Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:19:15 +0200
From: Pablo Saratxaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: hebrew keymappings]

Kaixo!

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 09:36:59AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> 1. about the localename: I don't know if it means much, but recently there
> was a discussion in linux-il mailing list about the name of the hebrew
> locale, and if I understood it corretly - they concluded that the locale
> name is "iw" (a strange way to pronounce "ivrit").
> The discussion starts at:
> http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Linux/maillists/99/09/msg00349.html

Ok; I read the thread.
The one advocating 'iw' has done that on the only basis that it is what
is used on original iso-639 document.

As newer versions of iso-639 define 'he', and as HTML 4.0 uses 'he',
as well as XFree86 and glibc include 'he' in their more recent versios;
I think the case is closes: it is 'he'.
'iw' is the old name and it can be found here and there; it should be put
in the Hebrew-HOWTO somewhere about that, so people know and are not mislead
to use wrong locale name. (The 'hb' used in some script was obviously
an abbreviation the author of the script invented himself)

A similar case happens with Indonesian language; origianl iso-639 says 'in';
but it has been changed to 'id' now.

Can you make follow this to the ML please ?

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.ping.be/~pin19314/           PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975