I must say, from my own experience with RH9, it is actually
much faster than my old distro (7.3). My educated guess is as
good as any but it doesn't *feel* like a kernel problem (hehe,
yes I am a Zen master :). I might be tempted to look into the
standard C library or any other general component of the system
that practically everything uses...

Eli