From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Via on-board sound success!
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:38:14 +0000

I originally posted this in the alt.os.linux.mandrake forum, but apparently
some people can't access it there. So I'm posting it here too for those
unlucky souls!

At long last, and after no end of faffing about, I've finally got the
onboard VIA sound chip (686a) working on my system! None of the "official"
recommended methods worked properly (if at all!) and what follows is the
result of much trial and error - mostly error! Your mileage may vary, as
much of this seems to be very system dependant. Even if it doesn't work
straight off for you, it MIGHT point you in the right direction!

The bits that work or don't work seem to be EXTREMELY system dependant, so
here is a brief summary of my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7ZM (Via KT-133 chipset) with a 700MHz Duron
processor.

BIOS setup: AC97 support ENABLED
            MC97 (modem) DISABLED (might not be important - don't know!)
            Legacy audio ENABLED (without this no MPU-401 or joystick.)
            Soundblaster DISABLED (this is only used by real DOS)

OS: Linux-Mandrake 7.2
Kernel: 2.4.0 test 12
      & 2.4.0 prerelease.

DevFS ENABLED.

Desktop: KDE 2.1 beta

First of all, you are wasting your time trying to get the kernel modules to
work with the VIA 686a. Yes, I know they are there in the kernel
configuration but they don't appear to work at all. Even if you are lucky
enough to get them working, apparently they only support 8 bit audio.
Forget them!

The kernel should be compiled with sound support ON (to produce the
soundcore module), but no driver modules selected

Get the latest ALSA sound drivers. At the time of writing (Jan 2001) these
are 0.5.10. 0.5.9d may also work, but 10 has bug fixes for the AC97.

Unpack the TAR files into a spare directory (I use /usr/local/src/).

You should end up with three new directories, alsa-driver-0.5.10,
alsa-lib-0.5.10 and alsa-utils-0.5.10.

Enter the alsa driver directory, and do ./configure , make , make install.
NOTE: My compiler kept crashing during the make trying to make something
that had no relevance to the VIA chip. If you do ./configure
--with-cards=via686a it will ONLY build modules relevant to the via
chipset. This saves time and space! It also reduces the chance of a
spurious compiler crash!

Next, go to the alsa lib directory and ./configure , make , make install .
You shouldn't need any options here.

Now do the same again in the alsa utils directory ( ./configure , make and
make install ). The utils aren't strictly necessary, but may be useful for
bug-hunting.

Now all the modules should be in place. If you reboot your system, you will
find some extra options under the "Startup Services" (traffic lights
symbol) in Drakconf. These are Alsasound and sound (sound may have been
there originally) MAKE SURE BOTH THESE ARE SWITCHED OFF! It seems that the
LM 7.2 startup calls the modules in the wrong sequence - as a result they
don't work. You MUST install them the hard way!

Actually, it isn't that hard! Go to /etc/modules (NOT /etc/modules.conf!)
and add the following lines:

snd-card-via686a
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss

During boot-up, LM reads the contents of /etc/modules and installs the
requested modules. NOTE: This appears to be broken in 7.1 (at least, I
never got it to work!) 7.1 users will probably have to add these lines to
etc/rc.d/rc.local

/sbin/modprobe snd-card-via686a
/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
/sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss

NOTE AGAIN: I haven't tried this - its just a guess!

Now edit /etc/modules.conf, adding the following lines:

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a

# OSS-free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

The alsa literature implies that you have to add an awful lot of other
stuff, but the latest releases seem to take care of all that for you
automatically.

Finally, if you're running DevFS, you need to add a couple of lines to
devfs.conf:

REGISTER        sound/.*        PERMISSIONS     root.audio 660
REGISTER        snd/.*          PERMISSIONS     root.audio 660

(If you're not running devfs, you probably need to do a ./snddevices from
inside the alsa-driver directory. Again, I haven't tried this, as I run
DevFS).

The literature tells you to add a line:

LOOKUP snd EXECUTE /sbin/modprobe snd

before the above two lines. When I tried this, my system crashed horribly
with dire warnings about corruption of the root filing system! In fact
there was nothing at all wrong with the filing system - devfs.conf already
had a line:

LOOKUP          .*              MODLOAD

which appears to already do everything required. Adding the extra line
confused it! So just add the two REGISTER lines after the LOOKUP line that
already exists.

Kmix, KDE's built in mixer is alsa aware, so all that is necessary to
unmute the channels is to slide the PCM and volume sliders up (remember to
save the new settings as default!). Because of all the pratting around I'd
done, kmix seemed to have two mixers attached to it, one of which didn't
work! The only way I found to tidy things up was to go into the
$HOME/.kde/share/config/ and delete all the kmix configuration files
(kmixctrlrc and kmixrc). These were then rewritten correctly after a reboot
(probably just logging out and in again would have been sufficient).

I now had sound working, but it was stammering and stuttering terribly. It
sounded like an interrupt problem, except that I have plenty of spare
interrupts and no error messages! Its taken me a week to find this last
problem and it turned out to be the aRts sound server! Disabling this has
cleared the last problem and I can now play both wave and midi files with
superb quality.

To disable aRts:

Open up KDE's Control Centre. Select Sound, then Sound Server. In the top
left hand corner is a check box to "Start aRts soundserver on kde startup".
Uncheck this box. It won't have any effect till you log out and back in
again. But then you should have working sound!

All this was done as root, by the way. To enable sound for users, they MUST
be members of the "audio" group.

There is probably something I've missed out along the way there, but I
think I've covered all the major points.

It does sound very good when you finally get it working!

Good Luck!

Pete

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson 1640SU under linux: notes (long 8.5K)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:02:07 +0000

==============12E22EC38745E2A470AE997E

Attached are some rather raw notes on getting this scanner working under
linux. It may save you time.

--
A E Lawrence
==============12E22EC38745E2A470AE997E

Epson 1640SU scanner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a flatbed scanner with options for a transparency adapter (TPU) and a
document feeder. The 1640SU Photo is just the standard scanner bundled with
the TPU. The 1640SU Office bundles the document feeder.

I had a few problems getting the 1640SU working under linux, so I am posting
this to help others.

The 1640SU has both SCSI and USB interfaces, and comes supplied with a USB
cable. I only deal with the USB option here.

You need a kernel which has USB support. These notes refer to 2.2.18.

Compile a kernel with usb and scanner modules: if you don't know how to do
that, you will need to read the Kernel-HOWTO and the README file in the
kernel sources. You will need to select the right module for your USB host
which is usually integrated into recent motherboards. Read the documentation
in the kernel sources: linux/Documentation/usb/, especially ohci.txt,
uhci.txt, usb-help.txt and scanner.txt.

Examine linux/drivers/usb/scanner.h and insert the 1640SU entry if it is
not already there:-

        /* Seiko/Epson Corp. */
                { 0x04b8, 0x0101 },     /* Perfection 636U and 636Photo */
                { 0x04b8, 0x0103 },     /* Perfection 610 */
                { 0x04b8, 0x0104 },     /* Perfection 1200U and 1200Photo */
                { 0x04b8, 0x010a },     /* Perfection 1640SU and 1640SUPhoto */

Alternatively, you can pass these values as module parameters by a line in
/etc/modules.conf:-

options scanner product=0x10a vendor=0x4b8

Look for RD_NAK_TIMEOUT and make sure that it is at least 20. I use 40:-

#define RD_NAK_TIMEOUT (40*HZ)  /* Number of X seconds to wait */

When you configure the kernel, perhaps using "make xconfig", select
CONFIG_USB=m            -- compile USB as a module
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y      -- probably a good idea until everything is workng
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y        -- you will only want to turn the scanner on
                        -- occasionally, if only to save the lamp life

CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m       -- if this is what your mbrd needs
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y        -- useful for checking.

After the compilation of the kernel, you will need to install it and reboot,
but don't forget to run lilo if that is what you use for booting. And make
sure that you have at least one known working alternative kernel in case of
problems.

That said, in some cases, you might be able to get away with only compiling
and installing the modules: don't forget "depmod" in that case.

You expect to see something like

$ls -l /lib/modules/2.2.18/usb
total 104
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root         7452 Jan  9 23:30 scanner.o
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root        24536 Jan  9 23:30 usb-uhci.o
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root        71587 Jan  9 23:30 usbcore.o

The corresponding entries in /etc/modules.conf will be something along
these lines:-

alias char-major-180 usb-uhci
pre-install usb-uhci modprobe scanner

Once you have a kernel with usb modules, you ought to be able to see
your scanner.

Make sure that you have connected the scanner to the computer with the USB
cable, and turn on the scanner.

As root, insert the scanner module:-

        modprobe scanner

To confirm that all is well, type
        lsmod
and you should see something like

  usb-uhci               18752   0  (autoclean) (unused)
  scanner                 4672   0
  usbcore                47120   0  (autoclean) [usb-uhci scanner]

among the entries.

Next mount the usbdevfs:

        mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb/

Now you should be able to see your hardware:
        ls -l /proc/bus/usb
This should show something like:-
dr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan 11 21:46 001
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 11 21:46 devices
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 11 21:46 drivers

less /proc/bus/usb/devices will show various items including something like
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=010a Rev= 1.04
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=Perfection1640
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbscanner

and less /proc/bus/usb/drivers :-
 48- 63: usbscanner
         hub
         usbdevfs

Look also in your kernel log, probably /var/log/messages, for messages like:-

Jan 11 21:46:20 anon kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
Jan 11 21:46:20 anon kernel: Manufacturer: EPSON
Jan 11 21:46:20 anon kernel: Product: Perfection1640

All of this has been diagnostic to make sure that the USB communications with
the 1640SU scanner is working. You do not need to do any of this to use the
scanner normally.

To use the scanner, you almost certainly need the sane packages: at least
sane-backends-1.0.4 and sane-frontends-1.0.4. Go to
http://www.mostang.com/sane/ and follow the various links.
Here I assume that you will compile and install these packages locally.
And it is a good idea to collect the latest sane-epson component from
http://freecolormanagement.com/sane/ and read the notes there.

You probably want to comment everything out of /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf
except "epson", and the only active entry in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
should be
        usb /dev/usb/scanner0
if your scanner is on USB port 0. But you might want to add some options later.

Once you have the sane programs compiled, you will want to use at least one
of  xscanimage, scanimage and xsane.

*WARNING* (x)scanimage 1.0.4 does not support 14/(42) colour scanning yet!

This is mentioned in the TODO file, but if you try and use it, it silently
fails: the image data is correct, but it is written as if it there are
8 bits/colour so viewing programs are confused.

*WARNING* Many viewing programs (display, gimp, gqview) do not handle
42 bit colour image data correctly, at least in some versions.

Apart from the problem with 14bits/colour in the current scanimage,
it is a useful program for checking that things are working.

Under normal circumstances (usbdevfs not mounted), the usb modules are not
loaded. Invoking xsane, xscanimage or scanimage causes the modules to be loaded
(via the entry in /etc/modules.conf).

Typing
        scanimage -d epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 -h
will fail the first time, but will cause the scanner to be interrogated.
Repeating the command will give something like:-

[...snip ...]

Options specific to device `epson:/dev/usb/scanner0':
  Scan Mode:
    --mode Binary|Gray|Color [Binary]
        Selects the scan mode (e.g., lineart,monochrome, or color).
    --depth 8|14 [inactive]
        Number of bits per sample, typical values are 1 for "line-art" and 8
        for multibit scans.
    --halftoning None|Halftone A (Hard Tone)|Halftone B (Soft Tone)|Halftone C (Net
Screen)|Dither A (4x4 Bayer)|Dither B (4x4 Spiral)|Dither C (4x4 Net Screen)|Dither D
(8x4 Net Screen)|Text Enhanced Technology|Download pattern A|Download pattern B
[Halftone A (Hard Tone)]
[..snip..]
  Optional equipment:
    --source Flatbed|Transparency Unit [Flatbed]
        Selects the scan source (such as a document-feeder).
    --auto-eject[=(yes|no)] [inactive]
        Eject document after scanning
    --film-type Positive Film|Negative Film [inactive]

    --focus-position Focus on glass|Focus 2.5mm above glass [Focus on glass]
        Sets the focus position to either the glass or 2.5mm above the glass
    --bay  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [inactive]
        select bay to scan
    --eject [inactive]
        Eject the sheet in the ADF
[..snip..]

If all is well, you should now be able to scan using, say, xsane. However,
xsane will say "No devices available" if the scanner is switched off.

Once xsane has started, please look in the "View" menu. I, for one, did not
realize that the "Show Standard Options" was an extra window over and above
the main window. That extra window includes things like the bit depth button
for colour scanning. You will probably want to turn on the "Advanced
Options" window as well.

Click on the preview button and you should find that your scanner
bursts into life: the lamp will be on already. But especially when
the TPU is installed, there is a long delay while the lamp stabilizes.
That long delay is why you needed to patch scanner.h much earlier. The lamp
is then turned off for a moment, then back on, and the scan starts.

You should now be able to do full scans. If you have got this far without
serious hurdles, then that is the purpose of these notes.

A E Lawrence

==============12E22EC38745E2A470AE997E==

------------------------------

From: Franz Simlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:03:58 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Franz Simlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > bjrosen wrote:
> >>
> >> I've just built a 2.4 kernel, it recognizes my 3Com card but not my
> >> DLink 530TX ethernet card. When ran the configurator the 3Com's card's
> >> driver was obvious, but the Dlink's driver isn't. What chip does the
> >> Dlink use?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Josh
> >>
> >> Sent via Deja.com
> >> http://www.deja.com/
>
> > do:
> >       cat /proc/pci
> > Find the Ethernet controller.
> > It should give you more info on which driver is apropriate.
> > If this does not produce enough information, see
> > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/*.
> > There is lot's of info ...
> > I use a DLink DE-530?? which has a DEC DC21041 chip. The tulip
> > driver works for this card as well as the de4X5 driver.
>
>     The 530TX uses the Via-Rhine chip. It sounds like you have the newer 530+.
>
>     Nick
>
> --
> -----------------------------
> Florida? Is that near the
> Bermuda triangle?
> -----------------------------

actually the box reads 'DE-530CT+', so its probably a different
thing.
Anyway, cat /proc/pci should make things more clear.

Franz Simlinger

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help !!! Drivers for USR winmodem (56.6k) and Creative Sound Blaster
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:14:35 +0000

Micha wrote:

> Hi all
> Help !!!!!!
> I'm a new comer in Linux (Actually, I've installed it today) and i'm
> searching drivers for
> 1. My modem. It's a USR winmodem (56.6K).
> 2. My Sound Blaster. Creative AWE64 Value.
>
> I hope that someone can help me.
>
> 10x
>   Micha

AWE64 Value is supported under standard kernels. You need to load the
right modules.
You will want something like the following in your /etc/modules.conf:-

alias sound-service-0-0 sb  # mixer
alias sound-service-0-1 sb  # sequencer
alias sound-service-0-3 sb  # dsp
alias sound-service-0-4 sb  # audio
alias sound-service-0-5 sb  # 16 bit dsp
alias sound-service-0-6 sb  # sndstat
alias midi awe_wave
alias synth0 awe_wave
options sb io=0x240 irq=10 dma=1 dma16=7 mpu_io=0x300
#values above match those set in /etc/isapnp.conf
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
#options awe_wave io=0x620
post-install sb /bin/aumix-minimal -v 45 -b 50 -t 50 -s 65 -p 50 -w 65
-l 0 -m 0 -c 55

The particular irqs, ports and so on are set up by pnp (you have an isa
version?)
and you need something like /etc/isapnp.conf :-
# AWE64 game port at 0x200-207 so set READPORT below to avoid this

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x020b)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier c8 10 b9 1a af e4 00 8c 0e)
# CTL00e4 Serial No 280566447 [checksum c8]
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE64  PnP<--
# Vendor defined tag:  73 02 45 20
#
# Logical device id CTL0045
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/280566447 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
(INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))

#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))

#       Next DMA channel 5, 6 or 7.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 7))

#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
:
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0280
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# --- avoid ne2000 ----
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0240))

#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 48 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# -- might need to change if 2nd TP link card used

(IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))

#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
))

#-------------------------------------------------------------------

# Logical device id CTL7002
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/280566447 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
#     ANSI string -->Game<--
# --- Not in use just now, but no harm to activate ? ---
# Default clashes with pnp default readport, so care
# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0200
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
             Number of IO addresses required: 8
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Logical device id CTL0022
#

(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/280566447 (LD 2
#     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0620
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))
 --- NB. the npn dump only showed IO 0 above, not IO 1 and IO2 ---
#     Vendor defined tag:  75 01 69 46 35 55
(ACT Y)
))
(WAITFORKEY)

man pnpdump

Visit http://mitglied.tripod.de/iwai/awedrv.html

A bit brief, and a bit overwhelming for a newcomer:-) It is not as
frightening as it looks. There are some hand holding tools to hide some
of this out there, but you wouldn't want that would you? :-)  After all,
you are probably trying to ecape from Micro$oft_in_the_head?

Oh, WinModems used to be a problem. Some of them can now be handled, but
over to others for that...

ael
--
A E Lawrence

------------------------------

From: "JJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Strange alpha clock issue
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:21:50 -0500

after you set the date, did you write it back to cmos

hwclock -systohw

JJ

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Andre)
Subject: Re: CISCO 675 Modem
Date: 11 Jan 2001 23:01:44 GMT

CS Reddy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a CISCO 675 ADSL External Modem connected to my RJ-45 type NIC. I
: have dual boot system (NT4.0 and RH Linux 7.0). I am using DSL services with
: this modem with NT and it works fine. However, RH Linux is not detecting
: this device. The vendor says it is compatible with Linux. Can some one point
: me in the right direction?  Thanks....

Did you set the Linux system to use DHCP?  If not, try that.

Jeff Andre

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware advice needed
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:27:16 +0000

Richard Kimber wrote:

> I am buying a new system. The possibilities seem to have narrowed down to:
> 1) PIII 933 with 256MB P133 SDRAM and 815E chipset
> and
> 2) PIII 933 with 256MB P600 RDRAM and 820 chipset
>
> The latter has thermal monitoring, which sounds nice.
>
> I should really appreciate any comments as to which might be the one to go
> for, other things being equal.

Without wanting to start a flame war, I think that you would be well
advised to consider an Athlon: you will get much better value for money,
and probably substantially better performance. The new DDR ram mbrds are
just about here, and that is likely to be the best value for money and
performance in the immediate future.

Without knowing more about your needs it is very hard to know what else
to say.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: faulty travan tape
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:32:23 +0000

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a tape device that used to work (and now it won't).
>
> I highly suspect a hardware failure since it never has been properly cleaned
> (and I also found a mushed-up tape once).
>
> So, I've been trying various mt commands and they each fail (except status)
> with:
> /dev/st0: I/O error
>
> tar also fails with I/O error
>
> dump -B 4000000 -0uf /dev/nst0 /dev/sda1
> EOT detected at beginning of the tape!
>
> I am wondering whether it is normal that the mt error is prompted
> "instantly". Am i right to think about replacing the drive, or could there
> be anything else to do?

Why not clean the drive? :-) Could the EOT sensor be dusty?

ael
--
A E Lawrence

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linksys Ethernet Card
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:40:15 GMT

You need the tulip driver.  It comes in 2 versions:

1. One by Donald Becker http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html.  This
driver is not supported in kernel 2.4 yet. (It may be now).
2. One from @mandrake.com, maintained at sourceforge
http://sourceforge.com/projects/tulip.
This driver compiles and runs in both 2.23 and 2.4.

Also read the comments at the scyld site about RH's 7.0 shortcomings.

Hope this helps.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  WB3KUM/9 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have Red Hat V7.0 Lynix installed on at Intel Pentium machine.  The
> installation does not recognize my Ethernet card.  As a post Red Hat
> installation exercise, I am unable to install a Linksys 10/100 Network
> card, Model NC 100, PCI interface.
>
> Has anyone been successful installing this card?  If so, please
explain
> the procedure.
>
> Many Thanks In Advance!
>
> Please reply here or to this e-mail address
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Jarl Friis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: will Mandrake Linux 7.2 support HP Officejet G85?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:53:32 +0100

Denise wrote:

> Dear all,
> anyone try that sucessfully? Would u kindly give me a hint how to do that?
> Thanks a lot!   :)

I don't know of any Mandrake specific issues, but there is a well working
driver on http://hpoj.sourceforge.net, you can print and scan *using SANE)
compiled for libptal, have a look at the SRPM and RPMs at
http://213.237.48.227/~jarl/hpoj/ (don't rely on the uptime)

Read the PRINTING-HOWTO included in the hpoj source, it describes all the
necesary to have G85 to print.

Read the SCANING-HOWTO included in the hpoj source, it describes ... well
make a guess :-)

I have a G85 and it works great, prints also in colour :-)

Jarl