> Just like MAPS RBL and MAPS ORBS.

ORBS is not related to MAPS.

>                               You just choose which level of spam
> protection you want on your mail server. For low risk you can do none
> or just MAPS RBL, if you want more protection you can use ORBS, and if
> you're really desparate you also use DUL. You're sending e-mails
> directly from your dialup-line because *most* hosts aren't desparate
> enough to use DUL. Some are, though, so you better configure your
> mailer to use your ISP's mail relay.

Actually, it's more of a philosophical question; the MAPS RBL only
lists IP addresses which are associated with `hard' network abusers,
e.g. bulk friendly ISPs, etc.  So sites choosing to block traffic (or
SMTP) from IP addresses listed on the RBL know fairly well that they
won't lose real email.

The DUL lists dynamically assigned IP addresses.  It's supposed to list
only address blocks which were submitted to MAPS by their owner, but
that isn't what always happens.  Theoretically, users of the DUL accept
the fact that they won't receive email from dynamic IP addresses.  But,
as we've just seen, not all dynamic IP users are spammers.  I think the
DUL is an inferior solution.  Who says dynamic IP email is bad?  What
will happen with IPv6?  I also think that it's wrong to force users to
use their ISP's mail hub.  (Or worse; invisibly redirect SMTP traffic
to that host.)

Lastly, the ORBS database lists open SMTP relays.  Even if a relay has
never been used for net abuse purposes but ORBS finds out about it, it
will get listed.  The ORBS database also lists some hosts which relay
mail only for e.g. the ORBS test machine, and so are NOT really a risk
to the Internet.  Sites using the ORBS database implicitly choose not
to receive email from such hosts, and thus can lose mail.