On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:27:06PM +0200, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2003 21:55, Eli Marmor wrote:
> > ... and all of the 3 big names (IBM/SUN/Novell) backing SuSE - is SusE
> > the "new RH"?  Is it going to be the new "default Linux" instead of RH
>
> No: Suse isn't Free-Software (per-seat licenses since ever), so you cannot
>     hand over a CD to somebody (e.g: at an install party).
>     This cannot be "default".

Another thing is that they allow themselve lower packaging standards
than RedHat (whiich generally allows itself lower packaging standards
than Debian). This is because there are practically no third-party
packages. There is no large developer base to require them to keep
decent interfaces of their distro.

Is this going to happen to RedHat? We have already seen the claims by
WhiteBox linux that RHEL published source RPMS are not the ones actually
being used to build the distribution.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+