On Tue, 4 May 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 3. Since I plan to ask people to run this program (it's a test program)
> on their
> machines for me I'd like to keep things as simple as possible so they
> can audit
> my code if they don't trust me or my programming abilities. From my
> experience
> with ACE simplicity is not its strongest point.
>
> All I need is to open a UDP socket and send/receive less than ten
> packets, then exit.
> No privileged stuff. No need to access the disk no fancy threads, nothing.
> I expect my C program (if written just for Linux) to be less than 500
> lines long.

we we needed to write (TCP) socket programs porable between windows and
unix, we found that this can be done with very few #ifdef-s. mostly with
getting the last error (errno Vs. WSAGetLastError), and the winsock
initialization/cleanup required by windows.

i _Assume_ the same can be down with UDP - so just write yourself 2-3
macros to hide the #ifdefs, and write the program in plain C, using the
native socket libraries of your different platforms.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,