glibc is also in www.gnu.org

|  > I remember that there was some stench about gcc version 2.96 or something.
|
|  no stench about gcc 2.96, but rather about redhat 7.0 . gcc's latest
|  official version (as far as i'm still updated) is 2.95 . 2.96 is a
|  developmenet version that is known to be broken. redhat people just seem
|  to have been too trigger-happy and installed it before checking what it
|  was. i guess it's also a "bug" with gcc's people, that didn't call it
|  2.96pre or something similar. this "version" cannot compile the linux
|  kernel.

Actually 2.96 is a redhat version, I mean they wrote the changes in and
it's not offcial test even it's not broken anymore the only problem is
that they added some stuff to the STL and namespace. and they made it much
stricker by default.
it can't compile the kernel as guy said