On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:38:29PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:

> i have another problem. after the base install i have 350mb left from 512,
> tasksel loaded up.

  Does that mean that base took 172mb? For some reason I believe it
should be much much less.

> the Tex/Latex is 180 mb and i need it so i installed it. (still in progress)

  Can it be that you should format your fs to use smaller blocks? Have
you seen the figures at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.htm ?

> however, i also need a desktop enviornment to see the result after the latex
> formatting.
> but, (probably) only 170mb will be left.

  Wouldn't X + an older fashion window manager suffice? That might also
be a more reasonable usage of the scare resources and might help to have
it run a bit faster.

> The target system is a basic machine i can use to write transperencies and
> documents since i have to TA ("metargel") in the technion this semester and we
> ran out of computers. (budget)
>
> the dselect is too complex, it goes on and on....

  I think that after some time with it you'll find out that it is
friendlier then you thought. One key fact is that you should learn to
wait for it. Don't push dselect. After pressing a key let it do its job.
Given the resources of the machine, it will take a long time. Just wait.
I believe that there are no Debian tools which will do the same job
faster. Yet you might consider:

    1) aptitude.
    2) dpkg.
    3) Giving up the tasks and go straight to dselect to choose only the
       packages of direct interest. Since dependencies are no problem and
       you are an experienced Linux user I believe that shouldn't be
       hard. You might also look at packages.debian.org for packages
       that contains your favorite tools.

> is there a solution?
>
> p.s: the box is thinkpad 755cx 24mb mem, 512hd p75, network card, and an
> external cdrom x6. 640x480 screen.

  If there is an option to upgrade the machine I would install more RAM.
--

    Shaul Karl,    shaulk @ actcom . net . il