"Oded Arbel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Wrote:

> I do not know what was the original status of MOSIX or what the allegations
> were, but the setting you described here will violate the GPL as it is
> usually interpeted (again : IANAL and I don't think this was ever conteseted
> in court) IF :
>     the binary code will link in run time (or in any way run in cooperation
> with) a GPLed code, while at the same time not doing anything useful w/o
> having the GPLed code around.

The status of MOSIX was as described and there is no argument
about us being (at the time) in violation of the GPL:
we were probably also in violation of the Microsoft license
(for not displaying the Microsoft logo), the Iranian constitution
(for working from Israel), the Jewish law (for whatever parts were
written during the Shabbat) and many other laws of different states,
companies and organizations.

The whole GPL-based arguments are irrelevant: we were distributing
a piece of software that was written and copyrighted solely by us,
we did not copy anybody else's code (including implicitly due to compilation),
therefore we have the right to issue our own software in any way we like.
The purpose/usefullness of this code is also irrelevant, so long as it is
legal (eg. not designed to produce bombs, drugs or for other crimes), and
there is no law against linking one's software against another piece of
legally-obtained software.

> of course - Linus' attitude as described in this forum a number of times
> would probably mean you won't get sued..

We would not get sued because:
1. MOSIX is now GPL anyway.
2. we violated no law, we stole nobody's intellectual-property.
   (to remind you, in a court of law, the judge(s) go by the law
   of the land, not by the GPL).

Linus' attitudes are irrelevant: they only matter in the context
of GNU/Linux, for those wishing to copy, distribute or modify
code/binary that includes his Copyrighted/licensed work.

Amnon Shiloh -- the HUJI MOSIX group.