Not entirely correct.

You could find some ATI [EMAIL PROTECTED] or the likes, for around 200NIS. It will
work with X out of the box. It will have zero (0) 3D abilities, and it's fine
for you.
If you want to play the simplest 3D game - let's say tux racer, you need 3D
acceleration, else you'll get around one frame every 3 or 4 seconds (it's up
to your CPU power, of course, using MESA)
Now, Tux-Racer is not what I call "advanced heavy game", so 3D acceleration
might come in handy. You could use it as well for 3D modelling (CAD programs,
etc.).
One of the advantages, generally speaking, of these cheap 3D cards (around 350
and above) is that they support quite a good 2D modeling, thus, you get
better draw speed, faster minimization of windows, etc.
You could use the open drivers supplied with X for NVidia cards, but you will
lose lots of advantages, both 2D and 3D. These are open drivers, and you get
to have the minimum required for things to work. Slow, but working.
Have complains regarding closed specs? Use them.

Being real, you do not gain the ability to debug the driver yourself (although
I believe you could debug it to some extend), but you get to "enjoy" the good
support team and good forum NVidia supplies. You could like it, and use these
drivers (BTW, they work really well), or you could oppose it, and buy a
different (non-accelerated) card, or use the default X drivers.

I think it's fair asking "why aren't these specs open", but I don't think it's
fair blaming them for closed specs, after you have bought the card, and
decided to use their drivers.

My oppinion.
Ez