On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Erez Boym wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm surprised to c that such a simple Q startled up so
> much commotion. A simple "Yes, install your M$Win
> fonts and everything will be OK" would have done the
> trick.

Actually, you don't have to use MS fonts. Latest versions of XFree (since
4.0.3?) come with misc-fixed font for the encoding iso-10646-1 , that also
cover the hebrew glyphs. It doesn't look pretty (espcially when you try to
scale it) but it is sure much more readable than gibrish.

Tip: try to play a bit with the sizes and find the exact size in which id
does look reasonable.

> Just for the record I posted that Q after trying to
> look at IOL (Sorry I didn’t try IGLU) finding IOL all
> messed up with some upside fonts and garbage, Reading
> TFM (The English one) and not finding anything useful
> there so I asked u ……. I guess that some thing just
> got messed up during my installation and Konqueror
> just didn’t perform as it was expected to.
>
> BTW Installing the M$Win fonts did fix everything.
>
> Sorry that my Q was so simple 4 all the superior minds
> on this list. Next time if you don’t have the time or
> the Q is too stupid 4 u , just don’t answer it.

Obviously people did not exactly understand what you were asking. "Does
konqueror have hebrew support" can mean:

* Are there any problems with fonts? [Generally not, but maybe for
  ISO-8859-8, depending on your version of QT]
* Are there any problems with logical and visual hebrew? [mostly not, I
  believe that there are still a few minor bugs here and there, but
  nothing critical]
* Can I type Hebrew [keyboard settings are not directly related to
  konqueror]
* Can I print Hebrew [depends on your version of QT and KDE]

Actually most people got the impression that you asked a general question,
whereas you had a spesific problem. A short description of the problem
would have been better, I believe:

  Konqueror does not display hebrew for me. I have this-and-that distro,
  recently installed, Version this-and-that of KDE. Do I need some special
  fonts?

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign