On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:31:21 +0300 (IDT)
Ely Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yea but they should at least get payed for it once,
> IMHO there is a diffrence between making your own software in GPL
> and between taking a design which someone worked 400 hours on and copy it
> in 10 minutes

Have you ever written software? Because the process you mention looks
completely out of touch with reality. Just as a Litmus test, you have
BOTH the design and the source of: GIMP, Apache, Linux kernel, Abi-word,
etc. How much time/effort do you think it would require you to create
*new code* based on those proven design....

Creating complex software system is almost never the result some "briliant
design" that is than just "coded" into a language of choice. Take for
example the domain of word processing. How many *new radical ideas*
exist today in this field?  Nontheless, there are many different word
processors (there used to be many more before MS killed them) with very
different qualities and styles.

As someone else on this list already noted. Good *implementation* of
an idea is what distinguishes good applications from the others.
In software -- the implementation is the code (which is covered by
a some license).

> and last point GPL is a choise if someone chose to make his program GPL
> great. but if someone didn't do we have the right to force him by copying
> his program in a GPL way?
> is it ethicly right?

Do you try to imply the GPL gives you some rights to NON-GPL programs
written by OTHER people??? What have you been drinking?
I suggest you reread the GPL before mumbling about it in public forums.

Sorry if I was harsh. People are entitled to have their own opinions,
but at least we should try to have the FACTS strait. We have enough
spin doctoring done by the non-free/OSS side of the universe.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron

Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.
                -- Allen Wong