On Friday 08 November 2002 11:05, you wrote (off list):
> hmm, i never tried rh8, i never use .0 products (too buggy).
> do you really have to use RedHat ? Use Gentoo, mplayer works beautiful.

Flamer ;-).

Seriously, though, I'd love to try Gentoo, but I am no longer on a T1, just
dial up (hope I find a new job soon enough), and I am waiting to hear from
list members that Hebrew support is on par, as well as learning more (on or
off list) about their q&a.

In the mean time, I replaced the libdvdread and libdvdcss packages for RH8.0
with those built for RH7.3 and which I know work (you all remember an earlier
post how, when installing a minimal RH7.3 system, I managed to play dvds very
nicely, without any glitches. BTW, a minimal linux system that includes xmms
and xine runs about 350 megs, not too bad), and nothing changed, which means
that they are not the culprit.

So I assume that the problem is caused by RH 8.0 X packages, although I don't
know which ones. The possible culprits, IMO are:
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.2.0-72
XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
XFree86-4.2.0-72