Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
On 2003-01-15, Guy Baruch wrote:

OK, I accept. It seems that a new hebrew SHORESH (root ?) is needed
in any case.

Agreed completely.

since a new shoresh will sound awkward no matter what
the choice is, I do indeed suggest Hei.Kav.Reish

The stem being of foreign origin, Kuv seems to me more natural that Kav?

(and here I'll use non-capital h for Hei like in hELENA)

so the HATAYOT will be exactly like in Heit.Kav.Reish :

past:
hAKART[I|A|_|EM|EN] , hAKAR[_|A|U]

present:
hOKER[ |ET |IM |OT]

future:
EhEKOR, TAhAK[OR|RU|ORNA], TAhKERI, YAhAKERU

The trouble is that to distinguish this from both Ain.Kuv.Riesh (LAAKOR)
and Heit.Kuf.Reish (LACHAKOR), one needs to say it really carefully -
which is very hard.

I don't have any really good words either.  My best idea currently is to
steal from the stem of "computer" (which leads to a natural pun on
"think") resulting in Tav.Heit.Shin.Vet:

hacker - TAHSHAV or TAHSHEVAN
hack - TIHSHUV
hacked [past] - TIHSHEV

Hmm, that sounds a bit too familiar, is it taken already?

I think that this thread is a dealy bore! CHALAS! ( = Choder Leshem Sakranut).

So a hacker is a "choles", ani choles betoch kod shel Linus ...
Six months after I have written some code, and have forgotten what it does, ani mitchales ...

People who "cholef kesef" = chalfanim, so the the community of people who choles are chalsanim ...

And of course,

chalasti,
chalasta,
chalas (tartei mashma!)

A "hack" is a chilus which often turns ot to be a chilutz.

And just for fun, a dirty hack is rechilus!

DAF