Nadav Har'El wrote on 2003-07-06:

> I'm sure the teacher of the workshop will give them ideas, but I thought it
> would be nice if people on this list could also raise ideas for project,
> and I'll pass them on to the students (I know one of them).

- Go over GNU textutils and make sure they all understand Unicode,
  especially UTF-8.  Some utils need to be taught the difference
  between bytes and characters; more importantly some need to be
  taught to calculate character widths (e.g. in `fmt`, `fold`). ``tr``
  would need a mojor overhaul, exceeded only by adapting grep to
  support Unicode regexps (does it already) but that is probably
  beyond the scope of such a project.

- Design and implement an extension to ncursesw to support bidi in the
  most conveninet way for the application writer, so that there is
  real chance people would use it.  This might involve new escape
  sequences (or definition of semantics of unicode bidi control codes)
  if we wish to minimize breakage (e.g. cut-and-paste should be in
  logical order).  E.g. curses could transmit nested LRE/RLE..PDF
  seqences and the terminal would re-arrange them.  To limit the
  scope, perhaps they should only work in ncurses, not touching any
  terminal code (either by living with the breakage or others helping
  them with other parts).  This project is complex (and long) to do
  right; one thing it will teach them is to heavily discuss design
  ideas over mailing lists...

- Define and implement a preprocessor from implicit to explicit bidi
  for LaTeX and/or HTML (HTML already does most of it, you just need
  to derive dir attributes; LaTeX is non-trivial).

- Ask hspell, Kinneret, etc. for worthy projects...

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]