Linux-Hardware Digest #295, Volume #9            Fri, 29 Jan 99 00:13:43 EST

Contents:
  Re: S: Bios-Driver (Eric Wick)
  Re: Netgear FA310TX NIC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) (jedi)
  Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95? (David Fox)
  Re: sound: SB16 PnP: Midi devices: none (Vladimir Florinski)
  Re: Winmodem or no?? (Rick Brice)
  Video capture (Oliver Jones)
  Re: Anyone have the Avatar Shark Linux driver? (Grant Guenther)
  Re: Red Hat 5.2 and SCSI U2W ("A Nourai")
  Re: Backpack CD & SuSE install (Grant Guenther)
  Re: ZIp 250: kernel and driver versions, and ECP/EPP mode. (Neil Zanella)
  Re: FINALLY!! OPTi931 sound card is working!! BUT... ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Re: ZIp 250: kernel and driver versions, and ECP/EPP mode. (Neil Zanella)
  Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10 (Andrew Sun - UCE revokable account)
  Re: data acquisition (Mircea)
  Re: TV in/out on ASUS TNT? (Ralph Metzler)
  Re: infrared driver (Ralph Metzler)
  STB nVidia AGP Card Problem (Rob Smallwood)
  Emulex SCSI MD21 with SPARC (Martin Pineault)
  CFDISK for SPARC?? (Martin Pineault)
  ZIP mount help (Xiaoyong Wu)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: Re: S: Bios-Driver
Date: 28 Jan 1999 12:20:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>is there a driver for Linux, that use the Bios-Routines to drive the Harddisk
>>in the System?
>
>What ?

DOS can use the Controller in every PC to drive the Harddisk. Since Win this
Routines will be replaced with faster and better Drivers. But not all
Hardware are supported.
If someone code a Driver that use the Harddisk trough the internal
Bios-Routines, Linux will support (slow but i does) really all Controllers.
This could be used to the Point when the right Driver is ready.

Bye
Eric Wick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX NIC
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:21:11 GMT

I see lots of problems too!  Framing errors and stuff.
I even downloaded their October tulip.c from:
http://netgear.baynetworks.com/support/
and it improved but didn't fix.

Any recommendations of what cards WILL work?

Jim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:45:15 -0800

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:11:26 -0500, Iain Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Following is the entire text of my exchange with 3COM "support", edited
>only to
>>remove my e-mail address from the .sigs.  The initial message was
>transmitted to
>>them from their web site; the rest is e-mail.  I submitted the web site
>inquiry
>>on November 29 and their first response was on 9 January.
>>
>>I hope everyone appreciates the identitification of OS/2 and Linux as
>"legacy
>>systems".
>
>Duh, weren't we stupid for buying a Winmodem.  You'll find that if you read
>the box to your modem that you bought a piece of crap Winmodem.

        Actually, the disclaimers are getting harder and harder to find...

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 04:44:59 -0800

whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com (Paul E Larson) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d
>. e d u (David Fox) wrote:
> >Can anyone find a better price than $55.95 on a modem listed as
> >working with Linux on http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html, or
> >otherwise known to be compatible?  At www.buycomp.com I found the Best
> >Data #56SF for $55.95.  Its not "V.90", is that important?  Test your
> >surfing/shopping skills!
>
>  http://www.compgeeks.com/cgi-bin/prod_disp.asp?cat=ModemsTelephony has
> some inexpensive modems - external and internal.

The contest is to find a particular one cheaper than $55.95 that you
*know* will work with Linux.  Many of the ones there are soft modems.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound: SB16 PnP: Midi devices: none
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:15:47 -0700

Neil Zanella wrote:

> After recently compiling kernel 2.0.36 on a RHL5.0 box with
> the "Creative Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects PnP ISA" card I
> got the following output:

> All the tests described in the Sound HOWTO work fine for me, but I find
> the fact that there are no midi devices configured a little bit strange,
> though I am glad I never had to use the "isapnp" tool.

In your kernel config, UART401 is not set (option MPU-401 UART Midi support)
Could this be the problem?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. This MIDI device refers to external MIDI
interface (to connect, e.g., a MIDI keyboard). It's the synth device that plays
your MIDI files to the card. Yours is configured for FM synth only; if you have
wavetable, upgrade with the SB AWE package.
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Rick Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.modems
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:45:16 -0500

Not Really.......
There are just too many vague generalities and too many combinations.
Its more like a specification than a standard.
I've found boxes and interfaces that logically should be dce and are dte and vice
versa.
I've found interfaces on boxes that defy all logic as to which signals are on
which pins of the RS-232? interface.
I think this obfuscation is deliberate on the part of the manufacturer.
Why? You tell me?
Rick

--
==============
Earth is a small target suspended in space......

------------------------------

From: Oliver Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video capture
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:34:28 -0500

Can anyone recommend a video capture card for Linux - x86?

Thanks in advance?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Guenther)
Subject: Re: Anyone have the Avatar Shark Linux driver?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 12:06:00 GMT

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:01:10 GMT, steve krisjanovs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Since Avatar went belly up I've had an impossible time tracking down the
>linux drivers for this neat little drive that I have.
>
>Can anyone help out? Was there anyone lucky enough to snag these before
>Avatar's site went offline? All I can find are the windows drivers....

If you are looking for a driver for the parallel port Shark - it has
been part of the standard kernel for year now.  The link on Avatar's
site was just a pointer to the Linux parallel port homepage at
http://www.torque.net/parport/ .

If you have PCMCIA drive, it should be supported by the Linux PCMCIA
package.

Grant R. Guenther                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "A Nourai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 and SCSI U2W
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:06:26 +1100

Its supported in the new SuSE 6.0 (English version being released in
febraury I heard).
so i guess the driver is developed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Guenther)
Subject: Re: Backpack CD & SuSE install
Date: 28 Jan 1999 12:11:54 GMT

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:21:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to install SuSE from a backpack CD drive.
>
>I boot from the installation diskette, then when I'm at the load modules
>menu I select CD-ROM.  From there I then select microsolutions backpack
>and am prompted to supply parameters for "bpck".
>
>What parameters do I supply ?  I can find anything in the SuSE manual
>and a search of the SuSE homepage doesn't turn up anything.

There are no version numbers here - what kernel is on your boot floppy ?
Under normal circumstances you should not have to enter any parameters.

If the driver is not loading properly, give the parameters

        verbose=1

to get an expanded report on the autoprobe.  You can use the ALT-F keys
to move to other screens, one of which will contain the debug messages.

Grant R. Guenther                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIp 250: kernel and driver versions, and ECP/EPP mode.
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:42:46 -0330

Well,

I was getting something like

scsi: resource busy or device not supported.

Now I am using SPP, imm 0.18, and kernel 2.0.36, and my drive works just

fine.

By the way, how do I make an ext2 file system on the floppy without

having to boot into DOS to get rid of the software stored on the floppy.

The howto mentions some sort of write protection software on the disk

and the development of some Linux software to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FINALLY!! OPTi931 sound card is working!! BUT...
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:22:05 +0000

I was able to figure out the line in rc.sysinit producing the errors. It
is:

depmod -a

Still, what does the messages below mean?? It seems to use
/lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep.

This is probably a result of me manaully copying ALL *.o files from
/usr/local/linux/drivers/sound to /usr/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc. In any
case, my sound card is now working!!!

/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sound_syms.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/midi_syms.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/v_midi.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/uart401.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/trix.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sscape.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/softoss2.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sgalaxy.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sb.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/pss.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/pas2.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/opl3sa2.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/opl3sa.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/maui.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/mad16.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/gus.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/cs4232.o: unresolved symbol(s)

------------------------------

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:44:25 -0330

I see none now that it works as I do an "insmod imm".

I will try imm 0.20 once more and see if there still is a problem with it

under SPP mode.

Thanks,

Neil

From: Andrew Sun - UCE revokable account <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:56:19 GMT

Moe wrote:

> I'm trying to connect via PPP to the University of Wisc PPP server. The modem
> connects and then I see garbage chars (in /var/log/messages that is).
>
> What would I see if they're assuming I'm going to start using PPP right away?

That is a variable too,
and depends on the server setup.

You may see:
   Nothing at all. . .
        It's waiting for your PPP.
   Apparent garbage with "~", "{", and other characters,
        which is PPP.
   A login prompt, which your suppose to ignore.

> And how do I login?

PPP itself features authentication support
(usually called PAP or CHAP).
That's how you would identify yourself.

--
Sun, Andrew, "Using & Managing PPP," O'Reilly

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: data acquisition
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:14:08 -0500

Yes, FET for "field effect transistor". The linear characteristic is
where it acts as a voltage-controlled resistor.

MST

------------------------------

From: Ralph Metzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV in/out on ASUS TNT?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 15:06:25 +0100

"Martin Wahlstr=F6m" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to use the sVHS/video in/out functions of
> my ASUS AGP-3400TNT/TV card?
>
> Just checked video4linux, but it seems that it just supports 'TV-cards'
> and not TV functions on graphics cards.
>
> Any hints, URLs, etc?

Sorry, but no.
nVidia does not supply the needed programming information for any Riva card=
.

Ralph

Ralph Metzler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]=

Institute for Theoretical Physics
Cologne, Germany
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------------------------------

From: Ralph Metzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: infrared driver
Date: 28 Jan 1999 15:11:59 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz) writes:

> Serje Beaudoin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I try to find one infrared driver for linux> Someone know something
> > about that ???
>
> I am interested in this too.
>
> I would like to have my computer handle all my remote controls, because
> there are too many things they can't do.
>
> I want the TV/stereo to mute when I answer with speakerphone.
> I want a single universal remote to control everything, including MP3s
> playing on the computer.
> I would like to be able to dial the speakerphone with the remote.
> I want the stereo to switch to "Aux" input when I play music on the
> computer.
>
> And so on.
>
> So I guess I need hardware to receive the signals from the remote, and
> transmitters I can hang on the TV, cable box, stereo, etc.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?
>
> miguel

I started something like this in 1996:

http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/lirc/index.html

but did not do any work on it since then.
It has been vastly improved by Christoph Bartelmus:

http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~columbus/lirc/

who also now plans support for some IrDA devices (those which support CIR).

From: Rob Smallwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STB nVidia AGP Card Problem
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:48:49 +0000

Gues what, it doesn't work.

I've re-installed the X Window server to use the SVGA binaries and all
that happens is that the screen flashes with the login prompt and you
can't get any further.....

Any suggestions.. ?

The machine is a Dell XPSR 450.

Cheers

Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Pineault)
Subject: Emulex SCSI MD21 with SPARC
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:32:45 GMT

We have set a external ShowBox from old SUN-3 SCSI.  The boot SCSI
scan and PROM from the SPARC IPX detected OK.

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: EMULEX   Model: MD21/S2     ESDI Rev: A00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 01

But can seem to get the geometry correctly.

FDISK report:

SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 4 lun 0 return code = 28000000
extra data not valid Current error sd08:10: sense key Not Ready
Additionnal sense indicates Illegal function (should use 20 00, 24 00,
26 00)
scsi I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0, absolute sector 0

"Unable to read /dev/sdb"

Help!

Martin Pineault  /* Keep looking for it, soon you will find it. */
OSG Inc.         /* Those who search, will live till the end.   */
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   /* Have we ever met, be gentle and polite.     */
http://www.osginformatique.com  /* Suggestions?  French available.    */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Pineault)
Subject: CFDISK for SPARC??
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:32:38 GMT

We just bought Linux for Sparc and do not have cfdisk utility, only
the README.cfdisk file.  We've try to MAKE it.  But no luck yet.  It
keep saying "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition"
                          "Press any key to exit fdisk   "

Someone could help?

We've sent email to Ms Martin but no answer yet.

Thank you.

From: Xiaoyong Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZIP mount help
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:31:29 -0500

I met some problem when I tried to mount my iomega zip disk.
I can see that the zip drive is detected by Linux.
when I mounted it, it complained.
I am using kernel 2.0.36. Is that possible that the kernel does not
support zip?