The things that make a long term operational system cheap have several
levels.

Before explaining the rest of this argument, it's important to make sure
the person you're talking does see how his website is his banks most
important (long term), and fragile channel for selling his services.
People will use it more and more, and people that use it can easily
switch if they feel the service they get is not trustworthy, because
they come to depend on it. So the website is something that needs to
always work perfectly. Any failure will cost money (lost customers), and
fixing the deviations will also cost a lot of money, because it'll be
urgent. And fixing things quickly requires the expensive people, which
then are in a position to name their price.

The way to avoid this, is not to depend on technologies that will
require messing around with. Since MS-specific technology is very fast
changing, the more one uses it, the more one will be subject to the
above effects.

Standards based sites are quite likely to work for as long as possible,
with minimal effect from anyone's changing technologies. Even if MS puts
out a client technology that breaks with the standard, the bank is less
affected, because it'll probably break lots of things, and be (properly)
seen as MS's fault. This last part is a little shakey, because MS sure
are good at having others pay for their choices, try not to need it.

The costs above might (or might not. ideas for numbers anyone?) be an
order of magnitude higher than the cost of simply maintaining a site
with good foundations, and even worse, they will appear as crises, and
be laid at the door of the IT manager in charge whenever they happen.
Hiring a few more costly personnel to do a proper site, OTOH, can be
presented as a wise investment. If permanently employed, then once the
site is stable, they can be used to modify the site to serve whatever
business opportunities come up. Occaisonally having opportunities
because of a wise investment is a better prospect for an IT manager than
occaisonally having crises.

Depending on the IQ of higher management, of course, but we're allowed
to hope.

Daniel