Hi

1. I am sorry to hear. I bought my 1200CU (a similar model, I think) about
a year ago, after seeing it appeared in linux/Documentation/usb/scanner.txt
as 'supported' and ignoring the 'NOTE: Just because a product is listed here
does not mean that applications exist that support the product.'.
Only around 12/2000 they released the driver you mentioned (which partially
works with 1200CU too).
During the wait, I, and other people, sent several emails to them, and
got replies similar to the one you got. In short, I don't recommend it
to anyone.
In a side note, if anybody is looking for a USB scanner under linux,
then you might want to check the archives of the sane-devel ML.
A few weeks ago someone asked what scanner to buy, and there were several