On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Adir Abraham wrote:

> We had few similar problems in the Linux Installation Party -- we couldn't
> make LILO finding the Linux partition, or the Windows 98 partition on a
> very few computers, so it simply just skipped them away going directly
> into Windows 98, or Linux, so the (temporary) solution was to give him a
> LILO diskette to manually boot Linux whenever he needs, and that way we

there's this one linux loader that is a DOS program and does not sit on
the MBR, called loadlin. it's on every major linux disribution CD that I
know, and on mirrors across the globe. I've always used it for dual-boot
machines since every once in a while you need to reinstall the windows
partition, and you spend half an hour figuring out how to make a rescue
floppy to reinstall LILO (10 minutes to find a floppy, 15 more to find
one w/o bad sectors, and 5 minutes to fix the problem).

another option is to buy Boot Magic or System commander, but we're not
all Rothchilds :-)

anyway, loadlin should be added to your autoexec.bat (it's a simple
procedure since DOS 6.0 and up support config.sys menus) and remember to
copy the new kernel image to c:\loadlin or somewhere each time you
compile a new one. does not work with initrd.gz AFAIK, but I don't know
anyone who compiles that way anyway.

good luck!