I tried installing ABIT's Gentus Linux 6.2, and that detects the hard drives
on the HPT controller without a problem, and everything is working fine
until I start X... X runs well except for the fact that my mouse is
completely out of control. RH7 did not seem to have a problem with the mouse
(Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical), and even had the scroll wheel working, but
Gentus 6.2 (as well as RedHat 6.2 that I had previously) seem to choke on
it.  Anyone know what settings differ in RH7 that I can use to get the mouse
working in 6.2?

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:08:41 -0700

And John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>If his experience is any guide, you'll never get it to work.

        LOL!  Thanks for the warning.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: "Brian McKerr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.2 and Adaptec/DPT 3200 RAID
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:18:39 +1000

James,
            I have a AMI Megaraid 434 Raid controller that I use with
Redhat6.2, I had similar problems. I think that your controller is not the
problem (big statement !) I think that the SCSI subsystem in RH6.2 may be
the cause of your unstable system. I managed to get things working more
reliably by turning of Synchronous Negotiation, this halved the drives
speeds but the system stayed up longer. I have also scoured the web and
newsgroups and it seems that *many* people using linux with SCSI are
suffering similar timeouts/reboots etc. All of this on all kinds of
hardware, but mostly on later redhats, maybe because it is the most popular
distro ?

Anyway,
    try the sync negotiation thing and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Brian.

news:m_jK5.115462$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: RH7 kernel compile errors after fresh install...
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:45:23 GMT

MaxOCP wrote:

> Hi, I have been trying to get RedHat 7 running on my ABIT KT7-RAID with 2
> hard drives on the HPT370 controllers and cdroms on the other 2 ides, but
> having been running into trouble... I tried installing the HPT370 kernel
> patch, but I got compiler errors when trying to compile the kernel... I
> thought it was because of the patch, but I reinstalled everything and just
> tried to compile the kernel from a fresh install and got a bunch of errors
> once again... I had to install RH7 with the hard drives on the normal ides
> of course because the installation can't detect them on the HPT controller.
> Anyone know what might be going on here? If I can get the kernel compiled I
> think I would be ok... I have the required ide settings to pass to LILO if
> only I can get my kernel patched (or upgraded to 2.4..., which also gave me
> compile errors)
>
> I tried installing ABIT's Gentus Linux 6.2, and that detects the hard drives
> on the HPT controller without a problem, and everything is working fine
> until I start X... X runs well except for the fact that my mouse is
> completely out of control. RH7 did not seem to have a problem with the mouse
> (Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical), and even had the scroll wheel working, but
> Gentus 6.2 (as well as RedHat 6.2 that I had previously) seem to choke on
> it.  Anyone know what settings differ in RH7 that I can use to get the mouse
> working in 6.2?
>
> Thanks

I would suggest that you use the compiler: "compat-egcs-6.2 to comple the
Kernel.

Do not try to patch the patched Kernel from RH 7.  Download v. 2.2.16 (or what
you need to match your patch) from kernel.org.

I hope this works.

The mouse problem is probably because you have the wrong information in
XF86Config.  Edit by hand if necessary.  You use the same settings in RH7, but
if you are using XFree86 4.0.1 the format is slightly different:

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons"  "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Note the quote marks!

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Card Works with Headphones, Not with Speakers
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:49:04 GMT

Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:

> I've got an SB Live! Value sound card installed in my computer, and appears
> to be functioning properly with the EMU10K1 driver in Linux.  However, it
> doesn't seem to work with my Boston Acoustics BA735 speakers w/ subwoofer.
> I have all the hardware connected properly (it works in Windows), but I
> can't get any sound to work.
>
> The interesting thing is that if I plug a set of headphones into either of
> the audio out ports on the soundcard, sound comes out perfectly fine.  The
> same goes if I borrow someone else's (non-subwoofer) set of speakers --
> normal sound playback.  But if I hook up my BA375, nothing happens.
>
> Does Linux or EMU10K1 have a problem sending data out to a
> more-than-two-speaker sound system?  That's the only difference I can think
> of between speakers that work and speakers that don't work.  Is there
> something special I have to do to get my BA735 to work?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to solve this problem.

Have you used the "Sound Mixer"?  I don't know if that will help, but since
what you discribe appears to be impossible, it must be a software problem.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:49:30 GMT

Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:

> I've got an SB Live! Value sound card installed in my computer, and appears
> to be functioning properly with the EMU10K1 driver in Linux.  However, it
> doesn't seem to work with my Boston Acoustics BA735 speakers w/ subwoofer.
> I have all the hardware connected properly (it works in Windows), but I
> can't get any sound to work.
>
> The interesting thing is that if I plug a set of headphones into either of
> the audio out ports on the soundcard, sound comes out perfectly fine.  The
> same goes if I borrow someone else's (non-subwoofer) set of speakers --
> normal sound playback.  But if I hook up my BA375, nothing happens.
>
> Does Linux or EMU10K1 have a problem sending data out to a
> more-than-two-speaker sound system?  That's the only difference I can think
> of between speakers that work and speakers that don't work.  Is there
> something special I have to do to get my BA735 to work?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to solve this problem.

Have you used the "Sound Mixer"?  I don't know if that will help, but
since
what you describe appears to be impossible, it must be a software
problem.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a pocket pc???
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:53:39 GMT

root wrote:

> Does anyone know if Linux can be put onto a pocket pc? So far, I've only
> seen windows CE and palm pilots os.  I don't want to buy a pocket pc
> with windows ce. Also, I'm looking for a pocket pc with a hard drive not
> just 16 MB of ROM. I know that some digital cameras have a new IBM hard
> drive of almost 1 GB. Why can't they put these on a pocket pc???
> Please help,
>
> Pierre

You have to have a pocket system with the ARM processor.

This is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems installing RH 7
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:58:23 GMT

Ivan wrote:

> Please Help ME !!!!
>
> When I try to install RH 7 i've 2 problems:
>
> 1 - When installing packages the installer doesn't ask me to change CD and
> finish without this one (I've installed all packages to try ......)
>
> 2 - I can't configure the Xserver in the setup 'cause there isn't the button
> for personalize the server .........
>
> I've a VOODOO 3, Athlon 750 Mhz, Motherboard Asus KM and 256 Mb RAM.....
>
> Ivan

If you got far enough to have the system boot to a console (text mode), try
running xf86config.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Paul Kuliniewicz" <@.>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:55:38 -0500

> > The interesting thing is that if I plug a set of headphones into either
of
> > the audio out ports on the soundcard, sound comes out perfectly fine.
The
> > same goes if I borrow someone else's (non-subwoofer) set of speakers --
> > normal sound playback.  But if I hook up my BA375, nothing happens.
> >
> > Does Linux or EMU10K1 have a problem sending data out to a
> > more-than-two-speaker sound system?  That's the only difference I can
think
> > of between speakers that work and speakers that don't work.  Is there
> > something special I have to do to get my BA735 to work?
> >
> > Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to solve this problem.
>
> Have you used the "Sound Mixer"?  I don't know if that will help, but
> since
> what you describe appears to be impossible, it must be a software
> problem.

It's definitely not a mixer problem, as I have everything on and maxed out.
Besides, if I plug in a different set of speakers, sound plays normally.  If
I plug mine in (which have a subwoofer), I get silence.  That's without
touching any of the software.

I know it appears to be impossible, unless the speakers themselves are doing
something goofy.  I'm just calling it as I see it.  I'll try contacting
Boston Acoustics, but chances are I'll get an "it's a software problem" type
of reply.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, though, I'd love to hear them.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Installation impossible HELP....
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 28 Oct 2000 20:01:26 -0500

"Sebastien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>      I've got the Linux-Mandrake installation cds and when I boot from it,
> installation starts but stops at the X configuration. Impossible to
> configure graphics. I have an Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 32DDR and it's not in
> the hardware list. I tried every one of the list and inpossible to go
> further X configuration.

Is there no way to run the X server in regular VGA mode (640x480x16)?

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1
Date: 29 Oct 2000 01:05:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Nicholas Hildreth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Ivan Zimine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Has anybody managed to get 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1 work with xfree 4.0.1?
>>
>   I am also looking for a similar solution. I haven't been able to get my
> Oxygen card to work in any graphics mode except 640x480 from the SVGA
> driver. I am not against re-installing 3.3.6 if this is known to get some
> results. Anyone have any ideas? Oddly enough the mouse pointer is often
> visible when it is trying to activate a graphics mode.

This board is not based on the Permedia 3, and, afaik, is not supported
under XFree (except possibly via the framebuffer).  For such a nice card,
I'd shell out the $$ for Xi Graphics' fully 3D accelerated drivers.  Check
out:
http://www.xigraphics.com/Pages/3D-LGD-List.html

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Chris Rankin <au.zipworld.com@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: Re: Using IDE CDROM and CDRW drives at the same time
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 12:08:26 +1100

Maarten wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing the point here but I use only the ide-scsi and
> access both the normal cd and the cd-rw as scdX. At that point why
> would you want to use the ide-cd anyway ? It works doesn't it ?

I can think of two possibilities:
a) He has a parallel-port ZIP drive. Like the ide-scsi module, the ppa
(or imm) module is a pseudo SCSI host adaptor. I know of at least one
case where the ide-scsi and ppa modules have conflicted. Using the
ide-cd module means that you can at least use the ZIP and the CD-ROM
simultaneously, if not the ZIP and the CD-RW.
b) There is no accounting for sheer bloody-mindedness ... ;-)

Just for interest, can anyone out there use a parallel-port ZIP drive
and a SCSI-emulated IDE CD-RW *at the same time* without problems?

Chris