Beni Cherniavsky wrote on 2003-07-07:

> Nadav Har'El wrote on 2003-07-06:
>
> > I'm sure the teacher of the workshop will give them ideas, but I thought it
> > would be nice if people on this list could also raise ideas for project,
> > and I'll pass them on to the students (I know one of them).
> >
> [snip various things I consider doing myself]

Another one:

- Extend RFC 2646 [1]_ to be suitable to arbitrary texts, accounting
  for indentation and fill prefixes, and implement it accross some
  range of unix utils: fmt, emacs/vi, bidiv (for determining paragraph
  boundaries), perhaps a convertor to/from unicode paragraph
  separators, what else?

. [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt
   It's a beautiful idea.  It defines a "soft newline" that is visible
   yet is not significant - you are free to refill it.  Such a beast
   is very widely used in unix de-facto, it's just not separated from
   significant newlines in any deterministic ways (editors make up by
   domain-specific heuristics).  Unicode with line/paragraph
   separators still fails to define such a beast.  This RFC defines a
   newline preceded by trailing whitespace to be a soft newline.  You
   simply insert a newline break lines after whitespace rather than
   instead of it.  This also retains the amount of whitespace on a
   line break; compare this with Emacs' hack of avoiding breaking
   lines after periods followed by a single space since it would be
   confused for an end-of-sentence and will become a double space when
   refilled again...

[If you wander why my mails are not in RFC 2646 flowed text format,
you have a point, I just need to find the time to replace this pine
with some good mutt setup...]

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]