Omer Musaev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Shaul Karl wrote:
>
> > An idea: give up on the /dev/modem link. That is, use /dev/ttyS1 instead.
>
> A good idea. I have a probably better idea:

<sarcastic comments snipped>

While I am quite prepared to share Omer's sarcasm, the idea to give up
on the /dev/modem link looks good. As usual, RTFM helps. Here is a
snippet from the mgetty info pages:

   I'd recommend against using `/dev/modem' as a link to the real
   device, but if you do that, make it a *hard link* to the
   appropriate `/dev/ttyS*'. A soft link will cause problems with the
   device ownership because of a peculiarity in the linux `chown()'
   implementation (that I refuse to work around).

Well, now someone will surely scorn me for not RTFMing enough before
asking a question. For better or for worse, there are too many FMs,
and it took the sharp eye of Shaul Karl to notice that /dev/modem was
used by pppd, while mgetty preferred ttyS1. Once that became the focus
(with a little help from Geoff Mendelson), finding the right spot in
the info was quick.

Anyway, I booted with the mgetty stanza in inittab, and dialed out. To
be perfectly honest, I compiled and installed a new kernel in the
meantime, but I have little doubt that /dev/modem was the culprit
indeed. Will check.

Thanks, guys.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"... We work but wit, and not by witchcraft;