This is all a bit odd. I installed SO5.2 way back from the SuSE 7.1 distro
(which put it in /opt). I had no trouble bringing it it up subsequently, under
both my superuser and regular accounts. It works like a charm. (Well, it aint
exactly a winner for speed, but it gets the job done.) Maybe you should try the
SuSE rpm? (Schlomo Schapiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> should have it on his ftp
site.)

DAF