Guy Baruch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [25/09/02 12:27]:

> There's something in this thread I may be a bit too simple to understand.
>
> I assume bidi support is really better than in current products, are the
> algorithms
> patented ?
This question never occured to me, and he didn't mention anything about
it. I think that when he released the first versions, people were not
patenting algorithms, and I don't think he ever published the algorithm,
so my guess is that they are not patented. I'll ask him. Anyway, he
claims (and I believe him) that bidi support in Qtext is significantly
better than in M$ word.

> if so, I'm not really sure what good will releasing _the source_ to public
> domain will do, at least for law-abiding entities ( {persons} \subset
> {entities} ... :) ).
>
> If , OTOH, there are no patents, than wouldn't releasing the source be
> beneficial to other projects regardless of the porting effort ?
Yes, assuming the people who work there are willing to read the source,
extract the algorithms and apply them to those projects (which, I guess,
might be quite a lot of work). If they *are* willing to do this, perhaps
getting the algorithms will be easier than getting the source.