On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:58:41PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:30:55PM +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > No. Will there be? yes. That's one of the reasons for the incompatible
> > major version number, to warn you about such things.
> >
> > > Is there a workaround
> >
> > Of course. Don't pass binaries around, only source and compile on each
> > machine. Compile with -static. Install compatibility library. Heck,
> > write in java...
>
> What about what Debian do? I think what they do is to provide the right
> library versions in parallel and so allow gradual transition to the newer
> version.

RedHat (and others) also provide _backwards_ compatibility, even if not
as thorough as Debian's. The original question wasn't about that; it
was about _forward_ compatibility - running 8.0 bins on 7.2. Noone can
provide that ahead. If you apt-get install a package that was compiled
against newer libs, it will also install the new libs. But if you only
take the binaries out of the package, they will of course not run.
That is, unless you take one of mulix's suggestions.

> Sounds basic to me, but then I never had to play with this too much, just
> used apt-get and friends.
>
> --Amos

        Didi