On Tuesday 17 September 2002 21:22, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:32:21 -0400
>
> Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It would be just more rightful to call those Linux support guys of
> > Netvision "person, who MUST SUPPORT WINDOWS and MAY support Linux IN
> > CASE OF NEED".
>
> Getting *professional* support from "part-time" Linux support person?
This support person is not DEDICATED to supporting Linux, s/he just may
support it. And yes, you may get fully professional support from somebody who
knows both Linux and Windows. I don't believe it's worth for the ISP to keep
dedicated Linux support person, for several reasons :
- Linux users are usually highly literate and may take care of their problems
by themselves, therefore they call tech support rarely at least - actually
they call tech support almost only to inform the ISP of its own problems :-)
- There is no reason to keep highly literate person for pretty high salary
just to answer two - three calls a day, if any.
The conclusion is clear - NO DEDICATED SUPPORT PERSON, WINDOWS FIRST AND THEN
LINUX.

> I hope for Netvision they don't really select their support people
> that way (have no idea, I'm a happy Actcom "dial-up" customer for
> about 5 years).
Literate person costs a lot of money to train or hire. For the vast majority
of Israeli computer users, "support monkey" is more than enough.

> > Learn to support Windows. Or be unemployed.
>
> Companies that choose their professionals (Windows/Linux/whatever)
> via meaningless certifications, are exactly the companies I would
> avoid in the first place.
Unfortunately, THEY would avoid YOU . Your resume just wouldn't pass their
incoming "filter", if it bears no certification. Remember that those are HR
people who do the initial filtering, and not IT people.
> You can imagine the criteria they apply
> later for the quality of your work...
It depends. The certification may be very valuable gem for the HR person, who
does the initial CV filtering, and may as well mean nothing for the IT person
who happens to be your manager.

--

Regards,
Alex Chudnovsky