Tejun Heo wrote:

 Hello, Jeff.

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Tejun Heo wrote:

 Hello, Jeff and Albert.

 This patchset fixes the following race.
(port A has ATA device and B ATAPI).

port B    : ata_issue_prot() (ATAPI_NODATA)
port B    : packet_task scheduled
port A    : ata_issue_prot() (DMA)
intr    : ata_interrupt()
port A    : ata_host_intr -> this is all good & dandy
port B    : ata_host_intr -> finishes ATAPI cmd w/ error (request sense)

 This is where the race is, we're polling for port B's qc, we must not
mess with it from interrupt.  Now, port B has dangling packet_task
which will race w/ whatever will run on port B.

 The problem is that we don't always protect polled ports from
interrupts with ata_qc_set_polling() and for non-DMA ATA commands
there's no way to discern if actually an IRQ has occurred (this
sucks), so we end up finishing the other port's command.

 This condition occurs quite often if both port A and B are busy.  The
most common result is assertion failure in atapi_packet_task
(assert(qc->flags & ATA_QCFLAG_ACTIVE)), but depending on timing and
on SMP, weirder things could happen, I think.

 Note that for ATAPI_DMA, interrupt from the other port won't mess
with a polled command as we can tell that it's not ours with
bmdma_status, but, if spurious interrupt occurs on the port, the
packet_task will go dangling.  That's why ATAPI_DMA also needs
protection.  The baseline is that all polled qc's need to be protected
with ata_qc_set_polling() until polling task is done with the command.

[ Start of patch descriptions ]

While this is something to look into, the supplied patches are definitely not the way we want to go. We need to follow the state diagram for the PACKET command protocol. ATA4 [1] diagrams are a good thing to read, since they include mention of the behavior of certain ATAPI devices that can send an interrupt between taskfile-out and write-cdb steps in the sequence.

In patch #2, you're making ata_irq_on() way too heavy. In patch #1, calling ata_qc_set_polling() for non-polled commands is a hack.

Have you received patches in the reverse order? #1 changes ata_irq_on() and #2 adds ata_qc_set_polling().

Hmmm, only a call to ata_chk_status() is added to ata_irq_on(), which I think is needed regardless of other changes, and ata_wait_idle() is removed. Does that make the function heavy?

The better solution is to track the PACKET command protocol state much more closely, so that the code _knows_ when it should and shouldn't be getting an interrupt.

This is required anyway because, as mentioned in another email, an ATA device might assert INTRQ for certain events, such as non-data commands, where the controller is not required to assert the BMDMA IRQ bit.

I _suspect_ that many host controllers cause the BMDMA IRQ bit to track the ATA INTRQ status precisely, but this theory has not been validated.

    Jeff

[1] http://www.t13.org/project/d1153r18-ATA-ATAPI-4.pdf

Without interrupt pending information from BMDMA bit for non-DMA commands (which I don't think we can use for non-DMA cmds as we'll never be sure if all controllers behave that way), the problem is that for many SATA controllers, more than one ports share single interrupt line. And without interrupt pending bit, shared interrupt means a lot of spurious interrupts making it impossible to know when to expect interrupts.

Incorrect...  this is why I keep harping on the "ATA host state machine."

You rely on proper implementation to know when to expect interrupts. Read the state diagrams, they tell you precisely when an interrupt may be expected. By definition, any other interrupt is probably a PCI shared interrupt, or a hardware or software bug.

IDE driver deals with this by having only one command active per interrupt, but SATA doesn't have such scheme yet. And I don't know if such a scheme is desirable at all. Maybe just continuing to poll non-DMA commands (which isn't much a burden anyway) and keeping DMA commands fast is a better approach.

The IDE driver has a high density, but look closely... it follows the ATA host state machine as well.

So, how should we do here? To follow ATA/ATAPI state machine, we need to implement exclusion among ports sharing an interrupt. Is this the way to go? Arggggggg... Lack of interrupt pending bit is such a pain in the ass. :-(

If the code knows what state its in, it knows whether or not to expect an interrupt. All that state information should already be synchronized by spinlock(host-lock), too.

        Jeff