Dov Grobgeld wrote:

Thanks for this and all the other recommendations. In the end I decided
to upgrade to 750kBaud ADSL and take the Bezeq provided ECI 270PR router.
I let them now my discontent about having to buy a faster connection (and paying more) than I need only because I am using Linux, but

That's a shame, you could probably get your hands on an ADSL modem abroad if you had the patience.

screaming into /dev/null is probably as effective. I'm getting the router this afternoon and will then try to set it up. Are there any good links with instructions of what I have to do to my system (RH9) to get it working?

Start with "PPPoE Linux" and you should find lots of stuff about this. It's pretty stright forward, especially from what I saw about RH9 (never tried it myself, though). I think IGLU or guides.co.il and friends have Hebrew docs if you must (look through whatsup.co.il).

Btw, once I have the fast connection I'm thinking of creating a partition with bleeding edge Linux setup. Does someone have a good
suggestion about a good distribution /environment for continously updating all packages?

My debian unstable updates virtually every day (depends on which packages you have installed). And you if you have the time for this then find experimental repositories (like "unofficial KDE" or "gnome cvs" or somesuch) and report bugs about them too.

If you like hearing your machine crunch binaries all the time (other
than rebuilding X11 in a loop :)) then Gentoo is probably for you...

--Amos