Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>You all brought here stories where this was necessary, but nobody bothered
>telling a story where the support person (acting methodically with a
>checklist) got to a point which they ignored.

fine.

My parents, after refurbshing their house, returned and tried to get
their ADSL working again. While away, their HD was erased. When I came
back, I was already equipped with the HOWTO, but couldn't get connected.

I called Actcom's support (windows, this time). The support call started
with "press start, control panel", but pretty soon the support person
was talking in "let's look what the username in the pptp section is".
Within five minutes he found both a place where I misread/had an old
HOWTO, and entered the wrong username, and an expiery in their
authentication servers that caused it not to connect even after the
right user name was used.

What I'm saying is that a good tech support can methodologically find
the problem even without dictating every mouse move and click to the
user, if those are not required.

                Shachar