I have found, the hard way, that there are neither /dev/hdc* nor /dev/cdrom in my ThinkPad R40e laptop Debian/testing/non-US/main installation.

The kernel is 2.6.8 unchanged from the Debian testing package which installed it.

I did find that there is something called udev, which was supposed to automatically create the device files when CD-ROM is recognized.
The CD-ROM device was recognized (there are the appropriate dmesg messages, and there are both /proc/ide/ide0/hda and /proc/ide/ide1/hdc directories, whose "files" inside them have the information corresponding to correctly-identified hard drive and CD-ROM respectively).

I also looked to see if there is any relevant Debian package, which I neglected to install, and found nothing pertinent (I used dselect and looked for packages whose names conform to the pattern *cd*).

What should I check for now?
I do not want to manually create /dev/hdc!!!

                                             --- Omer

I may be affiliated in any way.