Linux-Hardware Digest #155, Volume #14           Wed, 10 Jan 01 08:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: cdrecord won't scan bus for cdwriter (Jean-Yves Simon)
  Re: Support for my sound card? (Cubic Meter)
  Re: Please help (Cubic Meter)
  Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question (Mark & Janeane Simpkins)
  Re: SGI 1600SW flat panel display / 3Dlabs VX1-1600SW / Linux / IV-FP (Mark &
Janeane Simpkins)
  Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question (Mark & Janeane Simpkins)
  Re: Lexmark Optra E312L + Linux? ("Shane Baker")
  printtool problems with usb printer ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Lexmark Optra312 and Z52 in Mandrake 7.2?? (fahlis)
  Dell Dimension 8100 and Linux? (fahlis)
  compactflash reader paralell (Stephan Danner)
  Re: Lucent Winmodem in 2.2.16 or later kernel? (Cristian)
  ACCTON EN1207D network card (Tomek W)
  Best Video4Linux card (Mario Lang)
  print to HP Color LaserJet 5 ?? ("B.Y.")
  Re: HP 1537A problems with SuSE 6.4
  Re: kernel question (Steve Gage)
  Help - Serial v USB modem? ("Tom")
  no sound w/ Cirrus Logic CS 4614 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitioning For Install ("Mike Gratis")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jean-Yves Simon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrecord won't scan bus for cdwriter
Date: 10 Jan 2001 05:25:57 GMT

In article <93am5d$r3h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Unruh wrote:
: In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Parminder Lehal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: ]HP7200e is external
: ]CD burner which uses linux sg driver for scsi emulation. I use following
: ]modules for this
: ]bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod parport
: ]Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/parport.o
: ]bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod paride

: I think in that case you need to use the ide-scsi interface as well to
: handle the parallel port device. cdrecord talks ONLY to scsi devices.
: Thus you must get your cdrom to be a scsi device.

What do you need to do when your burner is connected thru a pcmcia
card. I have compiled the pcmcia package (works perfectly for
my network card) but my burner (archos 4424) is not recognized.
I am getting a low/high beep at boot up and no irq is taken.

   Jean-Yves SIMON       Tokyo, Japan

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for my sound card?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:50:19 -0500

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Robert M. Taylor wrote:
>
> > Try the OSS sound server. It comes with SuSE Personal as part of the
> > kit. Alsa may recognize it, but if not...
>
> I downloaded and installed the non-free trial version, and it sort of
> works, but everything sounds half speed.  I contacted OSS support, and
> they
> said to send them a log file.  I'm awaiting their answer.  A lot of folks
> might balk at paying for software, but 15 bucks and no trip to the
> computer store (for a known-to-work soundcard) seems like a pretty good
> deal to me.
>
> Matt O.
>
> > Matt O'Toole wrote:
> > >
> > > I just bought a Compaq which came with this sound card, and I can't
> > > get it working with Mandrake 7.2:
> > >
> > >         Vendor: ESS Technology
> > >
> > >         Model: ES1988 Allegro-1
> > >
> > >         Kernel Module: unknown
> > >
> > >         Bus Type: PCI
> > >
> > > I believe it's an onboard deal because I can't assume it would be
> > > anything else in a machine like this, though I haven't even opened the
> > > case yet to
> > > look.  It's not in the list given by HardDrake or whatever.  Any
> > > ideas?
> > >
> > > Matt O.

You should install SNDCONFIG from the Mandrake CDs. I have an ESS 1688 and
it wasn't recognized by my box. I installed all the ALSA drivers and all
that, and still nothing. Then I installed SNDCONFIG, ran it in a shell, and
told it all it wanted to know, then blam-o! I had sound. It will ask you
for IRQ, DMA and address settings so  be prepared.

Cubic Meter

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:03:27 -0500

Tim Dale wrote:

> I finally did it....I installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 last night. After
> many years of not liking microshaft winblows I am making a change. I
> am so lost but it's a wonderfull feeling to be learning something
> new...and now I need your help. I can't get linux to use my modem. I
> have a U.S. Robotics Gaming Modem I'm almost positive it's not a
> winmodem. also my sound system isn't working properly. Lastly can you
> recomend any books I shoud read in order to become proficient with
> linux. Thanks in advance.
>
> Tim Dale

Welcome brother! I just started using Linux Mandrake about a week ago, so
we are in the same boat. I have learned alot in this last week. Redhat
comes with a utility called SNDCONFIG that should make it easy to set up
your sound card. You have to tell it the IRQ, DMA and Address settings, but
it is a whole lot easier than installing the ALSA drivers from a command
line.

As for the modem, set your internet connection up so that it is using the
com port you modem is set to. TTY0 is com1, TTY1 is com2, TTY2 is com3, and
so on. In my case, my machine still doesn't register the modem in the
system configuration, but it works just fine. And as for books, my Mandrake
CDs include 4 books: Linux Hardware Manual, Teach Yourself Linux in 24
hours, Teach Yourself Linux Mandrake in 24 hours and one other I can't
recall right now. Check your CDs, you may have them, or something similar.
Mine are under a directory on the CD called Ebooks.

If you don't have them, go to www.linuxnewbie.org , it has alot of stuff
for the Linux newbie.

Good Luck,

Cubic Meter

------------------------------

From: Mark & Janeane Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:22:15 -0800

>From my experience, Linuxmandrake incorporates most useful new things
quickly.

------------------------------

From: Mark & Janeane Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SGI 1600SW flat panel display / 3Dlabs VX1-1600SW / Linux / IV-FP
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:27:35 -0800

Also look for an SGI presence on eBay for this FP!

------------------------------

From: Mark & Janeane Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:30:36 -0800

I am not that guruish, but LM claims 99.9% conpatible with RH. LM is more
streamlined with a lot of extra touches and features installed than stock RH,
IMHO.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Shane Baker" <sbakerATpcug.org.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:31:50 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: Lexmark Optra E312L + Linux?

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:43:53 -0500, Edgar F. Hilton wrote:

>Anybody get the Lexmark Optra e312L to work with Linux?    The E312
>should work, but I am not too sure about the E312L since it is probably
>a WinPrinter.

Nope - not a winprinter.  I *THINK* the difference is postscript only.

Apart from that, same engine, etc.

Shane Baker
Canberra - Australia's national capital
_____________________________
sbakerATpcug.org.au - please correct the obvious from my email address if replying
direct
Australian Pets newsgroup - aus.pets  <<>>  Australian Dogs Page -
http://www.pcug.org.au/~sbaker/dogs.htm

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: printtool problems with usb printer
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:30:35 GMT

I'm trying to set up a usb printer on RH7. Trouble is, Auto-detection
doesn't find any devices:

/dev/lp0 : Not detected
/dev/lp1 : Not detected
/dev/lp2 : Not detected
/dev/dev/lp0 : Not detected
/dev/dev/lp1 : Not detected
/dev/dev/lp2 : Not detected

Furthermore no usb device is showing up. Any ideas on what is going on
here? How do you check to see if the USB printer module has been
inserted and is working?

Kirk

Kirk R. Wythers                         University of Minnesota
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Department of Forest Resources
tel: 612.625.2261                       1530 Cleveland Ave. N.
fax: 612.625.5212                       Saint Paul, MN 55108

From: fahlis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark Optra312 and Z52 in Mandrake 7.2??
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:43:11 +0100

Hi,

I will soon get 2 new printers,the ones mentioned in the subjectline.
I see that Lexmark has Linux drivers for them both,I was wondering if
anybody have tried those drivers?Any problems.
Are there better drivers available,which drivers do you recommend?

thanks/fahlis

------------------------------

From: fahlis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell Dimension 8100 and Linux?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:46:02 +0100

Hi,

I will soon buy a new computer,the one listed in the subject line.
I wan´t to run Mandrake 7.2 with it,anyone who´s tried it?
Is it working flawless?
Any drivers avilable for the Geforce 2 GTS graphicscard?
Also I will get a HP4300 scanner,any way to get it working in Mandrake
7.2?

thanks/fahlis

------------------------------

From: Stephan Danner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compactflash reader paralell
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:10:53 +0100

Hi
I have a datafab compact flash card reader for paralell port.
How can i integrate this in linux?
I have tryed the ppa and imm driver, but without satisfaction.
Under win and dos it is a driver from shuttle technologies who simulate
scsi (aspihdrm.sys and epathd.sys)

Thank you for yor help
Stephan

------------------------------

From: Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lucent Winmodem in 2.2.16 or later kernel?
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.dev.kernel,linux.sources.kernel,muc.lists.linux-kernel
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:09:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Brett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone had success using the linux winmodem drivers with kernel
> 2.2.16 or later? I can dial my isp but my system locks up shortly after
> "Connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttys14" in the log. Works fine with kernel
> 2.2.14 otherwise.

> Brett

This worked for me in kernel 2.2.17.
In the file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/tty.h look for

struct tty_struct{
        struct wait_queue *write_wait;
        struct wait_queue *read_wait;
        struct wait_queue *poll_wait;
};

and move ONLY the poll line to the end of the block, so that it looks

struct tty_struct{
        struct wait_queue *write_wait;
        struct wait_queue *read_wait;
        struct wait_queue *poll_wait;
};

and then recompile the kernel. Good luck.

C.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:00:22 +0100
From: Tomek W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ACCTON EN1207D network card

I have a problem with a ACCTON EN1207D network card because I have burn
bootrom for linux and now I don't know type EPROM which working with
this
card. Please help me.

Tomek

------------------------------

Subject: Best Video4Linux card
From: Mario Lang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:12:49 GMT

Hi.

Which is the best supported V4L card under 2.4 which supprots:
FM tuner, Videotext and is compatible with SBLive! and
can give me dolby on the Desktop Theatre through SBLive!

--
CYa,
   Mario <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"It is easier to port a shell than a shell script."
             -- Larry Wall

------------------------------

From: "B.Y." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: print to HP Color LaserJet 5 ??
Date: 10 Jan 2001 11:58:49 GMT

Hello all:

        Can someone recommend a way to print from a Red Hat Linux 6.2
box (mostly stock install) to a HP Color LaserJet 5 (no Postscript, no
network card).  Thanks ...

        P.S. I seem to be unable to access the relevant pages in the
             Linux Printing Project hosted by VA Linux ...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 1537A problems with SuSE 6.4
Date: 10 Jan 2001 21:37:41 +0900

    Christoph> I have a SureStore Dat24i in my Server. It should be a
    Christoph> DDS3 Tape, but it works only properly with DDS2
    Christoph> tapes. If I type the command 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'
    Christoph> the density code 0x25 is unknown, but with 'mtst -f
    Christoph> /dev/nst0' it is correct (DDS-3). With a DDS3 tape and
    Christoph> teh command: 'mtst -f /dev/nst0 erase' I get an
    Christoph> I/O-Error: '/dev/nst0: I/O-error. It's all the same if
    Christoph> I use st0 and my controller works properly and
    Christoph> rcognizes the tape correct. With an DDS-2 tape it all
    Christoph> works correct.  Any ideas ?

hmmm, i have somewhat similar difficulties with a compaq sdt9000,
which as the name suggests, is really a sony.  0x25 doesn't show up as
a known density here either.  (though i wonder how much of a problem
this really is.  i've written past 4 gb on a tape, and on my other
tape drive, an sgi/seagate, 0x80 (audio tapes) doesn't show up
either, but that doesn't stop me from reading and writing audio
tapes.)  anyway, the thing that really bugs me is that 'mt -f
/dev/nst0 tell' returns "i/o error" with the compaq/sony.

ciao,

g.m.

--
Your CHEEKS sit like twin NECTARINES above a MOUTH that knows no BOUNDS --

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel question
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:24:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I upgraded my RH7.0 kernel to 2.4.0 I am able to boot my system with
> new kernel. I followed following procedure:
>
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz.new
>
> and copy the new image to /etc/lilo.conf

You also want to copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to
/boot/System.map-2.4.0.

> My problem is that it's not able to load some of the modules. What is
> the procudure for loading the modules during kernel compilation or
> after that?

Make sure you have the latest modutils - in kernel 2.4, the structure of
the modules directory has been reorganized, and the older modutils can't
make sense of it.

- Steve

------------------------------

From: "Tom" <t.alexander@$NOSPAM$virgin.net>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Help - Serial v USB modem?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:28:52 -0000

I am a newbie to Linux and currently have a winmodem. I really want to ditch
Windows completely and wondered if USB modems are supported under the new
2.4.0 kernal? Or should I stick to serial ext modems? Any advantages to
either?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: be.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,z-netz.alt.linux
Subject: no sound w/ Cirrus Logic CS 4614
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:36:20 +0100

==============8E13C55410AECD4FCE3D7074

I'm a home user (SuSE 7.0) and I do not know very much about Linux. I
hope you can help
me, please.
Getting my soundcard startet is the problem I have. ALSA has found the
soundcard: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 (Driver: snd-card-cs461x) which is
quite
right. ALSA modified /etc/modules.conf and said 'OK, 1 card(s) is
configured'.
After that 'ALSA CONFUGRATOR' told me this:

ALSA driver is already running.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 80%
The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

What can I do?

lspci -tv:
bash-2.04# lspci -tv
-[00]-+-00.0  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C691 [Apollo PRO]
      +-01.0-[01]----00.0  ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X
      +-07.0  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C596 ISA [Apollo PRO]
      +-07.1  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]
      +-07.2  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB
      +-07.3  VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3050
      +-09.0  Zoran Corporation ZR36057PQC Video cutting chipset
      +-0b.0  Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio
Accelerator]
      \-0c.0  Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX

Here is my ALSACONF from modules.conf:
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.5.8 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs461x
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=17 snd_device_uid=0
post-install snd  alsactl restore
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

lsmod:
bash-2.04# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd-card-cs461x         2008   1  (initializing)
snd-cs461x             66892   0  [snd-card-cs461x]
snd-pcm                28824   0  [snd-cs461x]
snd-timer               8064   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi             9112   0  [snd-cs461x]
snd-seq-device          3392   0  [snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec         23936   0  [snd-cs461x]
snd-mixer              22704   0  [snd-ac97-codec]
snd                    34924   1  [snd-card-cs461x snd-cs461x snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]
soundcore               2564   0  [snd]
tulip                  30744   1  (autoclean)
memstat                 1476   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               21604   0  (unused)
serial                 42484   0  (autoclean)
usbcore                42760   0  [usb-uhci]

Can you help me?

Thank you.

Philipp Schmitt ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

==============8E13C55410AECD4FCE3D7074

I hope you can help</tt>
the</tt>
which is quite</tt>
is configured'.</tt>
80%</tt>
Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X</tt>
VT82C596 ISA [Apollo PRO]</tt>
VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]</tt>
VT82C586B USB</tt>
Unknown device 3050</tt>
Video cutting chipset</tt>
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator]</tt>
snd_device_gid=17 snd_device_uid=0</tt>
Size&nbsp; Used by</tt>
2008&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&nbsp; (initializing)</tt>
66892&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-card-cs461x]</tt>
28824&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-cs461x]</tt>
8064&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-pcm]</tt>
9112&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-cs461x]</tt>
3392&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-rawmidi]</tt>
23936&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-cs461x]</tt>
22704&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd-ac97-codec]</tt>
34924&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&nbsp; [snd-card-cs461x snd-cs461x snd-pcm snd-timer</tt>
2564&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; [snd]</tt>
30744&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&nbsp; (autoclean)</tt>
1476&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; (unused)</tt>
21604&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; (unused)</tt>
42484&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nbsp; (autoclean)</tt>

From: "Mike Gratis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Partitioning For Install
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:40:14 -0500

    Well, I've gotten a lot of input regarding my previous question; but by
the results I take it there's no definitive answers.  Generally, here's what
was suggested for installing (Caldera) Linux on my 46 GB HD:

/(root)        500MB-10GB
Swap            128MB-1GB
/boot           10MB-25MB
/opt             2-3GB
/home        2GB-As Big As You Can Make It
/temp         6GB
/usr             Big
/var             ?

    Now another question comes to mind:  When I install programs, are they
going to "know" where these directories/partitions are, or am I gonna have
to "show" them?  The same question holds true for uninstalling programs.
Where are the majority of programs going to install?  Oh yeah, and I take it
that a program only needs to be installed once, and not for each individual
user?  From what I've been reading, this point is somewhat unclear to me....
Thanks in advance for any input.

--
Mike Gratis