On Thursday 13 March 2003 09:12, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

> > BTW - Do you think the problem could have been related to the fact that
> > the Mandrake Control Panel didn't recognize this monitor model?
>
> Yes, which is weird. You can look at the server logs (probably
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log) and see if the server managed to read this
> from the monitor (search for DDC, EDID). If yes, Mandrake isn't
> updated with the model. If no, it's weird - I do not believe the

Sorry - I worded my question badly. Mandrake did recognize the new monitor,
but as a Generic 1600x1200 and not by modle name. And when I looked for the
model to set it up manually, there were only 4 Proview monitors on the menu
and none was mine - so, as you suggest, the list in MAndrake isn't up to
date.

> monitor does not support DDC (I am yet to find a less-than-5-years-old
> monitor who doesn't). Maybe you have a problem with the VGA cable -
> old cables (or ones with some pins defective) do not allow the DDC info
> to pass.

It's a new monitor and cable - and yes, of course you're right about DDC.

BTW - if anyone on the list has this monitor (Proview DX997 19 inch), I'd
appreciate seeing the modeline from XF86Config. That's got to be better than
randomly playing with xvidtune and hoping to improve the display. As I
already wrote, Yedidyah's suggestion helped, but the display is still not
perfect. Maybe MDK 9.1 will have updated definitions ;-).

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon