On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 01:06:10PM +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> and I have a slightly related Q... lately I needed to hand in a few Java
> Applets as excercises for school, I sadly turned on Java support in
> Netscape, knowing it will get it stuck (and it does get stuck a lot,
> eating 99% of the CPU, leaking memory and eating the entire swap
> partition, dies only with SIG 9)
>
> the problem is that many times the netscape process leaks over 200Meg of
> swap, but it remains "used" once I kill the process. the RAM is freed,
> but the machine is heavy as hell because it won't free up the swap and
> swap back in all the other apps.

I think it's the kernel's speed consideration to not move stuff around
from disk without need. When those other app's procs wanna run again,
the hardware will need them back in RAM so they'll all slowly return
while the buffer space is given up. No use to force it, if it's done
on demand. Well, atleast in theory :)

Now, how my Linux manages to go into 2MB swap, with 160MB physical RAM,
70MB of them in buffers is still a mystery to me ... yet another
optimization consideration? :)

--
Best regards,
Ilya Konstantinov a.k.a Toastie