hi guy,

the information below is not entirely correct.
the official statement from the gcc project is available at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html
i have been unable to find redhat's official response to this issue, but
have seen it before. short sum (be warned that my memory sometimes has
parity errors, so i might be mistaken): they made a business decision,
they didn't fork the gcc tree but rather took a development branch for
its enhanced c++ abilities and tested it internally before releasing.
also, any patches they made for it are fed back to the main tree. so
it's not exactly a black and white issue "redhat is evil".

none of the above of course means that you would catch me even having a
redhat7.0 cd near one of my machines.

guy keren wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Omer Zak wrote:
>
> > I remember that there was some stench about gcc version 2.96 or something.
>
> no stench about gcc 2.96, but rather about redhat 7.0 . gcc's latest
> official version (as far as i'm still updated) is 2.95 . 2.96 is a
> developmenet version that is known to be broken. redhat people just seem
> to have been too trigger-happy and installed it before checking what it
> was. i guess it's also a "bug" with gcc's people, that didn't call it
> 2.96pre or something similar. this "version" cannot compile the linux
> kernel.
>
> --
> guy
>
> "For world domination - press 1,
>  or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead