Hello.

On 01/15/2015 11:34 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

I still do not understand what we are trying to fix here. Why is
"adi,adxl34x" compatible string no good anymore? If we start using exact
models and the physical device does not match do we abort probe? What is
the problem that we are solving here?

Because there's no guarantee that the driver actually supports all
"adi,adxl34<x>" with <x> = 0..9, some of which don't exist yet.

That's one of the reasons. Another one is that the adxl34x driver won't match
DT nodes that list the "adi,adxl34x" compatible value in positions other than
the first.

Let's also not forget that wildcards in the "compatible" prop are not really allowed.

WBR, Sergei