that is really not true a look of the good parts of linux were developed
by companies (like redhat suse ibm sgi nvidia and so on)
which actually pay thier programers:-)
and those who are not getting payed usually don't officialy "work"
and it depended on thier good will if they would or not write code

I guess good high tec company need more than that;)

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University
Jerusalem Israel