Quoting Nadav Har'El, from the post of Tue, 11 Mar:
> Besides, as I explained once and again, newbies *must* be given only the
> *latest* release available, because such a release will always support
> newer hardware better, and support Hebrew better. If you give someone

well, across linux-il and another LUG list I'm on, very User who tried
it complained. I haev yet to hear ONE person, other than Hetz, say a
good word about RHL8. why not use Mandrake if Hebrew is so important?

> > functionality breaks due to beta builds
> > functionality headaches due to Unicode incomplete support in apps
> > functionality slowdown due to Unicode bugs (grep for instance)
>
> I don't know anybody that this ever bothered... On the other hand many

if grep slowed down by 3(!!) orders of magnitude, you would notice, I
promise you. It was one example I read on a list, I haven't installed it
myself. I suggest people to wait for 8.1 because of these exact reasons.

> people are quite pleased by the better support for Unicode... Maybe
> you call this support "premature" because you yourself chose not to use
> it, perhaps because you use English almost exclusively on your system?

no, I call it premature because I heard it caused more trouble than it
was worth. I haven't heard a word to the contrary.

anybody?

> > and now you tell me the updates themselves take up about 600 meg?
> > youch!
>
> The updates are simply whole packages that were replaced. It includes
> the entire KDE, mozilla, apache, kernels - so no wonder it takes about
> 500 MB...

back when I used RHL, I used to make my own install CDs with Anaconda
(or whatever it was the preceded it) by including all the updates and
crypto (before it was built-in) into the main install list. One thing I
noticed that RPM can't do to this day is to survive (cd RPMS ; rpm -Fvh
*) if there are too many files in the directory. it may die and corrupt
the database. just one more reason I like apt-get better.

> As a Debian user in the last few months, I'd like to disagree. Debian
> was not more stable than Redhat (e.g., we had some glibc problems that
> I never saw in Redhat), was slower in sending out updates (e.g., to close
> the sendmail hole). It certainly wasn't bad, but I wouldn't say it wins
> over Redhat with one hand behind its back.

well, that's the give-and-take of the "unstable" path. if you want
security, you pick woody. If you want unstable you should expect
security fixes to come slightly later than on woody.

as for cross-system problems with glibc, such things happen in Rawhide
and Cooker as well, I'm sure. once or twice every year there is some
major change (libc-glibc, gcc2-3, etc) that is bound to affect all the
apps on the system. If the upgrade is done gradually and not in one
blow, that's what you get.

nobody is perfect, everyone is biased, objectivity is subjective, and
yet, I'm sure Mandrake is better than RHL fnord.

--
Yellow supremacist
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.