[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi

I have read somewhere that in order to use GPL application
from a commercial application a LGPL API library could be
assembled that will be linked to GPL code. Then in a commersial
appliation could be used that LGPL library.

It is possible to do this

no

or it is a bullshit ?

also no

I'll explain. The GPL expressly forbids you to create any derived work that is not GPL itself. As such, you cannot create a library that is under the LGPL, because that in itself would be a GPL violation. The LGPL is not GPL.

Then again, the GPL is only applicable to *derived work*. The GPL does not define what is a derived work, for the simple reason it has no jurisdiction to do so. The derived work barrier is a consequence of the fact that the GPL is a copyright license, and is determined by copyright law and court precedence. The FSF have a list of what they consider derived work or not, but I find this list is no more binding than any you can make yourself.

So, if you can conceivably claim that your work is not a derived work of the GPL component you are using, you can use that component with whatever license you want, LGPL or not. If, on the other hand, your claim for non-derived work is obviously ludicrous, there is no workaround in the form of an LGPL library.

Now you may be wondering "what constitute derived work", right? The answer is.....

Ask a lawyer.

Seriously.

I can tell you my opinion, but you would be nothing short of crazy to act upon it, as I have not seen the code to which you refer, and will not take any responsibility to any actions you take accordingly.

<plug type=shameless> Lingnu is doing consulting on such matters. Some of the things we do include helping with answering exactly such questions. If you want to hire our services, we may help you ask your lawyer the right questions</plug>

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.