On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:35:02PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > I have a hebrew document sitting on the table next to me, made with
> > LaTeX, viewed by gv and acroread and printed through acroread, and it
> > looks absolutely fine, even the hebrew parts. If it looks bad for you,
> > try to investigate any font problems.
> >

> I use the default Hebrew font. Should I change it?

The default Hebrew font come only in metafont format, which means it will be
converted to bitmap when embedded in the PDF.
IF you want a PDF file that looks good with Acrobat reader, you need to use
either Postscript type 1 fonts (e.g. Culmus), Postscript type42 fonts,
or TTF fonts (the latter can be used only with pdflatex, but it is possible
to convert a TTF font to Postscript type 1 or 42).

> > I've never used pdflatex, but dvips -> ps2pdf works.
>
> Actually it does not (for the default English font). It creates PDFs that
> look very blurry and awful in acroread 4 or 5. (let me know if you need a
> screenshot to see what I mean).

It does work by default if you use tetex2.0.
With earlier versions, you need to write dvips -Ppdf -G0,
or add the following lines to ~/.dvipsrc

p+ bsr.map
p+ bsr-interpolated.map
p+ hoekwater.map