On Saturday 06 December 2003 21:55, Eli Marmor wrote:
> ... and all of the 3 big names (IBM/SUN/Novell) backing SuSE - is SusE
> the "new RH"?  Is it going to be the new "default Linux" instead of RH

No: Suse isn't Free-Software (per-seat licenses since ever), so you cannot
    hand over a CD to somebody (e.g: at an install party).
    This cannot be "default".

One of the big errors you see analysts are doing in the last years is
trying to apply normal "market-power" metrics to the Free software phenomena.
(you can re-read the funny predictions made by Gartner over the last few
years).

There are various contenders for the next "Default Linux", (Debian, UserLinux,
Fedora...) but we don't have a "winner" at the moment. This may turn out to
be a good thing, because it would force everybody to go back to cooperation
through standards (e.g: freedesktop.org, LSB, etc.) instead of relying on
"RedHat compliant" philosophy.

"Me-too" RedHat user, still evaluating my choices...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron

Free software: each person contributes a brick, but ultimately each
person receives a house in return.
           -- Brendan Scott