On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 05:27:24PM +0200, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> > You can generally do it, but many sites use the MAPS DUL system to
> > block such mails (because spammers often use this capability to send
> > mass e-mails and escape liability with the ISP, because they don't
> > touch the ISP's mail server this way).
>
> What do they do? Catch everything on port 25 and redirect it to
> the mailserver and then block whatever they don't like? Am I right
> in thinking that anything sent by sendmail without a smart host
> will be blocked then? Sorry for ignorance, at least I am trying to
> be enlightened?

Are you talking about the MAPS DUL guys? They are just collecting IP
ranges that ISPs around the world assign to dialup lines. I don't
think it's an automatic process. Then any mail server administrator
who chooses to use MAPS DUL configures the MTA on his mail server to
check the source IP of each connection, whether it's in the DUL list,
and if it is, reject the connection.

Just like MAPS RBL and MAPS ORBS. You just choose which level of spam
protection you want on your mail server. For low risk you can do none
or just MAPS RBL, if you want more protection you can use ORBS, and if
you're really desparate you also use DUL. You're sending e-mails
directly from your dialup-line because *most* hosts aren't desparate
enough to use DUL. Some are, though, so you better configure your
mailer to use your ISP's mail relay.

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]   +-----------------------

If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?

PGP signature